Wednesday, January 17, 2024

A Sanctuary


I decided on a sign to go above my barn room door, and it is this one below: Sanctuary.

I thought about all the things the barn has always been to me, the place I've felt God's grace or all things coming together, inside me, that are good in the universe. Not just good, but true, because everything hasn't been good, in the sense that there has been loss, fear, and death here, too. Everything is made right, or correct in me, here in this place, as close as I can be to my barn family. 

This room is somewhat unplugged, but I am sitting in it right now typing this blog post. It's very peaceful.


This is what greets me when I walk out to the barn room. Epona is always leading the charge with mama close behind.


And, of course, Mr. Tweed. The snow is melting on their backs today, even though it still 20 degrees. They produce a lot of heat by eating 24/7 round bales. After the last week of below zero temps, 20 degrees seems balmy.



My husband finished the sink project. I love it. I'm glad I did look at all those other ideas, the ones I shared on this blog, because they probably did lead us to doing something ourselves. So glad we didn't buy something pre-made because this has so much more heart knowing it was made by my husband's hands.




The sink is cast iron, and a good size for filling buckets. 

I did mention that this is Tuffy's room, right? Well, here's my handsome greeter. He photo bombs all my photos nowadays.



I had to get a selfie with him yesterday. Some people have parrots on their shoulders, I have Tuffy.




Some of the little details, like coat hooks.



One of Cowboy's old blankets as an area rug. I'm going to dig out some more of his old blankets to use in front of the sink.


A photo looking out the large, round window, into the barn.



There's not a lot more to do. I contacted the photographer who captured the photos with Cowboy and me, and I asked her for the originals again. She offered to have a canvas made and color match it for me. It will be here next week. She's a friend of the family, so it will be good to see her again when she delivers it.

Also, my daughter-in-law is painting me a portrait of Cowboy in the snow. I'm looking very forward to that, too. 

My husband has started the outside planter boxes--more on that soon.

Not much more for me to do other than just enjoy the sanctuary, Tuffy, company of loved ones, and the joy of visiting our horses in the snow.




 

7 comments:

  1. I love how it all came together. Looks like perfect place to sit and have a glass of wine either by yourself or chatting with a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had wine, and it is a very enjoyable place to have it. :)

      Delete
  2. Sanctuary- that's perfect. What an absolutely beautiful room; everything flows; so many connections.
    Your husband did a wonderful job on the sink and on all the other things he labored at . I literally would want that room in a house!
    The art work that is coming will be the touch that makes it so much more personal for you guys.
    Enjoy the peace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I told my husband that if we added a room for my piano and another for a bedroom, I could live in a space like this and be perfectly happy.

      Delete
  3. Oh Linda you came up with the absolute perfect name & sign for your barn room, 'er Sanctuary!! Your vision and attention to detail is remarkable. You thoughtfully put all the parts together, working through options out of love. It is so cohesive ~ and very you!

    Your smile and the way Tuffy is wrapped around in that beautiful photo says it all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This room does have a healing spirit in it. Perhaps, it's my memories of the barn, or a spiritual impression from the souls who have inhabited it. Whatever it is, it feels good.

      Delete
    2. Sanctuary is perfect! Love how you've incorporated all the things that mean so much to you. It's a beautiful place to enjoy your time in the barn. Everything came together wonderfully.

      Delete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion by telling us about your own thoughts and experiences.