Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Riding Horses & Having Fun in Scottsdale, Arizona

We just got back from a trip to sunny Scottsdale, Arizona--temps in the 70's, sunshiney skies--bliss! (We returned home to 0 degrees, snow, and ice.) 

During our stay, we did get a horseback ride in with Cave Creek Outfitters. We chose Cave Creek Outfitters because of their location outside of the city.  It was a beautiful ride, and we had a really nice guide who was on his first day on the job.  I was hoping for a calm, safe ride because we took my sister and her husband and he is recovering from a bad back injury.  It was very relaxing and laid back and, besides my husband's 4 year old filly who had a ton of personality and sass--the others were rock solid trail horses.  (And, truth told, she was, too, but my hubby committed the unforgivable sin of letting his girl eat all along the way! Ha!)

Instead of writing a lot in this post, I'll do a photo post instead.  








Christmas in the desert!




The art!






A painting we admired and would have loved to have purchased, but it was $135,000, so we took a picture instead.  This is by Croatian artist, Zvonimir Mihanovic. We felt lucky to have seen it.  You can't see very well, but he doesn't have a fishing pole--only a line.



A two-legged hike.





Downtown. Scottsdale has the most fabulous statues throughout the city!


Furniture we'd have loved to have brought home!



8 comments:

  1. Looks like a nice place to ride. A couple of years ago my daughter and I went letterboxing at McDowell Sonoran Preserve, thinking we'd be gone for just 45 minutes, but we got lost and ended up hiking 8 miles in 5 hours. That was my first experience at how dangerous the desert can be, even if you are surrounded by people. We told several people we were lost, but they just chastised us for not grabbing a trail map out of the (empty) box at the trail head when we started. I was confused, because we didn't have map box where we started. It turned out that I parked in an equestrian lot for horse trailers and didn't know it, because there were no signs and there were a bunch of cars parked there. I wrote a blog post about it: http://nuzzlingmuzzles.blogspot.com/2010/02/letterboxing-adventure.html

    My next door neighbor would only shop and eat in restaurants in Scottsdale, and she would drag me along to keep her company. I kept telling her that it was too far away and I couldn't leave the dogs at home unattended for several hours. I always came home to a mess. She had dogs too, but she had an indoor/outdoor air conditioned kennel. She shopped in downtown Scottsdale so much that she and the owners of the stores knew each others' names. The owners of restaurants would make a special appearance at our table to chat with her. She thrived on the social life there.

    I hope the traffic wasn't too bad. I'm at a point where I rarely go to WestWorld anymore, because of the amount of time I spend parked on the freeway waiting for traffic to move.

    I'm commenting at 2:30 in the morning because Midge keeps waking me up again. It's been a rough week having a sick dog at home. I keep taking things to help me sleep through her pacing, but nothing has been working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe you were up that late!! I feel so bad for Midge.

      The traffic wasn't bad at the times we ventured out. We stayed in a house on the edge of downtown Scottsdale, so we mostly walked everywhere. There were a few odd ball things we wanted: In and Out burgers, Fluff It marshmallows, and a Dunkin Donut because none of that is up here. I bought some turquoise jewelry, too. I'll share photos of my finds in another post.

      Delete
  2. I love Scottsdale and Arizona in general. They do have some really nice shops there. Looks like you all had a nice time in the warm weather before you got home to freezing temps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Scottsdale, too. My grandpa was born on a farm near Bisbee and Tombstone. My great grandparents had met there--he mined at the Copper Queen and her brother owned the boarding house where he stayed. I like to visit down there if I get the chance, but not this trip. This was all Scottsdale. I haven't even seen the Grand Canyon yet!! I need to go back!!

      Delete
  3. I love trail riding and hiking in AZ. I'm kind of hooked on it now. :) that looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you had a wonderful time. We've spent a fair amount of time in the Scottsdale area (Brett lived there for a number of years in his "previous" life) and visit Brett's brother who lives in the area from time to time. The desert is beautiful, but not my cup of tea -- I think I got too much of it growing up. It is beautiful to look at but, OMG, the heat...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had a ton of fun & I'm happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice getaway! My friend Shayla just arrived in Arizona for a few months with plans to show her horse in Scottsdale at the big Arabian show.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.