Thursday, October 16, 2008

Beautiful Stocking Up

I went out today and Beautiful was stocked up in the back legs--especially the back left. It scared me at first, but when I haltered her and picked out her back hooves, there wasn't any unusual heat in them that I could discern.

Also, I walked her around and she seemed to do okay.

I think she's eating too much. Everyone's feeding her, and sometimes, she sticks her head through the bars and steals food. I'm not sure how much of this she has done, but her neck is starting to feel pretty fat!

So, I'm putting her on a diet tomorrow and I don't think it will take long for her to drop pounds in this cold weather. She's going to be ticked because she LOVES to eat.

Any ideas or suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. I think this "stocking up" thing is very strange. At this very same time of year, last year, my mustang gelding was stocked up in both hind legs as well. Same thing, no heat, no lameness, but still very mysterious because he was in a large pasture. They did have a round bale of crappy hay that they were eating all they wanted on, and the very same day that Chico "stocked up", my mare, Cody, colicked very badly (several day ordeal). We removed the horses from that pasture and moved them to a new one, just in case, and the next morning, Chico's swelling had disappeared. It was very strange. And Arlene (Wildairo & Echo), said that the other day, Foxsun (who is also battling pigeon fever), had swelling in his hind legs even though he was pastured, not stalled. I'm really starting to wonder if this is a seasonal thing that the horses are reacting to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is very strange. I wonder if they don't move as much in the cold weather? She is on rich hay, but its the same she's been on since May, and now that it's getting cold, you'd think she's processing it even faster. She is fat though, I can tell from her neck. So, a little diet isn't going to hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, Sam has a friend who has feral barn cats, maybe they can catch a few and release them at your house! as they are increasing in numbers.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.