Friday, January 9, 2009

Pictures of the Melting Snow and What Not

This is a picture of Beautiful's run--there was a lot of snow that melted in it a few days ago, and then last night's freeze turned it to ice. It's an ice-skating rink, but I was impressed with her ability to walk on it. Still, I worry, so......

Beautiful got locked up where she'll be safe! We lost a colt on Martin Luther King Day of '05 due to ice just like this. He slipped, fell, and broke his shoulder. Here's a picture of him when we purchased him and brought him home.

After he fell, we donated him to WSU to do a special surgery and rehabilitation and, if he made it, adopt him out. He made it! And, was adopted by a vet student from Oregon--who later sold him to a family in Seattle. Here is a picture she sent me.

Here are some more photos of the mud and Cowboy's stall after putting in woodchips. (In this weather we can't keep up with them, and woodchips are costing us $8.00 a bag.

The BIG puddle we tried to build a berm to keep it out of the barn--and were successful.

This is mostly snow with mud and manure mixed in. It's as far as we could get it before the tractor got stuck.

Our trailer was snowed in. It's much better now.

Also, I did get that pendant, and it turns out that she also does CUSTOM portraits for pendants and many other things. On eBay her pendants were 19.99 or 24.99--so I imagine they'd be in that range. Here is her website, if you're interested: Pavilion Pony. Here are some samples of her work.


  1. Beautiful looks like she misses going outside! It's best for her though. When I started reading the story of your '05 colt that fell and broke its shoulder, I feared you were going to say the horse died. Wow, what a gorgeous horse it grew into! So happy to see that picture.

  2. Joanne--that was a very sad episode for us. My daughter Shiloh, who was around 13, had saved up all her money for over a year to buy that colt. She knew exactly which one she wanted--which stallion, which farm. When the colts hit the ground that Spring, we were up there to see them, and she was picking out her "DREAM HORSE". We waited five months, visiting him when we could, to bring him home.

    The day that happened, when he broke his shoulder, she didn't want to let him out into the turnout to run, but I made her.

    I did because I thought it had melted enough that it wouldn't be a threat, and he'd been cooped up for about a week.

    He ran for about ten seconds, slipped, and stood up with his leg out--gentle natured as he was, he waited for us to halter him, and then limped back to his stall.

    For a week he was misdiagnosed by the local vet who couldn't get x-rays that high. I sat in his stall with him every day and cried--both for him because he was such a strong, trusting and loving colt, and for my daughter, who had so many losses--I had counted on him to make them all up for her.

    I didn't think my daughter would love horses the same way after that, and in honesty, she hasn't--but the family all helped her buy another--her palomino filly, Cowgirl. We drove to Southern Idaho through ice, snow and fog all the way to Southern Idaho to pick up that horse. She didn't replace Magic, but it kept Shiloh going with horses.

    The way we found out that Magic had survived--and who owned him, is another tragic story--I'll have to tell sometime.

    It reminds me of that saying I've put on here before, "I will not bring sorrow into a world where sorrow finds me on its own."

  3. We used to get our sawdust from a lumber mill. $20.00 to fill the back of a truck (no matter what the size). It might be something for you to investigate.

  4. I remember the colt very well and the pain and anguish his injury brought to all of you. I'm soooo happy to see his picture and know that he is now strong and handsome.
    Love to all, Mom


Please feel welcome to join our discussion by telling us about your own thoughts and experiences.