Monday, October 2, 2023

Two Breakthroughs And the Two Wolves

I had two major breakthroughs today. One was regarding Tweed and the teeter totter bridge, and the other was regarding mine and my daughter's journey, and how it fits into the bigger picture of resiliency and finding meaning in suffering.

First, Tumbleweed.

I asked Regina if it was alright to do a groundwork lesson today with Tweed, and use the obstacle course, since the park will be closing soon. You may remember that we had issues with the seesaw, or teeter-totter bridge last year, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to reintroduce it to him again. He trusted me to go over the bridge last year, but when he saw it fall, he jumped off, and then he developed an instant distrust of all bridges and, I think, a distrust of me for having made a bad choice.

Honestly, I didn't see how I could ever get him over the bridge again.

Regina thought it was a good idea and set about helping me. She asked me to walk him to the ladder obstacle, which he can do with his eyes closed. But instead of walking through it, she wanted me to ask him to place his two front feet in a box.


It was very easy for him to do it, but he wasn't doing it right.  His head was on the ground.

Regina walked over and drew a box in the air in front of his shoulders. She said, he needs to keep his head in this box and pointing forward, with an ear on you. If his head goes to the side, down, or up--anywhere out of the box, bring him back to center.


Okay, got it. 

Then she asked me to try his back feet, but when it came to the back feet, he rushed out of the box. Regina told me to back him up (out of the box), then bring him around again. She wanted me to ask, and expect, one half step at a time--then stop him with a "whoa"--and then another half step. (Always remembering, however, to keep his head in the imaginary box, and one ear on me.)


After a few times, and lots of wanting to look at other horses, or eat grass on the ground, or fill in the blank (be distracted), then bringing his head back to the engaged / thinking position, he gave me his two back feet. Good job, Tweed!

That wasn't as easy as I thought it would be!

This is where the photos end. We went to the stationary bridge and worked this same way over it. Half steps, head center, at the shoulder, ear on me. (This might seem nitpicky, but it was incredibly effective.)

Our next stop was the seesaw bridge. Of course, Tweed was a major no at first. He'd put a hoof onto it, then take it right off. However, with persistence, and keeping his head in the front frame of attention, he soon had his two front feet on it and he was relaxed.

Regina wanted to reward him and break it up, so she had me take him through the carwash obstacle and do the same thing there. Tweed went through, but ran out a few times, with me bringing his head around and doing it again. 

Regina had an aha moment. She asked that I not bring him around, but walk with him, or let him go straight out of the carwash, and then bring him to a halt facing the same, straight direction. Again, this doesn't seem like a big thing, (and at the time, I didn't know why she had me do it) but it made an instant difference, and Tweed began walking half step by half step through the carwash, standing in it with the arms blowing all over him, and then taking half step by half step out, then halting. (She was onto something).

Back to the seesaw bridge, and we were soon up and over it. As soon as he came onto the bridge with his back legs, Regina told me to keep on walking, but keep him straight. He flew off the bridge when it fell down with a huge bang, but I held and kept him straight. Yay, Tweed! She told me to make a big deal over him. He had faced one of his biggest fears!

The something Regina realized is that he is insecure really engaging his hind quarters to 1) come off the bridge, 2) go down hills. It's also what we're constantly working on with vertical flexion. They're all connected.

It has been affecting trail rides and walk, trot, lope transitions. It is affecting a lot of obstacle work. In other words, it's a big freaking deal.

Regina found a hill along a path that she wanted me to lunge Tweed on. The ground was uneven, the descent was steep, but all he had to do was walk down it, then go up the other side. Of course, the same rules still applied about where his head should be--the imaginary box. If his head went down towards the grass--which it did, as he tried to grab a bite and almost went tumbling down the hillside--or if it went to the side to yank himself away and avoid the work, take a side kick out at me in defiance, or look at other horses and people--I was to bring it back.

At first, Tweed was a hot mess. He was using his front quarters to navigate the descent, and he was trotting down it, rather than engaging his hind quarters and walking. As I said, he took a side kick out at me, tried to eat grass and almost went tumbling, and was a real baby. But, with a little work, he was soon sitting back on his haunches and walking down the hill like a mature trail horse. We did it both directions, then went back to the teeter totter bridge.

Back at the teeter totter bridge we ended on a positive note. As we walked back to the trailer, we went over the solid bridge again--but kept him straight as he walked off in half steps. The rest of the way back to the trailer, he looked like a different horse. Regina was behind us and she said, Look at you, Tweed! Wow!

I looked at him to see what she was talking about, and his movement, was just beautiful. He was cat-like. His head was relaxed. It was the beauty of balance. His whole body was engaged. There was an energy, but no anxiety.

That is what I called a GREAT lesson.

______

Regarding resilience, and my breakthrough today. There are a list of things that make a person resilient and, hopefully, we learn these tools along our journey. Developing them helps us prepare for the inevitable challenges and suffering. This list is: Developing our Core Values, Finding Meaning in Adversity, Equanimity, Self Care, Healthy Coping Skills, Support and Connection with Others, and a Pro-active world view. 

We all have what is called a hero's journey. The hero's journey, ironically, takes us not to pride, but to selflessness.



The photo above illustrates it. 

Well, I was contemplating my own "hero's journey," and at the end of it, I realized that my hero's journey has been scary, awful, beautiful, at times weak, then strong, sometimes messy and unexpected--definitely imperfect--yet it has perfectly equipped me for this moment in life. 

It gave me the necessary tools to help my own daughter (and grandson) find love, forgiveness, faith in themselves, hope, joy--not that we're there yet--or that I can do it for them--but I can help.

The course I'm listening to on audible that has this information is called, Building Your Resilience: Finding Meaning in Adversity.

At the end of the first chapter, she shared this story.


My job is simply to help them feed the good wolves for as long as I'm able.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! I would definitely call that a great lesson. Just what Tweed (and you) needed. Your trainer is really good at breaking down the details, and teaching them in increments. I like her use of the invisible box.

    Yes, we all need to keep feeding the good wolves. Easier said then done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My trainer has spent her life working with kids as a pony club and 4-H leader, as well as trainer. She has learned to teach with visuals. I’ve been taking lessons from her for 16 years, off and on, and I still remember her visual comparisons. I’ll never forget the box.

      There was a caveat to the box that I didn’t mention. When we approached the teeter totter bridge, Tweed’s head was allowed to leave the box to smell it, but not smell the ground or anything else, only curiosity in the bridge.

      Tweed got to be good at keeping his head in the box, but looking elsewhere, which also constituted leaving the box, as did both ears pointed away from me. He was supposed to keep one ear on me at all times. It will take some getting used to because I’ve always been a bit more lax with where he puts his head, and he took advantage of that in saddle when he rooted at the bit.

      My daughter was telling me yesterday how her mind wants to obsess about her circumstances, because she hasn’t been able to accept the lack of closure or the finality. She was saying that she needs to train her brain to think of other things and help it rewire. I told her about the two wolves, and we realized it’s really saying the same thing. There was a great line in Paradise Lost: the mind is its own place, able to make a heaven of hell, or a hell of heaven. .

      Delete
    2. Trainers that work with kids are typically the best teachers. You are fortunate to have such a great one to learn from, and for so long. Bonus, that she travels to you.

      You are such a supportive mom! I think what your daughter is feeling is perfectly normal. Lacking closure is very unsettling. Time will help with the healing. Along with keeping mind over matter. Upcoming holidays will likely be tough, along with all the firsts. A New Year (aka new beginning) is around the bend.

      Delete
  2. That was a fascinating lesson. It reminded me of Jane asking me to do a turn on the forehand one step at a time. Carmen would whip around but that was her and not my decision. But when we get the one step at a time everything seems to fall into place. I think I’d love a lesson with your coach.

    I also think that, like horses, we try to rush through the negative stuff rather than one step at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the turning around, or whipping around, can be anxiety and / or induce anxiety. For Tweed, it induced anxiety, because it’s not a balanced turn, and when he’s off balance, he’s anxious.

      Keeping him straight kept him calm or allowed him to calm faster and think about what he’d just done.

      Regina is really good at understanding how very fine corrections can make huge changes.

      Yes, very true about rushing through negative stuff. My daughter recently told me she wished she could fast forward her life a year and get through this pain to the other side. She believes me when I say it will get better. I told her to please not wish away even a second of her life. She will look back and see so much beauty intertwined in the suffering. The people who came to help her. The closeness she has nurtured to her son as they become their own family of two. All of it. She has been forced into her own hero’s journey.

      Delete
  3. Yes a great lesson! I like the idea of the invisible box. Ruby needs that, she tends to pretend that I am not there by turning her head and neck away. ( I can't see you so you aren't there) The lesson is pretty much like the one I did with Ruby, One Step at a Time as she wanted to rush through the round pen gate. The next step is to be able to ride one step at a time. Easier said than done, especially when they have anxiety building. To be able to do that out of the confines of a pen or arena is where I need to work on not just her, but me. It's hard not to be a bit fearful when your horse is, to not brace and grab those reins when she loses her calmness.
    I love the 2 Wolves story. It is a mental challenge to not feed into the negative, because after all, it's easy. Just as with the horses, we need to calm our minds to move forward. And that's not easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The box was very effective. Try it and let me know if it helps. I did a lot of tugging him back to the right spot. The smallest turn away, she’d tell me to bring him back, even if it was 1/2 an inch or a little tug, or even his eyes looking away. (He got tricky about it!)

      I just had sand delivered for my arena and I’m going to set up a roundpen in the center tonight from all our extra panels. We will be working at home, and that is much tougher! My trainer is excited to tackle his herd bound issues here at home.

      I will say this, I only ever do what I feel comfortable doing. Especially this summer, when my emotions have been all over the place. If we do the work, it will come together when it’s time.

      The Two Wolves story is a helpful analogy. Had you heard it before? I hadn’t.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I have read that story a few times over the years.
      I also only do what I feel comfortable doing. No sense in pushing my own boundaries if I am going to hinder my horse. It's part of why I haven't ridden as much this year- as well as being new to this area and not knowing anyone here yet.

      Delete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion by telling us about your own thoughts and experiences.