Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Merry Christmas & Happy Winter Solstice


First of all, Merry Christmas to everyone out there who celebrates Christmas.  This will be my last post until after the weekend of festivities.  Happy Winter Solstice, too!  I believe it occurred, officially, this morning at around 2:30 AM.  "Somewhere deep inside of you a kernel of courage unfurling -- each day, more light."


Today was  my 124th Day working with horses in 2016.  The bitter cold slowed us down.  It has been a year of ups and downs, as it always is with horses, but overall, I think it was awesome!!

It was so great, I plan to do the 100 Day Challenge again this year.  I invite anyone who would like to join me to come along for the ride.

Believe it or not, we're still working on getting Leah's weight down.  The poor thing barely eats, but she still stays a bit fat.  One of my goals for 2017 will be bringing her down to a perfect weight and maintaining it.  I want to get Leah into peak performance shape.

Another horse goal is beginning to work with Beautiful Girl again and do as much as she can physically handle.  Having Rebecca, the trainer, so close by makes this the perfect time to start again.

And, as always, I want as many rides on my heart horse, Cowboy, as I can get.

I also want to see how great Red can do at the age of 36--coming 37.  It's always a challenge, but he's looking good so far.  Here is a picture of him with the herd this morning.  He's still BIG Red, as you can see.  I don't give him Bute regularly, but I may start this year. 


Finally, I want to help my daughter and grand-daughter have as much quality time with their horses as they can manage.

As I sign off for the holiday, I want to leave you with Leah's dieting advice: 




And yes, she did eat that!

16 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you and your family. I feel for poor Leah, from one easy keeper to another. Just remember that horses need a steady supply of forage to keep their guts in good working order. :) And, please give your Big Red a kiss and a hug for me will you? God Bless the dear, sweet old horses...may he enjoy every single day. Your wintry pictures are so beautiful. We've had 2 snows and a couple weeks of freezing weather already. Pretty rare for us - and yay for Winter Solstice...bring on those longer days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big believer in lots of available forage. When we were in Scottsdale, the Temps dropped up here, so I put her out with the others to get 24/7 access to the grass bale. When I got hime, I put her back in, and I feed her small portions several times a day. I need to get a hay net for her. I will give Red a hug for you! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

      Delete
  2. Did I Eat That? Sometimes when I tell my husband that he just ate six meals in half an hour, he looks confused, like he didn't even realize he was eating. I skip most meals and I'm still fatter than him. I wasn't good about tracking my horse time, so I have no idea if I got 100 days in or not. Happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably did get 100 in, you're pretty busy with your horses. Yeah, watching Leah versus the other horses, I really see how different metabolisms contribute to weight gain. It's amazing the differences! Your husband is a lucky one.

      Delete
  3. You've had a great year. Poor Leah, I know how she feels. I gain weight just looking at food. Good for you for having plans for the New Year. I don't make plans anymore it's too depressing when they don't work out. Big Red is awesome, may he have more years of good health.

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and the gang. Have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Merry Christmas to you and your family! I hope it's wonderful for all!

      Delete
  4. Merry Christmas to you and yours! Thank you for sharing your world and horses through your experiences and amazing photos! Just beautiful and so enjoyable ~ Have a wonderful Holiday Season...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! Have a wonderful Christmas!

      Delete
  5. Merry Christmas to you and your family and herd!
    Thinking about Leah- have you checked to see if she is insulin resistant? Many horses that can't seem to get fit are that way. Feeding them less can also cause stomach ulcers, which has it's own set of problems.
    I think I"ll join in on the 100 day challenge; I'm retiring at the end of this month so that gives me way more time to spend with my horses, and now that I have trails close by, as well as a good trailer for hauling I should be able to do that challenge easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't checked her for it because I assume she has it. From what I've read, feeding low sugar/starch, exercise and weight loss can reverse it in horses, so I'm doing everything I can, without starving her, to get there. It takes a lot of work and time delivering her several meals a day. Retiring? Wow, congratulations! ! You'll blow through 100 days fast! That's awesome!

      Delete
  6. Happy Christmas to you too! I would echo what Shirley said as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas! Looking forward to reading more about your beautiful horses in the New Year. We have just begun to build a new homestead, so we can live with our horses. The big move will be towards the end of next year. Doubtful I will get 100 rides in, but once we are all together count me in! I did not know that was what Diet stood for, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year! That's a lot to look forward to. What an adventure!

      Delete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.