Saturday, November 11, 2023

Goodbye, Glorious October, and Hello Holidays!


We had a glorious October, lots of sunshine and moderate temperatures. I was able to get out on a few rides with Tweed. We worked on obstacles and basic trails, with an emphasis on going up and down hills.



We've also had our weekly lessons, or couples counseling.


We had an interesting session this week. After doing the groundwork in the round pen and then some in-saddle work, I went to open the gate with him, but Tweed knows that job so well that he started to do it himself on auto-pilot. My trainer asked if he was doing it, or if I was asking, and I said he's doing it. That was a no-no for a few reasons. First, he wasn't doing it well because he was practically slamming my leg into the gate. Second, he wasn't in vertical flexion, and third, he was getting worked up.

She told me to stay in the round pen and do more work with vertical flexion. In particular, she had me shorten the reins and bring my hands together to stabilize them while Tweed found his balance in that sweet spot. It took a bit, but we finally had it at walk, trot, a little at the lope, too, and were ready to try the gate again. This time, she wanted me to be more specific and concentrate on where I asked him to go and where to stop. She didn't want him to take one step that wasn't a deliberate ask. 

Out on the obstacles, we put that same concept to work at the balance beam, but she found another mistake I was making. I was sitting too far forward, and not back on my pockets, when I asked him to take a step onto the beam. This is a natural mistake when you're nervous about what your horse is going to do--it's that whole movement toward the fetal position. When I sat back on my pockets, it did truly engage him and give him the confidence to go forward. He jumped it, but he had a beautiful smooth, movement and came to a nice stop. We did it several times, and he jumped it each time, but my trainer was happy that he was going forward, and we ended that obstacle on a positive note and moved to another.

***



In other news, my husband continues to make progress on the sitting room/tack room, but there is so much dividing his attention that it is slow going. 


I was able to locate some salvage tin for the ceiling of the room, and we're using tongue-and-groove pine boards for the walls. The lower 45" will run horizontal and the rest will be vertical and meet up with the tin. I'm definitely going to stain the bottom portion the same color as the stalls, but I'm thinking about a turquoise blue stain for the vertical portion. Something like this.



What has been keeping us busy is that we also worked to fix up and sell our daughter's horse property. (Which is a blessing for many reasons--a fresh start for her and not having to maintain two properties through the winter). She was able to put it on the market in mid-October. She got a full price offer within a week, which is amazing in this market, and for that price range, since interest rates are so high. The people who purchased it wanted it in a month, but she compromised on December 1st....which is coming right up! Soooo, we will be in moving mode again! Yay! 

For the time being, she and our grandson will be coming here to live until they have time to sort things out and find a place of their own. It will make the holidays more special to have them with us.

Thanksgiving is coming up soon, our favorite holiday. It is so good for the soul to give thanks in the most difficult times. No matter what is happening around us, there are always these spectacular moments, sprinkled with a few signs of, you're not alone. 



8 comments:

  1. Look at your cute grandson, on a big boy tractor! We have an open door policy with our adult children. As long as they are being responsible humans, and they are. Our younger daughter moved back in with us (Harmony's mom) while she saves money to buy a house of her own. It is helpful to be around family/others during difficult times. Bonus to be with/help with horses.

    Your tackroom is going to be gorgeous! I adore weathered turquoise!! Looks so good with brown tones. I have splashes of it all over :)) I am about to start a holiday wood project in a similar stain.

    Tweed looks fantastic. Glad you are enjoying your rides & partnership work with him! I can relate to the gate scenario. Koda resorts to the same. I think most horses do, unless they are reminded who is in the driver seat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aurora. I found your original comment in spam. Sorry about that!

      Have you found a weathered turquoise stain? I was out shopping for it today, but haven’t found what I’m looking for yet. We ended up going with the blue pine lap for the vertical boards, and they’re so unique we almost don’t want to stain them! When we get all the elements together, though, I think we will see it more clearly. It’s hard to imagine it right now.

      I appreciate your perspective on helping your family. We have always felt the same way. She needs us now, more than ever, that is for damn sure. The more I look back on these last five months and see all that was put on her…🤯. Mind-boggling. But she is a strong woman and did it all. (With some extra love and help from her friends and family.) The acceptance stage of grief, or one of them, has finally come and passed. Now, there is the “what next” phase. That is full of exciting possibilities. One step at a time.

      Haha. Yes, the gate thing has definitely happened to me before with Tweed and other horses. I’ve never really cared much, and I just let them go for it. Cowboy was really good at pushing the gate open and closed with his nose. Tweed’s attitude was a bit more bratty. He was amped up that day. It was cold and the park was deserted. I think my trainer saw potential danger if we continued with him in that mindset. Fifteen sweaty minutes later, he was a solid citizen. An itchy one, but solid all the same. 🤣

      I look forward to a post from your neck of the woods soon.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for releasing my comment from the naughty list lol. The only way I know how to get a weathered turquoise look is to layer the colors. For my wood projects, I apply a "dry brush" acrylic color, let dry and then sparingly apply a Minwax stain (or 2). Sometimes I lightly sand back area's for more color to show through.

      The sample photo you shared does not look stained to me. Looks like the painted color/s has worn and the natural wood is showing through in areas. Could have been sanded & created intentionally. Not sure. I am a novice and don't paint or stain wood very often. Have fun with your exciting project!

      Delete
  2. Hmmm, my comment was posted...poof! Sorry. Much shorter version: Your grandson is so cute in his big boy tractor. Your tack room will be gorgeous & worth the wait. Glad you are enjoying Tweed, he looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the tractor boys photo!
    That blue stain is gorgeous, and I love a tin ceiling.
    So good that your daughter sold so quickly! Interest rates are crazy. Sometimes you can't help that see that God really does hold us in the palm of His hand, which is what that cloud photo made me think of. His hands are below us to catch us if we fall, and to lift us up to Him.
    Good work with Tweed. Very much like what I had to do with Ruby when she wanted to ram through the gate. One step at a time and only as directed! And look at you, team, on the log drag! He looks great by the way- a mature looking horse now. How tall did he get?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley. Yes, we feel so lucky that the house sold so fast. The work that they did, and then that we did, really made it stand out. We also staged it well, and the realtor had some beautiful photos taken. I should share them in another post once my daughter is moved out. Still, in this market, you never know. The thing that helps is that building a new home has also gone way up. Just the shop on their property would probably cost 500k to build nowadays. It’s 4,000 sq ft. The house is almost 5,000 sq ft and it’s on 10 acres with a view of Mt Spokane, and another very large outbuilding for tractor and hay storage. 735k selling price. Seems like a good deal.

      Ha! Tweed is all about the log pulling nowadays. He likes it so much more than the teeter totter bridge!! 😂 He loves the rope gate, too. In other words, he prefers working tasks and would take a pass on the obstacles he finds stupid and senseless. I mean why walk over a teeter tottering bridge when there’s perfectly solid ground all around it? 😜 I think he’s just smarter than I am!

      Delete
  4. It's hard when the horse is doing what you want but not because you asked. I had to really pay attention to that with Carmen and she catches me by time. I want a lesson with your trainer though.
    I'm glad that things are moving in a positive direction for your daughter. It will be healing for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure wish you lived closer, because you would love my trainer. She’s more about your style of riding than mine, but she can do it all. It all comes down to the same principles.

      I think you’re right about how selling these house will be healing. It has been a bit of an albatross around all our necks these last five months. The worry. The work. The disappointment. That chapter needs to be closed. I think the home, though, will make the new family very happy.

      Delete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion by telling us about your own thoughts and experiences.