Thursday, November 8, 2018

I Wish I Had the Words


The happiest moments I've had on horseback have been right here--on the back of this horse--Cowboy.  When I ride him, I wonder why he isn't the only one I ride.  When I ride him, he wants to help me fly.

Yesterday, we did fly.

It was a coldish day, and Tumbleweed is doing much better, so I asked a friend if she'd like to accompany us on the trail.  She rode in saddle, and I rode bareback.

Taking a step back--Cowboy loves when I ride him bareback.  He hates saddles.  He hates being confined.  He'd be thrilled if I ditched the bridle and bit and trusted him 100%.

Also, Cowboy is an Omega horse and he is almost always pushed away from the herd.  When I go out to find him each evening to bring him in, he's always on the furthest part of the pasture, away from the herd and hay.

But he has me.  And he knows it.  And when I call him, he comes to me--even in the dark.  And I give him a safe stall and equine senior and all the love he needs.  He's very appreciative.  We are deeply connected and he is my soul's horse.

When we ride, we're one. We don't fight. We don't even bicker.  I listen to him, he listens to me, and we communicate a thousand things to one another with the slightest movements or sounds.  All of that communication is based on the many years we've struggled to communicate and hammered out a mutual understanding and our own unique language.

Yesterday, we cantered bareback on the trails, we climbed up steep hills where the only thing that kept me on was gripping hard to both sides of his mane, and we waded into the frigid water and looked out over the beauty of the world.

I don't have words to describe the feeling to you, but I'm pretty sure you all know it.


13 comments:

  1. Sounds heavenly! I was just perusing old photos of my riding days and getting nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always keep in mind that someday, all I'll have is the memories, and some are much stronger than others. THIS memory will be one I will LONG keep. Maybe that's the best way to put it into words. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. What an incredible feeling it must be, to have such a special connection!!! Love everything about this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a gift he has given to me, and I fully appreciate that. He's 23, had a broken front coffin bone and arthritis in his coffin joint, but somehow stays sound and continues to give me these experiences and his trust and companionship.

      Delete
  3. It really is such a special partnership you and Cowboy have. I can see why there are no words only feelings with your soul horse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you are so right. I'm blessed with this time I have with him. I pray that it continues for a few more years!

      Delete
  4. Cowboy gave you just what you needed

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes... I often wish I could ride Beamer as much as I used to, but I don't think his knee can handle much more than what we are doing now. I feel so at home on him, like you and Cowboy; it just feels so right. Cool that you cantered bareback! I'm not sure I have enough flexibility in my lower back to try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure you'd be fine on Beamer at the canter, but he probably doesn't want to do much of that anymore. Cowboy humors me. He likes it in small doses. It's so funny that both you and I were riding our heart horses bareback at the same time yesterday!! Are we lucky, or what?!?

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Yes, it was. Truly, truly wonderful.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion by telling us about your own thoughts and experiences.