Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Vacation San Diego--Ride Canceled


I escaped the snow for a little vacation to visit family in San Diego, California!

The reason my hands are up in the air in these pictures is because I remembered to bring my rain boots!


Yes, those wonderful Hunter rain boots of mine, and ALL my other cold weather clothes, because we made it just in time for the BIG storm. 

We had reserved a 3 hour beach ride down near the Mexico border at Pony Land but the only day we could do it was the day of the torrential down pour.  Sadly, I had to cancel it.  Trees were knocked down, big waves had washed sand up onto the boardwalks, it was kind of crazy.


But that didn't stop people from going to the beach.  In fact, two ladies were swept away by a huge wave at Ocean Beach down the road from Mission Beach (pictured here) on the same day we were there.  They only recovered one of them!  Here's the story.  My heart goes out to them and their families!!  I always think, there but for the grace of God go I.

We didn't know about that tragedy until we got home, so we were enjoying ourselves.  I would not have posed for a picture with my back turned to the ocean if I had known about it.  There were some big waves that came up pretty quick and threatened to go over my boots, but I moved back.

 Even though it was overcast and rainy, 61 degrees was still WAY warmer than back home in Spokane, WA.




What's not to love about the beach?

And Palm Trees?  The beach below is the one at Mission Bay, where my grandmother always took us in the summers.


 I even got to see my grandparent's old home. Such good memories there on Iroquois Way.


Despite the rain, we had a wonderful time with our family.  Lots of food, lots of good times, lots of love.

But there were some animals who were very happy to see us when we got home.

And now we're back to work and life--and I need to get some rides in!!

7 comments:

  1. Did just your grandmother live down there or did you grow up in the area? I grew up in Los Angeles, and we vacationed in Imperial Beach every summer when I was little. We stopped going when someone stole just my bikini bottoms, which were hanging on the patio to dry, and my brother's boogie board. I had heard several men outside our sliding glass door at night whispering, but I was too young to think that anything sinister was going on. After that, we vacationed in the mountains and never returned to the beach for family vacations, but once I turned 16 I could drive myself to the beach all I wanted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandfather and grandmother moved there in the early 40's--so my dad and aunt grew up there. We spent summers there and eventually moved there--for a year--when my grandmother was sick. My grandfather died a year or so before her. :( They were the best grandparents EVER. They died too young--each at 67. We were over in Clairemont--right up the road from Mission Bay. I believe that was the first home they owned.

      Delete
  2. We have family in San Diego as well -- my brother lives in Pacific Beach and Brett's sister lives in UC -- just across the highway from Clairemont (where my brother's wife grew up). We heard about the storm but not about those women washed out to sea -- how awful. When we lived in SoCal, we used to take the horses to Imperial Beach to ride -- one of the few places where you can ride on the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a small world. I attended Clairemont High in 1982-83. I wonder when your SIL was there. The women were drug out to sea on Sunday. The big storm was Friday. We were inside that day, but the tumultuous weather churned on.

      Delete
  3. That's awful about the women. I love the beach having grown up on Long Island (N.Y.). We were always at a beach as kids and used to take the Ferry over to Fire Island all the time. It was a great way to skip school! I've never been to San Diego but I hear they usually have perfect weather. Unfortunately, just not this time when you were there. I'm sure the pups were very happy to see you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, San Diego rarely gets bad weather. I could feel sorry for myself, actually, but it's the luck of the draw. And, I always feel like things happen for a reason. Maybe we were meant to spend more time inside with family. It worked out for the best.

      Delete
  4. Storms are scary, all types. They make for great photos. I am always tempted, but it's not worth it. Staying inside was a wise choice. I love the ocean & also used to go as a kid visiting family in Spain. My hubby prefers mountains, so I haven't felt the ocean in years. Love mountains, but miss the ocean. Time away in any kind of weather, is time well spent.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.