Monday, July 24, 2017

Bossy Mares and Bossy Cowgirls


Woohoo--crazy, curly hair, sans hat!  Now, you know what I mean when I say it's wild.  In defense of the hair, the wind was blowing from the back--so, under normal circumstances, it isn't quite that Va-Va-VOOM. It's just voom. or vava.

I have gone full curly though--bangs and all. I don't brush or comb. I don't shampoo.  I only condition and comb it with my fingers. I use a special towel to dry it, one that doesn't take out all the moisture--t-shirt  material.  I use a diffuser that only gets the roots and not the "canopy".  I refresh it each day with a water spray infused with 3 drops of Rosemary essential oil.  And, I use a non-drying gel and curl cream.  I NEVER straighten, because curls have "memory" and the more you let it go curly, the more they remember their shape.

Enough on hair--let's talk horses.  It's hot, and it's hard to ride.  We spend 3/4's of our time now on the water. I'm lucky to get any riding in at all.

I did manage to squeeze in the above ride last Friday. It was a day with my daughter and her husband.  He's somewhat of a newbie to horses, and Shiloh and I know EVERYTHING, so the poor guy gets both ears full.

Colton, sit forward up hills.  
Colton, sit back down hills.  
Colton, put your heels down.  
Colton, let your hips move with the horse's rhythm. 
Colton, slow down around corners while hauling.

Poor guy!  We're ramming a lifetime with horses into a day ride, but he's learning fast and doing great and we should soon be able to just ZiP IT and leave the poor guy alone!


He's a natural.  He's the guy with a HEART for the horse.  He didn't come to it looking at them as tools, but as companions and partners.  I'd say he's 90 percent further than most.  And, he's more than  willing to take correction--he just prefers it be delivered with kindness.  (Hint, hint. Now, we know why our mare herd is so bossy!  They get it from  us.)




The grass is finally starting to dry up, and I'm able to leave the horses out grazing all day without much fear of founder.  They're much happier.  And, my life is easier only having to bring them back in at sundown.



13 comments:

  1. Hot Damn, you are lucky Linda, to get a SIL who wants to horse. My Slippers' bf, Combat Boot, grew up around horses but leans more to his Harley Davidson (don't even ask what I think about my precious daughter on the back of that thing). If I ever convince him to get in the saddle, maybe Slipper would get up again too - but, city folk now.
    Your HAIR!!! So LOVE it, & you rock it SO well! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am super lucky to have an SIL who loves horses! I got some good news last night that they're looking to buy a home next door to us, too. It just keeps getting better.

      Delete
  2. I love your curly hair! Not crazy at all, just right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. You're a curly, too! I walked into Sephora last night and the women who worked there all came over and asked about my curls. They had curly month last month and shipped in all their curly girl products, but had just sent them back. I'm happy to see a new awareness and appreciation for those of us with curls and I'm sad I spent all those years trying to straighten, and silence,my mane!

      Delete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous place to ride, look at that view! and the beautiful curls you wear so well! How fun to be able to share your love of horses with others willing to learn, especially family. Life is always more enjoyable when the weather is favorable ~ no doubt you will all enjoy it to it's fullest!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so grateful to have family who have a love of horses! It can be hard to find riding partners, but I have them built in. :) thank you for supporting the curls, too!!

      Delete
  4. I wish my sister would embrace her curls! All the rest of us have boring straight hair and she straightens hers. Sigh.
    Hope your SIL gets in lots more rides- he looks like he was enjoying it immensely despite the bossy gals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel for your sister. We live in a "control the hair" society and curly hair is not ever fully controlled. Hair stylists hate our hair and sometimes let us know, making us feel even more ashamed or ugly. I fell for that cap for 50 years, so I'm not one to judge another when they choose to straighten. I will say though, embracing my curls has felt a lot like embracing myself and celebrating creation. Instead of blaming God for giving me freakish hair, I thank God for the hair. My SIL said she liked my hair when we were visiting last week. I said, it doesn't matter if a person likes it or not because it's what God gave me. If they have a problem with it, blame him! Lol!

      Delete
  5. Your gorgeous hair is temperamental! For me, its a battle to create body. Left alone, I have helmet hair without ever putting one on. My helmet just makes a bad thing worse. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Yes, temperamental, for sure. My dad used to always call me the "little girl with the curl, right in the middle of her forehead. When she was good, she was very, very good, but when she was bad she was horrid."

      You may be surprised to know, I used to put a hat on every day after I styled--in order to get helmet hair!! That little habit started in about the 6th grade when I was playing softball and I found that my hair was straighter after a long day of practice or a game. Honestly, I would have done anything to have hair like yours.

      Delete
  6. I'd love to have curly hair like yours! It looks great. Mine is straight as a board.

    So nice to have a built in partners for riding right in the family. I have my daughter to ride with. My other daughter rides but is too busy with the girls and boat and too far away. Of course, we have no horses left for her
    to ride. Blue was originally her horse but she gave him to me years ago when she didn't have the time to ride anymore. Which I am grateful for. Your SIL seems like a perfect match with the family and horses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is a great match. He jumped right in and got a horse, horse trailer and he's trading in his Toyota Tacoma for a bigger pick up! That's love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun ride, and so very beautiful! Your little trail mare just keeps getting better and better. :)

    LOL! You crack me up about your hair! You have beautiful hair, because of your glorious curls!! I have curls too, but my hair is much finer and there's less of it than you have. I am just thankful to HAVE hair! Could always be much worse...

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.