Thursday, February 15, 2024

An Unexpected Horrifying Situation

After my post on bubble wrapping horses, we had a major scare, Epona got stuck in the bottom bars of a divider. The divider is in our outside loafing shed, and the bars aren't set all that wide between, but she somehow managed to get half of her body, up to her belly, into it.  That particular divider is set permanently into the structure. It's the way it was designed....I'll backtrack.

First, our horse turnout is directly behind our house and we have a view of the horses from all the back windows. We can see them when we’re in the kitchen, dining room, living room, office, and bedroom. If they're in the front pasture, we can see them from several places as well, but the turnout was designed to be directly in front of the majority of the windows. Also, the way we set the loafing shed, we can see into it, too, from the windows, though it is a ways off, and you can’t see precisely what’s happening.

Yesterday morning I was mostly watching Tumbleweed because he was lying down in the sun on the wasted grass from the round bale. Foxy left to go to the pasture and he stayed there sleeping. My brain went, ahem, why isn't he getting up?

A few minutes later, he was up and by the loafing shed, where I'd been watching Beautiful Girl discipline Epona, then Epona run to her mama in another loafing shed.

Soon, Tweed was lying down in the sun, but this time, in the loafing shed. Cowgirl was standing in another stall, next to him, with Epona asleep at her feet. 

Again, I wondered why Tweed was sleeping, and determined to keep watching, just in case  

About ten minutes went by, and I saw Tweed get up, then sniff around Epona's head. Her head didn't go up. Hmmm...is she in deep sleep? Then, I saw Cowgirl leave the stall and still Epona lay sleeping..hmmm...now I'm getting worried. When Cowgirl left the stall, Tweed entered it, and started sniffing around Epona's body, still no movement from Epona.

By then I was dressed and ready to go out with my daughter and grandson for her birthday lunch. We were almost out the door when I saw Tumbleweed sniffing Epona. I told my daughter I was afraid something was wrong with Epona, because she wasn't moving. My daughter reassured me that she was just enjoying a nap in the sun. However, worry wart that I am, I decided to change coats, boots, etc, and run out to the barn. I told her to wait up a minute and I'd be right back.

Wrong.

When I got closer to Epona, she still wasn't raising her head when I called out her name (very unusual for her.) I knew something was wrong. 

When I got almost right up to her, I saw that she had wedged herself into the bottom bars of a divider. She had somehow gotten her front legs, neck & head, and half her torso, up to the fat part of her belly, between the two bottom bars. In all our years of owning horses and horse panels, we have never had anything like that happen.

I think my adrenalin spiked, however, my demeanor became oddly calm with the acute understanding that it was a life or death situation for Epona. 

Her eyes were somewhat in shock and, thankfully, she was very still. It looked like she had tried to get out, and dug some of the dirt around her. I surveyed the situation and quickly saw that the divider was rock solid in the structure. She was also too heavy for us to pull out. There were not going to be many choices, and time was of the essence.

I made a phone call to my husband, but all I could say was, "something very bad is happening out here. Please come help me." He kept asking me what, and I kept responding, "something very bad." Eventually, I spit it out. "Epona is stuck in the bars of a divider." 

In retrospect, I think the reason I didn't spit it out at first is because I knew it sounded like no big deal. Stuck in the bars? So what? Move her feet. Turn her over.

But it wasn't like that. It was a very big deal.

He understood it was a big deal and hurried to our aid. When he arrived he had the same assessment I did, but a different plan. My plan was to saw the bars off. His plan was to get the tractor, tie her back legs, and pull her out.

We tried my plan first, but as he figured would happen, when he started to cut the bars, she overreacted and put herself in more danger. We aborted that plan immediately and he went to get the tractor.

When the tractor arrived, Cowgirl ran off. (Bad mama) Epona tried, again, to get up, which was impossible. Then she lay back down. My hopes for a successful extraction were getting lower by the second.

Well, I will tell you this, I was right to be pessimistic and it wasn't easy, several times we almost quit, but with me holding her head down and working with her front legs, and him tying her and pulling her gently, little by little, we were able to free her and, though she was still in a bit of shock, she was able to walk off with her mama. When she stood still, she was favoring the leg that had been pinned underneath her body, which I chalked up to having gone numb. And, in fact, as she walked it off, that seemed to get better.

Cowgirl was very protective of her throughout the entire experience, and she gently pushed her to keep walking, while also warning the other horses to stay away from her. Epona would come back to the scene of the crime and sniff, as if she was trying to learn what she'd done wrong. She would come to me for comfort, but then walk off, rather than allowing me to pet her. 

After observing her for a while, and seeing that she was going to survive (at least the initial part of our plan) the adrenalin came crashing down on me like a heart attack. That's an amazing process--adrenalin. It marshals every mental and physical resource, but when you're to safety, and no longer in need of it, it is an overwhelming physical pressure. 

Anyway, fast forward the rest of the day, she was moving around like normal, eating, pooping, no swelling.  However, I put her in a stall last night with some Bute so that I could observe her and so that she wouldn't go back and get stuck in the divider again. As soon as we can, we're going to attach plywood to the bottom of the dividers, but that will have to wait until this weekend.

Today, she is moving around well and still pooping and eating, but there is some stocking up where her legs were tied. I've Buted her again, and will probably let her out soon. Although, there has been a severe weather change from the sunshine of yesterday to a near blizzard today. 

I am once again left in this position of choosing the lesser of two evils: in or out. She needs to be out moving, but in a blizzard?

Looking back, I am incredibly thankful to myself for being such a worry wart, and for my husband, for being such an able-bodied fixer of catastrophes. I am also thankful for the miracle of her still being alive. Didn't I just say I was closing the door on death? I guess that's not up to us, is it? Death will find us anyway. I suppose the universe wants something different from me. Perhaps, a different understanding of what death (and all loss) means, and how to live in a world so deeply affected by it, so profoundly at its mercy.

6 comments:

  1. Holy crap. I so glad you followed your instincts on this. Horses! I swear they are born looking for ways to injure themselves. I wonder if Cowgirl left when the tractor arrived knowing you were helping. If her legs are stupid a bit swollen try some Voltaren on them. The vet told me that it helps and is safe for horses. It definitely seemed to help Carmen.
    Adrenaline crashes are awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The younger ones are especially good at injuring themselves. I've been watching Epona look at the place where she was stuck and sniff at it. I'm sure she has bad feelings associated with it now. She is less swollen today, but that is very good to know about Voltaren. Thank you.

      I'm not sure why Cowgirl ran off. She was very nervous about what we were doing, and she didn't like the metal saw at all. I think that hyped her up a bit, and she was beginning to lose faith in her fixers--us.

      Delete
  2. What an ordeal! It's good that you can see that shelter from the house and that you know your horses well enough to see that something was wrong by their actions.
    Get out the bubble wrap.....
    Good job both of you on saving Epona's life- yet again.
    It's interesting how in tune with her Tumbleweed is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tumbleweed is the reason I knew something was wrong with her. If hadn't been for him sniffing around her, I would have been out the door and off shopping and to lunch. I'm not sure if she could have survived that long. As it was, the nerves were going numb on that side of her body, and it took her awhile to shake it off. She could have broken her neck, her legs, or colicked from the stress and shock. Altogether, I think the prognosis was worse as every minute passed.

      Delete
  3. Terrifying!! I can only imagine how time stood still as the rescue unfolded. It would be replaying in my head, over and over. SO glad you and hubby were able to save Epona from being trapped. Thank god she was not seriously injured. No one would blame you for going back to "bubble wrapping".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was terrifying and everything did seem to move slower. I was able to comfort Epona, but it was frustrating to pet her face and know I couldn't get her out. By the time we had the tractor there, and her legs tied, things moved much faster. We looked at the timeframe of my first call to getting her out and back up walking, and it was less than 30 minutes. So, we did move fast. As fast as we could, considering every time we pulled her with the tractor she got upset and lifted her head up. My fear was her breaking her neck or front legs. Considering everything, she did remarkably well. When we got her out, she didn't try to get up right away, because she was still too close to the bars. That was pretty smart of her, but we didn't know what she would do ahead of time. She could have thrashed around too early. As it was, she didn't try to get up until her back came untied, and she had good leg clearance. That is when she popped right up and walked off. We were very lucky.

      I went out and got the plywood today to bubble wrap the loafing shed dividers. It still amazes me when I look at the space between the bars. I don't know how she managed to get that far into it. When she was a baby, I was afraid of this exact scenario, so I made everyone come out and help me cover the bottom of every panel she was exposed to in the stall and turnout. They thought I was crazy then, too. After she grew up, I removed all those things from the panels because I didn't think she would do it being that big. I was wrong.

      Delete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion by telling us about your own thoughts and experiences.