Tuesday, August 23, 2016

T-Bone Exercise From the Ground (Video)



From this morning's entry:

This morning I went out and did the T-Bone from the ground. Leah was awful. She can't stand looking at the fence. It makes her feel trapped. She ran into it, reared, backed up--pretty much anything to avoid standing looking at it. But eventually she stood, and then stood again, and again. We were able to end on a good note. But WOW! What is it about looking at the fence head on? And man, am I happy she did all that Sh#@ from the ground, rather than when I was in the saddle.


I was supposed to have a lesson with Leah after work, but my trainer, one of the three R's--Rebecca--canceled due to the poor air quality. (There are fires burning all around Spokane).

I groomed and massaged Leah, and then I took her out to see how she did at the T-Bone exercise from the ground.

Now, remember, this morning she was rearing up, backing, running/bolting to the side and just plain trying to run through the panels.  It was NUTS.

But tonight....this video is what I got, and that's her BAD side.  I didn't tape her good side.

A little about what's going on:

I'm gently pulling the lead rope to ask her to move in a circle, BUT as she rounds toward the fence, I give her NO input.  No input SHOULD mean STOP and wait for input.  Usually, for Leah, it means run faster forward, no one's at the wheel, DANGER.

Not tonight.

This is not a perfect example of what she should have done.  Once she stopped getting the input, she should have stopped about a horse length's away from the fence.  She did do that the other way, but not on this side.  Still, I was THRILLED with this compared to what happened this morning.  THRILLED.

It looks so simple, doesn't it? >>Sigh<< I hope this means we can get past the left side BOLT/SCOOT issue.  I have a call into a chiropractor, and I'm also going to call my vet about getting her teeth done.

12 comments:

  1. You are getting there. It takes a while for an engrained response to change to a different one. I love your patience with her- it will pay off in the long run in ways that you can't even anticipate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did awesome in this exercise. Went out again today and did it from the ground in saddle, and she did awesome again. :)

      Delete
  2. nice bLog! its interesting. thank you for sharing.... Castlebrook Barns

    ReplyDelete
  3. It could well be a vision thing, as you know horses can't see directly in front of them and if hr neck is out it may be that things jump out at her when she views them on her left side. Like -nothing is there and then all of a sudden something is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made an appointment to have her teeth done tomorrow. Well, it's not confirmed yet, but hopefully. I felt in her left jaw and there were some sharp points. I massaged that jaw and she just dropped her head and relaxed into it. I think I may have found one of the issues. In saddle today, she braced hard whenever I tugged on that side of her mouth--no matter how gentle. So, I'm pretty convinced that is it.

      Delete
  4. I don't know what to make of Leah, because sometimes she seems to do so well for you and other times not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I'm thinking it HAS to be pain. The lack of stopping and waiting on the ground didn't have anything to do with pain, but the bracing to the right sure seems to. I guess we have multiple issues here and it's time to start sorting each out. :)

      Delete
  5. Whoohoo!! I would be thrilled too - pretty darned awesome!! Perfection is highly overrated and almost always impossible, so get over it. She looks quiet, stopped at the fence, even looked at it, then over at you for your reaction/direction. :) She's trying so hard to understand what you're asking, I'd be proud of her try. I've often wondered if these little exercises can be so difficult because the horse just doesn't understand "why" - why does my human want me to do this stuff??? Me and Eags are struggling with arena work too, in fact I've ridden very little in the last several weeks for various reasons, but I'm tired of fighting, so I'm not going to do it. I'm going to try and get in some trail rides, and focus on getting with my horse, just putting miles and time together, hopefully relaxing and having fun instead of always "working" on so many things, because when I think about it, the more I work at "things" with my horse, the more I seem to find fault with what/how he does things, and that needs to stop. He's amazing, and I'm going to like Joe says, "get with your horse so he can get with you, then we get together". Maybe by focusing on what they do right, and how hard they try, will build appreciation and acceptance, which feels good to them. Just some thoughts. You two are doing great I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. I don't like tinkering too much either, but she was awful on the trail, too. She was veering off to the left and every time I worked her and returned her to the trail, she'd veer off again. There was just no stopping her until we penned her in with another horse on that side. So, I think I may have several issues going on. 1. Teeth 2.Chiropractor 3. Basic trail training. But I can't really accomplish #3 well unless I can get a handle on #1 and #2. She is very sweet, smart, and brave in so many ways. These issues have just sprung up and I hope to you know where they go away soon! That's a great quote about getting with the horse. I spent this morning on the ground lunging Leah in varying circles all over the arena as I walked alongside her and we wove in and out together in a sort of rhythm. She liked it. I liked it. We were together until I bridled her and pulled on that right side. I got off and felt up there and she had sharp points. So, we'll see what happens when I get those taken care of.

      Delete
  6. You are making progress. And its good that you aren't rushing or forcing things. I am convinced that she will be a really good partner for you -- but its taking some time; which is okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I couldn't rush or force it even if I wanted to. She has put a literal brick wall up, I think because of pain, and I hope we can get over it--whatever it is. Teeth, chiropractor...one step at a time until we figure out this problem. When my vet does her teeth tomorrow, I'll have her assess for pain, too.

      Delete
  7. I think she's trying to understand what you want and will figure it out eventually. It could very well be pain that's troubling her. You'll know soon enough. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.