Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Everywhere, Sanctuary


This has been the most mild winter I can remember, and I made a decision to leave the horses out as much as possible. They have round bales and loafing sheds, and I thought it was best to have them learn to navigate the mud and ice, rather than lock them in. 


There was one year where I locked Tumbleweed and the others in and then we ended up with weeks of ice that kept me from allowing them turnout. I felt like part of him becoming a more sure-footed, grownup horse this year was allowing him more time out with the herd, even when there was ice. They make paths and learn to navigate them.

Being out more was new for Epona, too, but her former baby/mama stall had a larger turnout pen attached which allowed her to practice running around on ice and mud. She even slipped and injured herself once running around on it, but had a quick recovery and learned a lesson.

Anyway, I felt it was important to take the bubble wrap off for both of them, and they have survived.

We can see the light at the end up the tunnel.


Speaking of light, we made a trip to Sedona for my mom's 80th birthday. It is somewhere she has always wanted to go. 

Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, Sedona was inundated with rain and snow the entire time we were there. 



If there was a bright side it was that we got to see the Red Rocks in snow, something I've always missed seeing. It also meant less crowds.








We have another, longer, trip to Sedona planned in April. We will be spending my birthday there and getting in a lot of hikes and sunshine. 

Sedona is my happy place.

The last day of our trip, we had the entire day to kill before our plane took off. My daughter had been wanting to go to a store called Rancher Hat Bar in Old Town Scottsdale. You choose your hat, and then a designer helps you put together the bling and brands of your choice.

A little side note: We have been going to Scottsdale, AZ for decades and I just can't believe how much it has changed. It was once such a quaint little westerny town, but now it's part of Phoenix with the "Old Town" preserved in the middle. Sigh. Time changes everything.


Anyway, as you can see, there are many colors to choose from. I didn't do one. I just watched. But if I had done one, I think I'd have chosen the green.


It is a hopping place, and can be very, very busy, but my daughter loved her finished product.


Now, we're home and I'm back in my Sanctuary with Tuffy.


I came back from Sedona with a renewed commitment to self-care and training for the April hikes. More yoga, music, walks, healthier foods, hydration, horses, and HEART.

While in Sedona, we attended a mass at the Chapel of the Holy Cross and his message was about our hearts. Basically, what can't corrupt them (food, drinks, etc), and what can (bad thoughts).

It got me thinking about the last year, and I realized it is time to grasp the future and put death behind me.

Where there was sadness and loss, I hope for joy and renewed abundance.


Though this room is my sanctuary, sanctuary is also something we should carry with us everywhere we go.


Always, a place of peace. Everywhere a Sedona. Everywhere a sanctuary.





6 comments:

  1. Welcome home.

    I’ve been to Sedona once and loved it. I’m hoping to go back. I too found Scottsdale too much of a city. I also believe it’s good for horses to be out and figure out the footing. It’s a risk but I think it makes them less likely to sustain a serious injury. Definitely better for their mental and physical health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. We had a scary situation today with Epona getting cast under the panels in the loafing sheds. That has never happened here before, and it was horrifying. We had to tie her back legs together and slowly pull her out with the tractor without her breaking her neck thrashing around. I'll write about it tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. Having such an investment in horses - time, money, emotions, hard work- does tend to make us want to "bubble wrap" them, but letting them be horses is all they really want! It's hard to let go sometimes.
    Sedona is beautiful in any season apparently! Glad your mom got to go. And your daughter is stylin' in that hat! I have been noticing that colorful hats are very popular right now. Bet that green would look great on you!
    Your mention of a place of peace brings to mind a fb lady I follow, she is from Scotland and has a page called The Red Mare after her chestnut Thoroughbred mare that taught her how to find that very thing, a Place of Peace. Her latest post is about finding that peace in motion, not just in stillness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I wrote a post about bubble wrap, of course, one would almost kill herself getting stuck under a panel today. Sheesh.

      That has never happened to us before, but my husband was able to get her out safely with a little help from me keeping her head and front legs safe. Goes to show, they will find ways to hurt themselves.

      Delete
  3. I've never been to Sedona, but heard it is a beautiful place to hike. I am glad you found the joy Winter offers, even if unexpected. Better said, especially when unexpected. Nothing short of wonderful to come home with renewed feelings of hope and light, spurred from being in your happy place. What a wonderful trip you shared together!!

    Your daughter chose a great hat & sentiment!

    As for the bubble wrap, it is harder for some of us than others to be less protective. A path to living & growing, is learning to let go. A huge struggle for me. Sounds like you unwrapped some of your own bubble wrap <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think traveling allows us to see our lives from a little distance. That is invaluable perspective. Yes, I love her little saying they branded into her hat. I wasn't there when she chose it. It was meant to be, and she wore it to her surprise birthday tea the day after we got home.

      After what we went through today, I am tempted to bubble wrap them again.

      Delete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion by telling us about your own thoughts and experiences.