Thursday, August 3, 2017

I Want Them to Think They Own the World


My trainer, Rebecca, shares inspiring tidbits on her Facebook page, but this one really hit me. When I'm with my horse, we're a team and, at its very best, I should project a rock-star attitude about my horse.

Basically, When we're together Leah, Beautiful Girl, Cowboy, Joey, we're going to kick ass and take names!  We're going to chew these hills up and spit them out. We're going to rock these streams and rivers like a hurricane!

These are the basics:

1) believe in them and have high expectations for them.
2) build confidence in small increments of success ALWAYS setting up situations where they will win!
3) focus on them every time we ride and not on the other horses, people or myself.  This helps reinforce that we're together, partners, and a team. Everyone else, every other horse, is incidental to our partnership.
4) project confidence in myself, too. If my horse is going to be a rock-star, his/her rider should be one.
5) praise my horse to high heaven for their little, and big, successes.

Beautiful had her 4th ride last night.

She was ridden in a halter and lead rope only. Wow!



She learned to pony behind a new horse in preparation for her first trail ride--where she will first be ponied carrying a saddle, but not rider.




I rode Little Joe who is just recovering from a hoof abscess and is ready for some trail miles.


He was a bit resistant to yielding. But with consistency and firmness, it came back to him. We worked on neck reining, stopping, side passing and backing up.


Here's the full post Rebecca had shared from Denny Emerson. I believe their pages are both public.


When the horses were done, I opened the North pasture gate to let them out for the night, but Beautiful stayed back from the herd and came to see me.  I could see that she was happy and proud of herself and wanting to be reassured.  I thought of Rebecca's post and I dug into every ounce of proud I had in me and tried to demonstrate that to her.  I think she got it.

13 comments:

  1. I agree with you on each point you made. Our horses need to be confident and praised and proud of themselves. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And horses thrive on pride, even when they're at liberty and out feeling their oats.

      Delete
  2. This post reminds me of the first time Bombay sidepassed to help me close a gate. I was so excited and happy with him that I practically threw a party. I couldn't get him to stop doing it after that. He was so proud of himself and always begged me to open and close the gate together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes sense! Horses love to know they have done a good job!

      Delete
  3. This is a great message for me to take to my show. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said.
    Is Beautiful greying out, or is that just the pictures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her color is hard to define. She used to be like the Kiger mustang look--stripes, black mane and tail--but her color has turned almost a dapple white gray color.

      Delete
  5. Love the quote. It is a good one to keep in mind when I am getting impatient when things aren't working out. Rosalee could use some boldness/confidence/success and I need to be able to enable it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Horses are inherently proud animals, so it should be easy to tap into it and build. Good luck. She's a gem.

      Delete
  6. YES! To all of this post. LOVE it so much Linda! We follow the same philosophy with horses. Do you read Anna Blake's blog? If not, you should check her out. She through good common sense, mixes life with horsemanship with philosophy. Spot on as well.

    Kudos to Beautiful Girl. Who is a beautiful girl...

    Going to copy that quote and keep it near to my heart (and mind). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have long known we think alike! I'll check out her blog.

      Delete
  7. Great core foundations to strive for!! Not as easy as it sounds, at least not for me. Cool pics of Beautiful & Rebecca working together. Little Joe looks like he is ready to hit the trails. Your horse life is so interesting with all your different mounts!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.