Friday, June 30, 2023

A Huge Breakthrough (Part 1)


Two weeks ago. No photos from today.

It has been a challenging month. We’ve been dealing with a major heartbreak in our family. Not a death, but something that feels very much like a death.  We know there will be light at the end of this tunnel, because we have been down this road before. Yet, there are many unknowns. Scriptures like this one in Matthew 6 become extra important in seasons like this.

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

As we take life minute by minute, day by day, around here, trusting that good will come out of bad, we also keep up the daily routines. For me, that includes working with Tumbleweed. 

I think I left off at the point where I was riding on a loose rein and only picking it up if Tweed moved off the line. We did a lot of that work, and it was very helpful. He liked it and it helped us build a stronger partnership. When I go out to the pasture to get him now, he will come to me and want to be caught or petted. He did that before, but not with the same intensity. Now he thinks of me as his person, and he’ll run the others away, especially Cowboy. So, I have to always go out with a halter and lead rope.

He has also become used to lots of different horses working around him at the park. They come and go, and he cares less and less. 


Photo taken a couple of weeks ago.


I had a lesson today with the trainer who helped me with Leah when I was starting her. Regina is one of the most respected trainers in our city. She has been teaching pony club snd 4-H for twenty years or so.  Probably much longer than that. She has a way of seeing what’s happening and breaking down training (from her perspective on the ground. She doesn’t ride them for you) that is unparalleled. 

She asked me what was happening. I told her about the trail ride where Tweed wanted to shake off the reins and run back home, the dropping to roll, and the rooting at the bit. 

She told me to do what I usually do, and she would watch. 

In the round pen I worked on yielding and bending. Then I asked him to move in a circle. Right there she saw an issue. She saw him look to the outside and cut into my bubble. It was very slight, and I hadn’t corrected it. But she said that’s where it all begins. She told me to point my flag at the knot on his halter until his attention was back, and then put the flag back in place, pointing at the hind, keeping him moving the whole time. 

Well, that little tweak made my boy a bit miffed, and he started to pull back. She told me to stay with him and keep asking for forward. He then chose to trot, even though I’d asked him to walk, but she said that was fine. Soon, he was moving with intention, really coming under and taking responsibility for himself. Very beautiful to see. I stopped him. He took a step toward me. 

Do you allow him to do that? She asked. 

No, not usually, but maybe I have become lazy about it. I’m not sure. 

He needs to stay where you stopped him. 

I told him to move back. 

We did those things for a while longer, and soon there was a complete change in Tweed’s body language. It was like everything was right in his world. Life was in the proper order. He was relaxed, attentive, soft, and responsive. 

It was like some weird horse magic trick! 

Time to mount up and work on the same thing in saddle. 

(To be continued)

Here are a few fun photos to leave you with.

My mom bought me this amazing horse orb for my birthday. 







Some flowers at the equestrian park.


A field on our daily walk.


Starting to tear the barn apart.


Listening to the symphony play at our local winery last Tuesday. The sun came out after a monsoon.


Time with my sweet grandson. 


Comfort food yesterday morning. The banana bread version of making lemonade from lemons.



6 comments:

  1. This is exciting. It so much is the little things. At least little as we perceive them. Clearly for horses they are not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never ceases to amaze me how big those “little” things are. Cutting toward me with his shoulder was barely perceptible to me until she pointed it out. The other thing, walking a step toward me, I had become complacent about that. The third thing, when to release him, waiting for him to start picking himself up and carry himself, I had not been doing that. I was allowing him to move out pretty sloppy until she pointed out the difference.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear your family is going through troubled times. Daily routines do help sort life out. Your mother gave you the most perfect gift. Is the orb ceramic, or carved wood?

    Yay for your breakthrough with Tumbleweed! You make it sound so simple. I suppose timely adjustments are just that. Nice to have such great trainers! A second set of eyes is key.

    Most of my shortcomings with horses stem from the ground. Almost all focus and learning throughout my earlier lesson years was on riding. Not by choice, it was just how those trainers operated. I didn't know better and had to learn most of it later in life. I am still learning groundwork subtleties and always will be. We all know in hand is the foundation of everything equine. You really shine with your handling/groundwork! Enjoy your boy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the orb is hand carved from gesso. They’re made in the UK and sold on Etsy. It feels really good in your hands. My mom called them meditation orbs. I love holding it and tracing the horses.

      The family stuff is sad, and life-changing, even though it affects me indirectly. When there are challenges, there are always blessings, too, and there is a BIG one from this tragedy. I’ll explain more in the future.

      I thought I was pretty good at my groundwork, and then I saw these glaring holes and how important they were. Her suggestions for correction were completely new to me. I’ve never pointed the flag at his halter knot. I think he pulled back because it shocked him. My trainer said he was giving me 60%. I think the other 40% had drifted off somewhere else. And then I ask myself how much I was giving to have missed those things.

      The lesson was very enlightening.

      Delete
  3. Always good to get someone to watch and help. I could use some of that right now! It's so easy to let the little things go, and then they lead to other not so little things.
    That orb is quite unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn’t have thought such little changes would make such a big difference. It didn’t solve everything in saddle, but it definitely set a foundation for the saddle work.

      Delete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion by telling us about your own thoughts and experiences.