Monday, February 6, 2017

Snow Cancels Horsin' Around, A Hawaiian Vacation, & My Sweet Guitar

 More Snow

 We got dumped on again here in Spokane, and that, unfortunately, canceled our February horse clinic.  The roads were slick and dangerous--so it was a good call--but, oh, so sad!  Hopefully, we'll be able to reschedule for next Saturday--weather permitting--which will be one day before we leave for a Hawaiian vacation.  (More on that below.)

Before the dumping, I did get a couple more rides at the barn in.  I rode Leah in a new saddle and bareback, but this time I didn't see any difference in the two.  She tosses her head when I ask for the trot.  I had a friend ride her, too, and she thinks its a habit--a kind of tizzy over being asked to do something that differs from she wants to do.  Time will tell.

*********

Hawaiian Vacation


I packed two days ago--completely packed--for our Hawaii vacation.  We've saved all year for this trip and we're making sure to stay longer this time.  We leave next week, but when it started to snow...and snow...and snow...I consoled myself by packing swimsuit, sun hat, shorts, sun dresses, sunscreen, etc.etc.  I also packed riding boots & jeans because I do plan to ride on the island again, but not at the same spot.  This time we'll be riding here.  Paniolo Adventures--picnic ride.  I need to book it!

I used to think a Hawaiian vacation was a waste of money, after all, you could buy a new horse or saddle with that $$--or guitar--or piano, but that only lasted until we actually went to Hawaii.

Hawaii is our How to Survive Winter drug.

**********


After a year of playing the guitar, this is what my fingers look like. I promise, they don't hurt!  In fact, they're rather numb.  I was worried it would affect my piano playing, but if anything, it has improved it.  I hear music differently now--I see it differently, too.  I so wish I'd started playing the guitar at the same time I started piano.

I love my guitars.  I have the Big Baby Taylor and the Taylor 414ce.  The Big Baby is my porch/boat/office guitar and the Taylor 414 is my LOVE. I play so often now, everyday, multiples times a day, that I have to restring every few weeks.  I buy my strings in bulk and learned to string by watching this video by Martin.


Here are some photos of the process:





********

I  had over 3,000 pictures on my phone, so I weeded them out.  But while I was at it, I found this one of Cowboy's plate.  I kept it as a souvenir all these years to remember everything we've been through and how lucky I am to still have him.

And these  Beautiful memories of summer.  Yes, we will see sunshine and green grass and flowers again!






13 comments:

  1. Your vacation sounds like a dream. It will be good to get away from all that snow you've been having. All my grandkids take piano lessons and one granddaughter got a guitar this year for Christmas. She loves playing,she's seven. You can never start too young. My son is a very accomplished guitar player too and can play anything by just hearing it once. It's a gift he has. At a young age he could play Eric Clapton and twelve string guitars and progressed to bass guitars and drums. After numerous bands and gigs he got married had kids and doesn't play as much now. He doesn't have the time. Sounds like you're enjoying your guitars a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aloha! Wow! Your son sounds very gifted at music. I have a musical son, too. He started on violin, then moved to bass guitar and drums, and finally acoustic guitar and electric guitar. I want an electric guitar for my 50th birthday coming up!

      Delete
  2. We did the sunset ride at the Paniolo ranch -- and loved it! How wonderful that you play the guitar. I love the sound of a guitar -- especially acoustic, just sitting around and singing songs. I don't play (played viola when I was younger) but I love the sound and the ambiance it creates. Perfect with your poetry. ...all those cowboy poets out there; we need Linda, the cowgirl poet, singing her songs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you saying you'd been on this ride. I'm leaning toward the picnic because it's just a little bit longer, but who knows--maybe we'll opt for the sunset. Can't go wrong with either! Ha! Singing Cowgirl poet. I like it. ;) I'm going full hillbilly--I need a banjo.

      Delete
  3. Hawaii is addictive. I often think of it and wish I could go back. Everything about the islands is so unique that it's easy to recall the sights, sounds, smells, etc. Every time I hear those frogs... Take lots of pictures, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It does make a lasting mark on your memory senses. I can't wait. I'll take lots of pictures and share them when I get back!

      Delete
  4. I hope you have a wonderful time on your vacation! It sounds like the perfect way to escape this winter weather that just won't end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the longest winter I can remember. I can't wait for a break!

      Delete
  5. Oh, you lucky, lucky girl! I hope you have the most amazing vacation and soak in all that gloriously warm sunshine so you can bring it back home with you. What a timely escape from this never-ending winter we've been having. Which island are you going to? I've only been to Oahu once, but LOVED it! We rented a little beach cottage and it was awesome, just a hop and a skip to the beach, glorious views and I never wanted to leave. Your poor fingers! To earn those calluses, you must be playing a lot. :) I've always wanted to play the acoustic guitar for those very reasons Annette mentioned. I play piano, but have lost much of what I knew in years with scarce playing. The portability of a guitar is wonderful. Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're going to the island of Hawaii--on the Kona side, but North of Kona at the Hapuna Prince. They have their own beach and are away from the shopping areas, so it's quieter. Yes, the portability of the guitar is what I love about it. I haven't played my piano as much as I used to, but lately I've been hitting it again. You should buy a guitar and start!! I'm going to get an electric guitar for my 50th...hopefully!

      Delete
  6. Oh, in answer to your question on my blog. We feed about 3/4 of a bale in the morning and that's enough the horses get satisfied, move off and then can return for nibbles later on. We have a couple that would play clean-up until it's all gone and blow up like balloons if they had access all day long. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only get away with the 24/7 in the really cold months, but I noticed Leah is starting to fatten up again. :( 30's are too warm for free feed. I'll have to put her in stall before I leave for vaca.

      Delete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.