Saturday, January 14, 2017

Rebecca Suggests a Plan for Beautiful Girl & Me



I asked, Rebecca, my trainer, to come over on Thursday and watch me with Beautiful Girl and then give me some suggestions about how to proceed.

This is my plan:

1. Continue putting my weight on her back--first laying over, then kicking leg partially over, sit on top of her & pet her, let her move where she pleases while I'm on her. Rebecca also suggested placing things along the fence line that she can meander over to and explore--so that she doesn't get too bored with the whole process. Do this from BOTH sides.

2. As soon as the roads are clear, practice hauling her in the trailer to the next door farm, and back and forth--unloading and loading.

3. Pony her at home and on the trail, preferably with the horse she most looks to and respects--Cowgirl.

4. Never proceed to the next step until she is confident and bored with the step she's on.  We're trying to avoid her emotional side and strengthen her ability to console herself and build courage away from the herd.

Today was my 13th day of blessings, and working with Beautiful Girl lends itself well to these small training sessions.  My goal was to throw a leg over and sit on her back today.


Her back.  I've been seeing a lot of this from the mounting trough.  She has become really good at standing there and letting me jump on.


That is what she thought of me laying over her back--zzzzzzz-, so I proceeded to throw the leg partially over--and eventually, fully over.

It went well and it was so warm.  (More incentive to be on your horse, rather than leading it.)  I did it from both sides and then put her back with the other horses.

Here are some more photos from the last few days.

More bareback riding. The snow actually was hard on Cowboy's shins--rubbed them a little raw.  So, I'm slowing it down until the snow softens up.


Out our front door last night.


Out our front door this morning.


 The view from on top of Beautiful girl today--the rest of the herd in the fog.


Beautiful Girl stands, or comes to me now, when I approach her with the halter and lead.  This next picture was not one of those times, but this is how she usually looks.




A sign of relaxation and comfort.  Same look she had today when I was on her back.


11 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great plan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to add passing the rope back and forth over her head and bending her head in.

      Delete
  2. Love the shots of the snow -- and how well it is going with Beautiful Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slow and steady wins the race, they say. I'll be putting it to the test.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful sleepy eye!
    The view out your front door - are we seeing your front yard fence , then a driveway, then your pasture? I enjoy seeing where blogger friends live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Good deduction. That's the south pasture, it winds around to the west and meets the north pasture.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a good plan. Beautiful seems pretty unimpressed with you being on her back. Love that she's taking a short nap while you're doing all the work! Beautiful pics of the snow around your home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, there is so much snow! It's going to melt Tuesday! I don't want it to. :(

      Delete
  5. Good plan! One step at a time, and no pressure. I bet she will love getting ponied and it's a good way to leg her up.
    Looks like we have about the same amount of snow- just over a foot.
    We're having issues with the river- ice jams are causing flooding downstream from us. It's getting milder now so the water is flowing again, and it's supposed to rain. Could get a little scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid of the coming rain and warm Temps. It's going to be awful here. I have ponied Beautiful around the arena before, and she did pretty good. Pony ing her at the park will be scary!! I may ask Rebecca to help me with that from Cowgirl.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful suggestions & plan. It's good to know when to ask for help, or even another opinion. Beautiful photos!! I am loving your snow, wish we had some.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.