Friday, November 9, 2018

Should You Ride Your Horse Bareback on the Trails?



Yesterday, a well-meaning friend, who saw the picture above, lectured me on Facebook about the dangers of riding bareback.  It kind of went back and forth, but her last statement was this:
Riding on your property bareback is great, but you never know what you’ll encounter on a trail. Your horse isn’t going to worry about your comfort, only about his flight instinct to get away fast from danger.
I ended the exchange saying that I can handle whatever he dishes out.

It got me thinking, how many other people think that trail riding bareback is just beyond dangerous--and borders on irresponsible.  I googled it and found this interesting thread, where most of the commenters simply LOVE riding bareback on the trails.  Horse Forum: Riding Bareback on the Trails.

Here are my thoughts on "Riding Bareback on the Trail."  And by the way, these are only suggestions--each rider needs to determine for themselves what they feel comfortable riding.

1. The same rule of thumb for trail riding, in general, applies to riding bareback on the trails--you need to be confident on your horse at every gait--walk, trot, lope, and canter.  You have to be ready to handle whatever comes your way out on the trail.  If  your horse goes into flight mode, you need to be able to sit whatever its response is.  In other words, if you can do this--


You're probably safe on the trails, my well-meaning friend!

2. Do it at home first.  I rode with a friend two weeks ago who had never ridden her, otherwise solid, horse bareback.  She was aware that it might spook him, so she got on in the arena.  Indeed, it did spook him, and he bucked her off into the sand.  We moved him to the round-pen and I held him as she got on again, and he was perfectly fine.  For some reason, the feel of bareback initially unsettled him.  But we rode for miles that day and he was golden.  Also, she rides her other horses bareback a lot, and can sit almost anything.

3.  Bareback riding will improve your core balance--and FAST.  When I first started bareback riding, and those who follow my blog know it has been recent, I was initially fearful.  Part of that was because I was using muscles I hadn't used before, and it was demanding more core strength and balance.  But my body learned very fast and soon I was able to balance and ride all gaits.  I started gripping less and less and balancing more and more.  That core balance is good for me.  When I get done with a bareback trail ride, I actually feel like I've gotten a work out.

4.  Bareback riding in the heat is going to make your pants sweaty.  (No explanation needed.)

5. Bareback riding in the winter is going to help keep you WARM!  (applause here)

6. It's easier to slip off bareback than get thrown off in saddle, and getting off and on your horse bareback is good practice for slipping off, in an emergency.  How many of us actually know how far it is from the back of our horse to the ground without stirrups or mounting blocks?  Well, you find out pretty quick when you dismount bareback.  And that information is not lost on your brain.  You can actually feel your brain calculating the length of fall, the impact to the feet and legs and joints, and adjusting the body to accommodate it all.

7. Riding long distances will not be kind to your "bare" seat.  (If you know what I mean.)  Wednesday I rode miles with no padding, and suffered the consequences.  Yesterday, I rode with a semi-diaper, and it was much better.  All of this is to say, SOMEONE needs to invent bareback riding pants!!  They need some padding in the seat, and they need a full leather seat to grip the horse.  I rode in my Kerrits winter riding pants on Wednesday, and when I was going up steep hills, I was slipping and had to grab onto Cowboy's mane.  Yesterday, I rode in jeans, and there was much better grip.  But if I had a leather seat in my pants--I'd stick even better, and it would withstand sweat.  So please, someone invent BAREBACK RIDING PANTS.

8. Every new (and even experienced) rider should get lessons riding bareback.  When I went full-on bareback, my riding improved in saddle.  Shocker!  Now, I'm a believer in starting bareback.  When I was a kid, my friend's parents would let us ride their horses, but NOT use their saddles.  Thus, all I knew was bareback riding, and I hated it.  When I finally got my own horse, and a saddle, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.  Stirrups.  Yay!  But I've come full circle.  Looking back, I realize they did us a favor, and every young person learning to ride should first ride bareback--on a well-trained horse.

9.  Nothing, and I mean nothing, will  make you feel more at ONE with your horse, than riding bareback.  I swear, you will feel the slightest thought in your horse's brain trickle down its back and into its feet.  Likewise, your horse will feel your slightest thought. You'll find that the saddle is a barrier between your communication with your horse, and you will be surprised at what they're trying to say, but for the most part hide.  Yesterday, we rode in a group of four.  Cowboy hates groups more than 2 or 3.  He was giving me signs, all through the ride, that he was uncomfortable in this larger group.  They were subtle, but I felt them every time a horse would get too close to his bubble.

Today, I'm going to go shopping for full-seat winter pants.  I have already found some online, but I don't know what size to buy.  I'm thinking that I'll start using them for these bareback rides through winter.  They don't have padding, but I may be able to sew something in and invent my own bareback riding pants.  Maybe a little memory foam--or who knows--I'll just need a trip out to Hobby Lobby.

One final thought: I'm not advocating that everyone ride bareback.  I think it's easier and more fun than we give it credit for, but it's not without risk.  Nothing with  horses is without risk.  In the end, you have to do what you feel comfortable doing with the horse you have.  I only wrote this post to get off my mind what my well-meaning friend brought up--but that I didn't think was Facebook length.  Therefore, I've subjected you all to it!  Sorry 'bout that.

And happy bareback trails (or just trails--whatever!), my friends!

20 comments:

  1. Anything can be dangerous, but there are a lot of things you or your clothes can get caught on with a saddle. I've sustained the majority of my injuries from horses when I was on the ground. If you really enjoy something, and it sounds like you do love bareback riding, it's your decision on whether it's worth the risk. Simply being in the vicinity of horses (and cars and crazy people) is risky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, I really enjoy it...on Cowboy! LOL. Leah and I ride bareback, but not out of the arena yet. I don't quite trust her because she's still way to evasive at times and I have to use a crop or a spur here and there, something that you shouldn't be doing bareback, I don't think.

      Delete
  2. I think you should ride bareback if you are comfortable. I know lots of people do! I am more about people wearing a helmet.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I concur about riding bareback. And, the helmet is a great way to protect your brain, a vital organ, but I don't always wear one.

      Delete
  3. Oh good grief! I know the commentary was well-intended, but still. Every one who owns & rides horses regularly is well aware of the dangers associated with horses. Insert eye roll. Just like wearing helmets, it is a personal decision. Totally understand the value & incredible feeling bareback riding offers. However, I would start any one/age new to riding in saddles. Love that you do it, and so well!! I have done very very little bareback riding (arena only). The only time I've even seen bareback riders in a real life situation (other then plodding around at a walk) were kids living and flying around on a horse farm. I unfortunately did not grow up with horses to have that level of comfort, and it's rarely included in lessons. I've never ventured to do so on my own. The reality of our current situation and stage of my life (& injuries) I will be lucky if I ever get to ride at all! So yes happy trails, on whatever mount and riding style one chooses!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three of us rode bareback yesterday, and one of my friends (who was riding bareback, but with a fancy bareback pad that I hope to own one day) said she grew up riding bareback all the time. She had a pony she would ride everywhere, and even rubbed some of his fur off in the shape of her butt. lol. That's a lot of bareback riding. I had bad experiences riding bareback when I was young because I was riding with idiots. My friends were always doing the stupidest things, which would result in me falling off, but they could handle it better because they were like GLUE on their horses. They'd grown up riding bareback all the time, and they'd get their horses into full out runs through the desert. I'm not that crazy, even now. My neice is taking lessons with the Nez Perce Tribe (appaloosa horses) and they allow saddles, but no stirrups. It's pretty similar.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, the bareback farm kids I knew were riding carelessly with glued butts and zero fear of anything. Riding stirrup-less is a great training method!! I drop my stirrups frequently, 'er used to. The farm kids trainer mom gave entire lessons without them, going over elevated poles, patterns etc. Same with dropping reins. Her lessons were the best, but not her skewed view of reality. She is a bad egg. I still utilize much of what I learned riding with her back in the day. Your nieces lessons sound very interesting, perhaps a blog post in the making? Just a thought :)

      Delete
    3. I thought I had blogged about her lessons. Yes, that's a fascinating story. I always feel reluctant to telling the whole story because of its complications: her mother's death, her own difficult birth and miraculous survival. I would need to ask permission first. The whole thing goes together, but it's sensitive. I will say, one thing she has long struggled with, because of those early physical complications, is core strength. What she's learning through the tribe is helping her heal on many, many levels.

      Delete
    4. It's wise to not share anything controversial. I found your sweet post about your niece & Cowboy, (and The Willow Center) through your search feature, and reread it. Nez Perce pulled up a ceremony type post. I find Native American traditions interesting, and riding lessons with them would be a unique topic (for me). Never mind me, all that matters is that she is doing well & enjoying life as a kid.

      Delete
    5. It's more just personal, I guess. But there is probably a way to tell the story more generally, and still express the many things horses are giving her--and how important those things are.

      Delete
  4. Bareback riding is a great way to develop core muscles and balance. If you feel comfortable then do it. I think its very risky to do it on the trails, especially without a helmet. But it's your life and if you want to risk it go for it. Personally I wouldn't because in all my years I've never seen a horse that didn't spook at something. Have fun and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good wishes. I agree about horses spooking, and I wouldn't ride bareback if I didn't think I could handle the spook when it comes. Oddly enough, I don't consider it very risky. But I am trying to see it through the eyes of others and understand the concern.

      Delete
  5. I learned to ride bareback both in my friends pasture and later when I took my first official lessons. It's so good for learning to feel the horse's movements. The only real setback is that it can damage a horse's back - but so can an ill-fitting saddle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our group discussed that yesterday, and we came to the conclusion that we do it so little, it probably doesn't affect our horses. But I thought it would be good to know more, so I did a Google search and found varying opinions.

      In this 2012 article it says:

      "I have used a computerized saddle pad to evaluate the weight distribution of a bareback rider compared to that of a rider in a saddle. Although you might expect your weight to be better distributed by a saddle's wider surface area, I found that bareback riding creates fewer pressure points. This is most likely because the primary points of contact between the horse and bareback rider are the rider's thighs and the horse's back, which are both moving surfaces. When you add a rigid saddle to the equation, you interfere with this dynamic connection. (Only a very skinny person without much padding on her bottom who sits absolutely still for a long period of time risks creating pressure points on her horse's back.)Bareback riding is only uncomfortable for a horse who has pain or discomfort at the exact spot on which your seat bones rest. For all other horses, carrying bareback riders should be no less comfortable and no harder work than carrying them with a saddle. However, it is a different sensation, so some horses may feel a little funny at first. They also may worry more when they sense that you are less balanced and stable.

      From the rider's perspective, going bareback is an excellent tool for improving balance and learning to feel more connected to your horse. Everybody should be required to do it when they're learning to ride! However, I would not advise trying it on a horse with extremely narrow, high withers. If you're constantly trying to protect yourself from your horse's withers, your riding will be less effective. And, needless to say, it can be dangerous to your anatomy. I also don't recommend using a bareback pad—a cushioned saddle pad with a girth-like strap securing it to the horse—for extra comfort, because it can be unstable and prone to slipping around your horse's belly.

      Depending on your and your horse's conformation, riding bareback may put you in a less effective and less balanced position. The thicker your thighs and the wider your horse, the more your legs will be pushed out to the sides with your lower legs flapping in the breeze. This makes it difficult to use your leg aids properly. Also, because your hip joints can't widen beyond a certain point, your pelvis is rocked backward, throwing your body out of balance. If you and your horse have this conformation combination, bareback riding may not be beneficial for your riding skills.

      If you do decide to try riding bareback, first do it in a safe, enclosed area. Whatever your goals, remember that it is supposed to be fun. This is a great chance for you and your horse to relax and enjoy! Dr. Joyce Harman

      https://practicalhorsemanmag.com/health-archive/the-biomechanics-of-riding-bareback-11762

      Delete
    2. Here's another opinion the other direction, also from 2012

      "The scans of bareback rides showed small areas where pressure reached a level that could cause pain and tissue damage in the horse’s muscle fibers. This was particularly true where the rider’s seat bones contacted the horse’s back. Scans of saddled rides showed that the force and pressure were spread over a wider area, so the impact was lower for specific spots."

      https://ker.com/equinews/bareback-riding-comfortable-horse/

      Delete
    3. Very interesting! I wonder if it varies depending on the type or bareback pad or saddle blanket if you choose to use one.

      Delete
    4. I don't think bareback pads help much. The first article doesn't recommend them because of their instability. I don't like them. My friend rode with a Christ Lamfelle, which is very nice, but it has a much more stable--english style girth, and even stirrups. I would like to invent bareback riding pants! I just purchased the Kerrits Sit Tight Windpro Full Seat Breaches. They look like they'll be a good start. But unless we have a mild winter, I may not be doing many more long trail rides.

      Delete
  6. Maybe you could wear padded bike shorts under your full seat breeches.

    I think if your horse spooked sideways you might topple off, and it probably does hurt the horse's back where your seat bones sit, if you ride for long.
    It would be easy to test when you get done with a ride.

    I don't know, I guess it's up to you and your riding buddies. After all, they'd have to be the ones to try to save you if you got hurt. It can be pretty traumatic to watch someone with a punctured lung try to breathe, or not be able to wake the unconscious.

    Do you have coverage for Medstar or whatever the helicopter ambulance is called?

    For me, I can't ride bareback anyway because of my crappy balance so it doesn't matter (maybe I shouldn't ride at all but I do!), but it seems like too much risk. I'd probably say go for it on your steady old guy for a short trail ride, but otherwise proceed with extreme caution.

    I wouldn't have offered an opinion without being asked though, how rude. It was a fun, uplifting, amazing ride you were sharing about and it bugs me when people start criticising safety in facebook posts. They generally don't know the full story and who made them the safety police?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One reason I did this post is so that other people who are searching for answers to this question can possibly find this and learn from both the post AND all of your comments. You bring up good points, Andrea. I'll try to address them all.

      1. padded bike shorts. Yes. I like that idea. Maybe a padded bike underwear type thing so that it is tight and fits easily into riding pants. I'll look into it.

      2. Spooking sideways. I can only speak for myself here and the work I've done with Cowboy in the arena. Many times, Cowboy and I have been loping, or even galloping, in the arena, and he has spun towards the gate, nearly unseating me when I'm bareback. But he didn't unseat me. I sit pretty heavy on his back and I go with his movements. Of course, it is possible to unseat me, but it's also possible that it happens in saddle.

      3. Ask the people you ride with if they're comfortable. Yes, good suggestion. They may not be comfortable for a variety of reasons. If you can't control your horse, it may get theirs wound up. The image of the punctured lung almost scares me out of trail riding all together!

      4. No, I don't have Medstar, but I sure need to get it!! I've thought about it many times, but haven't done it.

      5. Riding a steady old guy on a short trail ride is all I do. We've ridden Riverside State park a thousand times, and he knows it like the back of his hoof. I don't think I'd feel comfortable riding Leah out there. For one, I can't ride her at all gaits yet, so we fail that very first test.

      6. I think she offered her opinion because she is thinking it through for herself. It was kind of unlike her. Riding bareback on the trails elicits strong emotion from riders--one or another. On the one hand, it sounds like something anyone would love to do. Look at any horse movie and there's almost always a bareback scene--running along the ocean, running over the pastures--it shows unity. On the other hand, the reason most people don't do it is because it's a little more dangerous. I didn't do it until two years ago for that very reason. All of my experiences riding bareback where crappy, and I didn't romanticize it. At all. But since I've started doing it, I have really enjoyed the togetherness.

      But just so everyone knows...I won't be selling my saddles anytime soon.

      Delete
  7. I grew up riding bareback, even doing impromptu racing! I was able to ride a flat out full speed gallop bareback... not any more! This old body doesn't flex like it used to. I do love riding bareback- this year I have ridden Beamer, Gussie and Sassy bareback. I wouldn't go for long rides bareback, but putting around the local trails is lovely.
    I googled padded underwear for riding and found lots. here is one website : https://www.equestriancollections.com/ladies-riding-apparel/underwear/padded-underwear.
    Another thing that might work for getting a good grip is to wear chaps. They don't cover your butt but would give a good grip with your thighs.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion by telling us about your own thoughts and experiences.