Friday, October 14, 2016

Life Since Shadow

After Shadow passed, I got sick. It was a blessing and a curse.  A curse because I was sick and it was awful, but a blessing because it kept me in bed and away from the barn.  No counting of horses and coming up short, no calling the geldings in, but only having two to supplement.  It worked out good for me to be sick.

During my hiatus, I watched an entire season, plus three, of Poldark. What else do you do when you're stuck in bed?  And, I dug up my horse's papers to see how old Shadow was.

He was only 26.

That is shocking to me.  I look at Red, who is 36, and Shadow, who was only 26, and I'm amazed at how some horses age so much better than others!  Watching from my window, a few minutes ago, there was Old Red pushing Cowboy around and playing with him--as if he was 36 going on 3.

Red had the most humble beginnings.  I had to laugh about his bill of sale.



I found Carl Ingram's obituary today when I googled his name.  Apparently, he was hit by a car and died.  Very tragic. After owning Red, I'd have bought a horse from him any day of the week.



If  you want a good laugh, though, click on this link and read his obit!

Shadow came from a more noble background.  To start with, he actually had an "official" pedigree.  Gray Gus was his "name," and he started life out in Baker, Oregon, a descendant of Bold Ruler.



He goes back to money winning race & halter horses like Winning Song.



and Bunny Mackay.


Not that any of that mattered to us.  To us, he was just good 'ol Shadow.

While I was researching, I looked up Leah's papa from her papers.  Here she is on the registration.  Awww...so cute!


Here are her papers.


Here is her daddy. (BLING)

Here's a video I found of him. Cajun's Smokin Bandit.



There are lots of qualities he passed on to her.

While I was on sick leave, I also watched a training video by Parelli.  I'm  not into one trainer or another--I truly believe there is something to learn from EVERYONE, even, if not especially, "non-trainers."

But there is much, in this video, that I see in myself and Leah.  I went out today and tried something from it, and I intend to try much more.

But I'll write on that in a few days...

10 comments:

  1. Oh Linda, I am so very sorry to hear of Shadow's passing...it hurts like hell to lose a good horse, and it's so very hard to have to make that decision. Always sucks, but the best and most loving of horse caretakers do it because it's the kindest thing to do, sometimes. We put our feelings aside and do what's best for our beloved horses, even though a part of us dies with them. Your big, beautiful grey horse is resting in peace now, no more arthritic joints, no more pain...until you meet again. I truly believe that there will be horses in heaven. As I've learned, "soul" simply means to have life, so of course all animals are "living souls". What kind of a place would heaven be without our amazingly kind and loving animals there? :)
    But in the meantime, you were given the gift of having that great horse live with your family and make your lives better...what a blessing! Please pass on my sympathies to your husband and give each other a hug for me. Please know that I'm sorry for your loss, and wish it didn't have to be this way.

    I hope you're feeling better now, and can get back out there to the barn and bury your nose in the sweet-smelling necks of those waiting for you...

    BTW - Cajun Indio used to live just a few miles from here (maybe still does?), and his owners are still our clients. Small world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet condolence. I appreciate the kind words. I do hope we can see our horses on the other side of this life.

      I'm amazed that you know Cajun Indio. I'm curious how old he'd be now.That is really cool.

      Delete
  2. Love the Bunny Mackay breeding. As I scrolled through the photos on your last post, I found myself thinking what a beauty Shadow was.
    I hope you're feeling better now- both physically and spiritually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he was. Thanks for complimenting him. He was exceptionally beautiful as a youngster and always retained his sweet, intelligent eyes. I regret that I let him get too fat over the years. I always felt that it was a blessing for them to be able to run free around the pastures & have plenty of free-choice grass around, but with the physical problems Leah faced this year, I've changed that strategy. They're not as happy without the constant access to food, but I hope it helps them live longer and stay sound. For some reason, Red and Cowboy just don't get overweight--they've always been able to regulate it somehow. Shadow and Leah could fat on a freeway, as my farrier always says.

      I'm going through the process of could of, should of, would of. I think it's natural as we grow and constantly evaluate our horse care philosophy. I would like all my horses to live at least as long as Old Red--barring any catastrophic events. It could be though, that some have less solid conformation, which puts more stress on the joints, which breaks those joints down faster over time and causes more arthritis.

      Delete
  3. We never get enough time with the ones that we love.
    :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. Here's hoping we'll see them in eternity, for eternity!

      Delete
  4. It's the hardest thing ever... My heart breaks for your loss. Hugs and do fell better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you're feeling better. It's not fun to be sick but at least you got to do a little research. Love the picture of Leah as a baby, so cute. Her sire is gorgeous.

    It's not hard to see that Shadow was a special guy and part of the family. He will be missed but never forgotten. Your memories of him will keep him alive in your hearts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. No, he will never be forgotten. You've been through this twice this year, and I know you can sympathize. Good horses become a part of the fabric of our lives--and our family's lives. And that lasts forever.

      Delete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.