Friday, April 28, 2017

Concussion, New Poultice for Hoof Abscess, & An Escape Artist

Word of advice, if you suspect a concussion, don't take Advil, take Tylenol. I found this out after I took Advil. Apparently, if there's a bleed, Advil can make it worse. I probably don't have a bleed, but I did get a rock solid concussive hit to the right forehead that knocked me from the crouching position to my butt.

I was administering a new poultice to Little Joe's front right hoof abscess this morning, when the dog started barking and two goats ran under him. The next thing I knew, I was laid out.  Another word of advice: never let your guard down. When something happens, it can happen in an instant. 

Too late for me. But I did have a long session with Little Joe after that so he learns to respect my space.  He'll need a few more. 

The poultice I made for him consists of an air-activated heat pad, Nitrofurazone, Epsom salts, a wash cloth, diaper and duct tape. I do have a boot for him, but this is so thick, it doesn't fit in the boot.


I cut the wash cloth and diaper to the size of the heating pad and then stirred the Nitrofurazone and Epsom salts together to make a paste. I packed the sole with the paste and covered it with the wash cloth, then the heating pad, then the diaper, and finally covered it all in duct tape. 

The reasoning behind this poultice is it's difficult to keep a horse's hoof in warm water and salt for long enough to draw out the infection. This particular poultice, however, keeps the heat applied for approximately 8 hours. 

Little Joe has been very worried about losing his girlfriend, Foxy, and that is why he wasn't thinking when he overreacted to the goats. He has also been dropping weight with his anxiety and pacing. Since he has foundered, putting that weight back on posed a challenge, so I turned to Rebecca for advice. She recommended an Equine Senior that uses beet pulp as its main forage and a product called Super Weight Gain.



The Equine Senior is one I've always used by Aslin Finch. 

**Update: I just now looked out the window and saw Little Joe had found a way to open the gate and get out with the herd. They all look peaceful, so I'm going to let them be. What an escape artist. There's no end of surprises today. 


10 comments:

  1. You probably already know this of course Linda, but if I remember correctly, furacin can permeate the skin barrier, so gloves are an appropriate precaution when using furacin products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know. I didn't use gloves when I packed it into the hoof. The only side effects I can find are itching, swelling and redness, but I didn't get any of that. Are there others?

      Delete
  2. Ouch! You never know when they're going to knock you for a loop. Things happen in an instant around horses. I hope you're feeling better but take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blame myself. I was overlooking his signs. You should never get under a distracted horse like that. I was in a hurry. Things never go well when you're in a hurry. I'm glad it wasn't worse. I do have a headache, but I've been functional all day...enough to blog about it and I've been out working with them all and doing chores. I guess I'll live and learn.

      Delete
  3. Oh dang, Linda! Ouch! Take care and feel better tomorrow - after coffee :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's officially tomorrow and I'm still alive and feeling better. I guess I have a thick skull. On the bright side, after our come to Jesus moment, Joe picked up his foot for me to Dr just by seeing me coming toward it. He was relaxed and checked in. Basically, how he should have been yesterday. I can't take all the credit. When he escaped into the mare pasture, he had his real come to Jesus moment. Lol. Mares are crazy! They flirt and then run you off.

      Delete
  4. Oh ouch! Sure hope it isn't a bad concussion. If you are on Facebook, check out a page Tracey Westbury started called She Ain't No Dummy- it's all baout the effets of concussion. https://www.facebook.com/SheAintNoDummY/?ref=br_rs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! Unexpected impact always seems to happen in a nano second. Glad you didn't get hurt worse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scary. I can't poultice anymore. It takes longer to apply a poultice than I can bend over. I bought an extra large medicine boot and hope it stays on long enough to do some good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa -- glad you weren't hurt worse.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.