Tuesday, June 4, 2024

A Busy Week Ahead


This is a busy week. I take Epona to training on Friday. It will be the first time she has been away from home, except going to the vet. 

I need to have the oil in my truck changed, and tire pressure checked on the trailer tires. The haul is 2 hours down and 2 back. After what happened to Teresa, I carry a fire extinguisher in the cab of my truck. Hopefully, I won’t have to use it. 

During my last lesson I practiced loading and tying horses my trainer’s way to prepare for the Epona haul. 

1. She never pushes them over with the divider. She makes sure to move them over, then close the divider. I’m guilty of pushing them gently with it. 

2. She ties them in the adjoining slant stall. To do this, she runs the rope through the tie hole, holds the end, moves the horse over, brings it over the panel, pushes the horse over, closes the panel, then ties off in the adjoining slant. 

If anything happens, it gives you access to untying away from the horse. It also gives you more control when unloading them. 

Epona will be hauling alone, and I plan to have her in the middle of the trailer. 


The trainer has her own steer down there now, and she’s training the horses on them. Her schedule is full this summer. Otherwise, I’d be very tempted to haul Tweed down there, too, and have her work with him on cows. I’m going to see about a cancellation list or maybe late fall, early winter.

We discussed the possibility of taking a lesson on the cows with Tweed when I pick up Epona a month from now. (Unless something happens during the training that she has to be brought home.) What could happen? Hard to say. She hasn’t been pushed out of her comfort zone yet, and we don’t know if there are any lingering effects of the pharyngeal dysfunction. So, we’re kind of holding our breath. The vet thought she was ready, as does my trainer. But training exposes things. 

If for some reason she does need to come home, I would definitely take Tweed down to fill her spot. I hope, however, that all goes well. She has been a very smart horse around home, and shows a high level of self-preservation, meaning the ability to remain calm, even when she’s scared, and not make things worse for herself. Her mom had that ability in spades, and it saved my daughter many times. I hope she retains it at training. 

Tweed and I are signed up for The Path to Partnership clinic this Saturday. I wanted to do some trail work to prepare, but the weather has been horrible as an atmospheric river and high winds passed through. It’s expected to be bad again today, but maybe clear up tomorrow and then sunshine and 80’s for the rest of the week. It will be hovering around 90 during The Path to Partnership. 

Weather Whiplash. 

If I can leave my grandson home during his nap, with grandpa to take care of him, AND get a window of decent weather, I will haul out today…then again tomorrow. 

Wish us luck!

4 comments:

  1. Your trainer has an excellent way of trailer loading and tying. Safety first!
    Epona looks fabulous! Hopefully there won't be any lingering effects from her baby issues.
    Working cows is so much fun and a great way to ride with purpose. The trick is to not get so excited that we lose our horsemanship! Easier said than done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice to have some cows around to practice moving. Instead, we have cows over the fence waving white bags at our horses.

      I used her tying method yesterday, and when we arrived at the park there was a loose dog barking at me which I tried to contain before unloading. It took a long time to get him, but I finally did and tied him to a tree while the park rangers came to get him. Tweed was shaking from head to foot when I went to unload him. It was nice to have the rope in hand when I removed the panel so that he didn’t fly out. 😳

      Delete
  2. Epona looks really good. I’m excited to hear how she does. I worried about Quaid’s foot when I sent him for training. Even though the vet college said he’d be fine. And he was. So I get your worry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be the true test. Of course, the first obstacle is getting her down there in one piece. I have to go by myself because my daughter works that day. We can’t go Saturday because I have that clinic. Ugh. I dread going down alone. Coming back, I’ll have an empty trailer and my mom to keep me company. Easy peasy.

      Delete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion by telling us about your own thoughts and experiences.