Wednesday, January 11, 2017

100 Days of Blessings

The way a crow 
shook down on me
The dust of snow 
from a hemlock tree
Has given my heart 
a change of mood
And saved some part 
of a day I had rued.

Robert Frost


I typed the Robert Frost poem above from memory, and it was all correct. Yay, for keeping my memory!  It's one I refer back to in my mind on snowy days--like today.

While I was out riding Cowboy bareback in the snow and sun--I realized--this is not a 100 Day "Challenge"--

This is 100 days of Blessings!

I have been blessed every day, except one, since 2017 began, which makes this my 10th day of blessings.

If it weren't for my horses, I could easily be depressed about all this snow and cold, but because of them, I get out in it and find that it's not all that bad.  I bundle up--layer after layer after layer--and roll myself out to the barn.  They're all in good moods and happy to play.  They seem to like the snow!

Cowboy was a little off on his bad foot today.  I've noticed him holding it out more because of the cold weather and its affect on his arthritis. I've been giving him Bute to help that.  Riding is good for him though.  He really needs to keep moving.

I took Beautiful Girl out and put my weight on her back again--she did much, much better. I wiggled around and kicked my feet up.  She bent around to smell them and seemed quite relaxed and curious.

Oh, let me tell you how she really blessed me today!  ....

After I put Cowboy away and gave him some grain, I went back out to the turnout to get Beautiful.  She was in an open run.  So, I walked way out, holding the rope and halter, and called to her--just wondering if she'd give it a try.

Guess what?

She came out of the run and walked over to me!

It's little things like that that make my heart melt.




14 comments:

  1. It sounds like a perfect day. I'm sure you had a huge smile on your face when she came to you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disbelief! It was a pretty big thing, really. Maybe someday I'll be able to whistle to her and have her come like the Lone Ranger. I better bring treats!

      Delete
  2. Its those little things that make our hearts smile. And I love Robert Frost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. The little, big things that say we're together. They're good friends to me.

      Delete
  3. Love that poem, I don't remember it but I did read his poems so many years ago.
    I think we are blessed to have horses to get us through these cold hard winters. Every day at chore time is a highlight for me, even if I do have to bundle up. I like your idea of calling it 100 days of blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've gotten some amazing winter photos! I've really enjoyed seeing them. More bkessings!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful, friendly, co-operative Girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she's cooperative as long as you don't push her too fast.

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh - YES!!! How right you are, and it was just a shift in your perspective to make a world of difference. :) I have never heard that poem before, and I just love it! How absolutely perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree - what would we do without our amazing horses to bring us love and light and remind us of what's important? BG loves her momma...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Horses really are a gift and an honor to be near. BG is a deeply loyal horse, she bonded hard with me as a yearling, but I've appreciated the strength she learned from being dominantly with the herd. She's a more forward horse than she used to be.

      Delete
  7. It really is those little things that make the heart glow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and they can be rare. She didn't come when called yesterday.

      Delete
  8. I am impressed you typed that beautiful poem from memory, not my strength. I can feel your joy with the words you chose to share!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.