Friday, August 4, 2023

Time to Brag About Tweed

I had a lesson planned with Tweed on Wednesday, but when we showed up to it at the park, there was a Sherriff helicopter circling us over and over. We found out that there had been an attempted double homicide near us and they were looking for the two people who had done it.

Needless to say, we all loaded back up and rescheduled.

Today was the day we met again. 

It had been over 3 weeks since Tweed was last rode, due to his injury.  The park was full of riders, whizzing around here and there and everywhere. A group of joggers even surprised us as we came around the trailer. Tweed looked concerned about everything, but he kept his cool. We followed the joggers after they passed so that Tweed could think he was running them off.

During the lesson, it was as if Tweed hadn't missed a beat, and we worked more on lateral flexion at the walk and trot. Tweed's trot is starting to feel very floaty. He was giving it a lot of try and it felt beautiful. Regina is such an amazing trainer. She gave me my homework and we're going to start meeting on a weekly basis to keep it up.

Tumbleweed is maturing into such a wonderful partner. He is happy to be caught, load into the trailer, and go off with me on these adventures. He just gets softer and softer. Regina observed that raising him up from a baby had created a special connection. I would agree that it is definitely a perk. 

Exciting news! We are having a big baby shower here this weekend for our up and coming grandson--yet to be born. We have another granddaughter ready to be born any day! Yes, life does go on!

5 comments:

  1. I love that Tweed is finally maturing mentally. Now you get to really build on that connection. Beamer always loved getting out for a ride- I was just thinking this morning how sad it is for me that I can no longer ride him. If he didn't have those arthritic knees he would have been my main riding horse all these years. He was a joy to ride! Always slowed right down on the way home as if to say, "can't we stay out a little longer?"
    Pretty scary about having a couple of homicidal maniacs loose in your riding area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that was a bit scary. Of course I had forgotten my pistol at home. I thought I’d be fine. I have a friend down there who also packs a gun, and she had forgotten hers, too. She joked as we left that we’d have to keep each other accountable.

      Tumbleweed hesitated for a moment before getting into the trailer to come home yesterday. As if to say, can we hang out together a little longer? But he never throws fits about anything, so he acquiesced.

      There is such a sweetness to him. When we were standing together listening to Regina I could feel his breath on my sleeve. He didn’t touch me, but he had his nose that close. He is really trying to figure all this out for me. Regina is like a mediator between us. She sees things from the ground that I can’t see in saddle.

      Now I just have to keep him in once piece!

      Delete
  2. I’m glad that you had such a positive outing on Tweed. Especially after all that is going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. When I got home I told my husband I’d almost forgotten how good it felt to ride my horse. It definitely heals something inside the heart.

      Delete
  3. Good boy Tumbleweed. Putting in the time & effort is paying off. Love this!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion by telling us about your own thoughts and experiences.