Monday, September 16, 2024

Volunteers

Every year I get these magical surprises growing between the bricks of my front patio. 

They are volunteers, and they come from summers past to grace us with their beauty. 

As I was photographing the one above, I also thanked it in my heart for choosing to be a part of my life, for choosing to be on this earth among us.

You see, these volunteers are not supposed to be here. They were supposed to have died during the harsh winter cold, when everything else died. 

They survived a frost so cold it broke our pipes. But it did not break the spirit of these beautiful flowers. 

In fact, it made them stronger. They are greener, and more vibrant than any you will find in stores. They have the spirit of those who walked through fire, and came back to tell about it. 



8 comments:

  1. Volunteers are the best of flowering surprises!! We have also had the pleasure of enjoying the lovelies. The most surprising of ours are the ones choosing to grow soil-less, in the landscape rock. This year we have Petunias and couple Moss Rose flowering away. I let them grow in the unusual spots they choose to flourish. They won't be in the same spot next year, but others pop up. Surprise!

    Your flowers are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it’s always a surprise and completely out of our control, which makes it that much more endearing. I’ve had more this year than any year previous.

      There was a time when my husband would kill anything that crept up between the bricks, but I started to recognize volunteers like petunias, thyme, and vinca, and asked him to not spray anymore.

      Since then, it has been one surprise after another, and always different. Except the thyme and vinca, which survive winter and come alive again each spring.

      It’s so interesting that yours are coming up where there isn’t soil. I’m not sure what mine are finding under the old brick.

      After I published this, I remembered that one of my first, or first, blog posts on this site was about a volunteer tulip and how it came up in our pit each year.

      Delete
  2. Such lovely surprises! It's amazing how hardy some seeds are; my garden is full of volunteer cosmos and calendula whose seeds survived 40 below temperatures. I can't wait ti see if they all come back next year! I also hope the snapdragons follow suit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing how hearty these plants are once they’ve survived winter. Of course, so many do not survive winter. The ones that do are miracles of nature. I can’t even imagine surviving 40 below. It’s amazing anything can come back after that. I hope yours come back next year and that you get a few more surprises, too.

      Delete
  3. They are such lovely and cheery flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're amazing flowers I have a few that pop out too. Now if I could just convince them to overtake the crabgrass that also grows between the bricks that would be a good thing!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion by telling us about your own thoughts and experiences.