Friday, October 27, 2023

Cowboy


But when a soul, 
by choice and conscience, 
doth throw out 
her full force 
on another soul,
the conscience 
and the concentration both 
make mere life, 
Love.


Four years ago I had photos taken with Cowboy, thinking that would be his last year. It wasn't. But it was his last year on the trail. Since then, he has been fully retired.


I had made a decision in spring to give Cowboy one more summer, and then put him down before winter. It's almost November, and I don't want to do it. Instead, I blanket him at night, and I've given him the large stall with big turnout, and I plan to take it day by day. 

I understand that love, sometimes, has to make hard decisions for the better good, but I haven't tipped to the point of seeing the better good yet. He still has life in him, and so much love! 

But it is like he also knows our time is short. 

Whenever I go out to tend to him, he stops and stays with me for as long as I will allow. He refuses to leave, until I leave. If I walk by the fence, he always comes to me. 

They always say you will know when the time is right, and I am abiding by that wisdom.

Day by day, and enjoy each day he is here to greet me in the barn or pasture.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my first thought was "oh no!" when I saw the title.
    Yes I do think we know when it's time. He is giving you so much love that when it is time, you will feel it. They fade...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He hasn’t faded at all, but he is extremely intent. He practically pins me in to make me stay with him. He’s always been locked on, but never like this.

      Delete
  2. Animals sure tug at our heartstrings. You are wise to abide by the wisdom that lets us know when it is time to let go of our beloved animals. Only then, will there be no regrets. Enjoy every moment with your special boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes, it is moment by moment with Cowboy. I was just out with him, and had to push him up. 😞 As I sat with him, I began to wonder if the intensity that he has had with me lately is not him saying goodbye.

      Delete
  3. You all definitely know when it’s time.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion by telling us about your own thoughts and experiences.