Thursday, May 29, 2008

Meet the Herd

I went out this morning with Beautiful--did more of the ten foot arm. She let me pet her for about ten minutes on one side--but had issues with the other. On her good side I was able to ease up on the pole and get within a couple of feet of her from the side to do the petting. So, I'm happy with the progress.

I've picked up the drag rope a couple of times, but she throws a fit and I don't hold onto it--I just figure she's not ready yet and I don't want to start something I'm not willing to finish.

She watches everything. If I'm out in the pasture with the other horses, I can always see her over there watching. She's curious and likes people. She'll stand by a group of people rather than by herself anytime. I've noticed that she really likes human/horse relationships through bars--maybe she's used to that after being at Burns for so long.

So, here is the rest of the herd. I'll paste their pictures in according to their herd order--which is also they order they eat in. LOL.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Shadow--18 year old Quarter Horse. Shadow is the head of the pack--as you can tell since he is a FATTY. You can point him down any trail and he'll get you through whatever comes your way. Arenas are another story. He is my husband, Mike's, horse.

Photobucket

Red: Red is a 28 year old Quarter Horse. He's been there, done that. He is rode a lot by the neighbor children at this point--for lessons and fun. Whenever there's a child's birthday party, he's the guy that gives the rides. He was my daughter, Shiloh's, first horse, and he's a great guy.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Cowgirl: Foundation Quarter Horse-4 years old. Shiloh has raised and trained this one. She's a solid horse, but still young. She used to be a great trail horse, but lately, since we've been taking jigging Cowboy along, she has started picking up on the jigging, too. It will something Shiloh works with her on for the summer.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

C' ya: APHA-3 year old. C'ya is my baby. I've been working with her since last August. She had a lot of handling previously, and human bonding from birth, so she's about opposite a Mustang in every way.

Photobucket

Jasmine: 12 year old pony--she's another project since she has trust issues from way back. I adopted her in July and she's doing better all the time. I don't think it's the kind of thing that passes on from owner to owner, though. So, I hope to keep her for the rest of her life once I earn her trust.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Cowboy: 13 year old APHA Gelding. Cowboy is my guy. He was a stallion for the first part of his life--and produced one filly. When I got him he had issues jigging/prancing on the trail and had been through quite a few owners. I worked with him solidly for a year--almost every day and he largely got over it. However, a year and a half ago he suffered a P3 fracture in the hoof. It extended into his coffin joint. The rest period took until two months ago and we're still rehabilitating him. I'm supposed to ride him only at a walk, but since he has reverted to jigging/prancing, it makes it impossible to stick to that. However, he does great in arenas--as I've been taking him for dressage lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.