Monday, January 2, 2017

Riding Bareback in the Snow: Day One of 2017

Happy 2017!




My New Year's Resolutions:

1. Ride Beautiful Girl
2.Get better at Finger Picking the guitar.
3. Go to Maine.
4.Work with my horses 100 days. (Possibly 150)


5. Ride bareback in the snow!





Happy New Year, everyone.  I had the hardest time saying goodbye to 2016--one of the best years of my life, but here's hoping 2017 is as good or better!  Horses, and the people who love horses and share that passion with me, have added so much to my life.  

Case in point, my granddaughter was here for New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, and she suggested we ride the horses bareback through the snow.  What a great idea, but I wouldn't have thought of it.  In fact, I have never done it before.  Never.  But I will tell you, it is magical.  The snow was falling, there was snow on the ground, their backs were wet with snow, but they kept us warm with their body's heat as they trudged through the deep, soft banks of it.  It made me glad to be alive.

Did you notice #1 on my list--ride Beautiful Girl?  It's because she's pestering me every day.  Take me!  Take me! She wants to be taken out so badly, and she's such a good girl, I'm thinking I can get her trained for riding without too much stress on her legs.  I'm going to give it a try and see how far we can get, anyway.  






Our tradition is to set up a tripod in the north pasture and take a holiday photo with a couple of horses every year.  For this year, I had Cowboy, my love, and Leah--who has also made her place in my heart.  Whenever I go to the pasture nowadays, she stops what she's doing to come greet me--like Cowboy and Beautiful Girl have always done.  That's a sign that we've come a long, long way.

So, raise a glass with me!  Here's to as much time with horses as we can possibly achieve in 2017--

and to those MAGICAL moments when we live like children again and ride our horses bareback through the falling snow!



17 comments:

  1. I love riding bareback in the snow. I don't have enough confidence in Skeeter and I together to try it yet, but we'll get there. It was one of my favorite activities with Estes. So peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow is so deep, there is a soft cushion should we fall. We have about 18" of soft stuff out there.

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic way to start the new year! I've always wanted to ride in fluffy snow, it's one of my goals as well. Glad you got to enjoy the magic with your daughter. Great pics & tradition. Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year! I hope you get to experience that snow ride soon!

      Delete
  3. Love your pictures in the snow. I've never ridden bareback but have with a saddle. I love it. I'm sure Beautiful Girl will be so excited if you start to ride her. Even though her legs can't take much stress maybe she could just go on walks with you around the pastures and on soft trails. Whatever you do with her she will appreciate being with you. All your resolutions are good ones. I'd love to be able to have 100 days with the horses. Some day when I have some time for myself it may become a reality. Good luck and Happy Fun New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the reasons I do the 100 days is because I fear there will be a time when I won't be able to. :( Everything has its season, my friend. I hope 2017 finds you with more you-time.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful aspirations, each and every one. Your pictures are just lovely, all that fluffy snow! I'm going to try the 100 days with horses. I won't beat myself up if I don't make it, but I'm going to give it a go. I used to ride only bareback, or mostly anyway. We were too lazy to put saddles on and just went. I rode Missy last summer bareback and she was lovely. That girl is so very willing! Happy 2017 to you, your family and your animal family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year! I remember riding bareback as a kid, too, but it was because the adults wouldn't share the saddles. I never got good at it. Maybe this year.

      Delete
    2. For the 100 days--anything you do that is training, no matter how much time is spent as long as it's over 15 minutes, counts! It's directed totally by you and your needs. I groomed BG today and untangled her dreds which took a lot of time being tied up. I would have counted that for her because she sucks at being tied for long. I ended up riding Cowboy bareback through the snow agian, though, because I was already out there and it was a sunny day I didn't want to waste!

      Delete
  5. I love riding in the snow! I haven't done it bareback yet but maybe some year on Carmen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to give Leah a try this week. Wish me luck.

      Delete
  6. I was wondering how a wet back would be riding bareback -- sounds like it wasn't an issue at all. Thank goodness for body heat. It looks like a blast (I've never ridden bareback in the snow so enjoyed living vicariously through you). Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. It was all great until we got off--then the wet and cold became terrifically painful! LOL. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  7. How beautiful! Happy New Year to you and yours and those amazing ponies! Ride well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I plan to ride well and live well! Happy New Year, to you, too. I hope you look back in 2018 and remember it as your very best!

      Delete
  8. I love riding bareback in the snow! Actually better than bareback at any other time of the year. My ride on Beamer the other day was bareback. I've been doing that all my life. I was remembering last night about how I got started riding bareback- (although I prefer saddle now just for security). There was an old cowboy who had a big herd of rag tag different horses, and he'd rent them out for a buck a day to all the kids who would come for miles to ride. I used to bicycle 6 miles to get there. We rode everywhere and all year bareback as he only had enough saddles for about a quarter of the horses, and the girls/guys who had been riding there the longest always got the saddles. It was a great childhood! And nary a helmet in the bunch! Nobody got hurt, some of us fell off but we always got back on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW!!! Just wow!! What a memory, Shirley!! What an experience!! What a guy!! I fell off bareback in the Las Vegas desert and I had to walk home because my pony ran back. I'm still alive to tell about it. No one I knew wore helmets back then either. I'm with you that I prefer a saddle--by far--but there is something to be said to bareback riding. I think falling off when your bareback is just safer all around. And, riding bareback helps you build your core balance.

      Delete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.