Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Resurrected Cat, Fresh Hay & Hackamores, Waverunning, A Hand-Made Knife & Donald Trump Vs The Elites

Leah's training continues, despite the mystery "pain" which seems to get better with work.   Rebecca  has rode her twice this week.  She starts her out on the ground with side reins to help her build up muscle, balance and flexibility.  She has also been riding her with a nose band.

After a little work, she rewards Leah with an easy ride, one day it was with this Arab S Hackamore which Leah loved, and the last ride was with no bridle at all--completely free except a rope around her lower neck. Leah like that, too.



When not on horseback, I have found a new love, Seahorse One.  That is the name of my waverunner.  My husband and I took the plunge and bought a couple of them.  I am in LOVE.  I've been able to fly with a bald eagle and an osprey.  So far we've taken them to Long Lake--20 miles up and 20 miles back--and Lake Coeur d'Alene, but we have lots of future plans and dreams.  This weekend we're renting a cabin on the lake with our kids--it'll be a blast.


My farrier makes his own knives and I've ALWAYS wanted.  Finally got my wish.  This is high-carbon, low-carbon hand-forged Damascus steel, 120 layers forged over and lapped together.  The wood is Spalted Tamarind.  He'll also sharpen it for me whenever he comes around!



 This is a small, but STRONG knife.  The perfect size for my pocket.


My daughter had Rebecca put a couple of rides on her horse, Cowgirl.  Cowgirl is the alpha mare of our herd and, truthfully, she is the leader. Because of her, Red is still alive and 2nd in command at the ripe old age of 36.  What she says, goes.  She is a foundation Quarter Horse.  Shiloh purchased her as a yearling and she's 11 now.  Smart. Athletic. Brave.  Almost the perfect horse. My daughter's very lucky.


We had some of our hay delivered last Saturday.  Always a treat.  We put away 10 tons of alfalfa/grass and 35 round bales of Timothy for the winter.

A very scary thing happened though.  I was out working with Rebecca and Leah when the hay arrived and my husband and the crew unloaded it.  I had forgotten to try to find our feral female cat and her brother, Tuffy.  Their mother had them in our barn about 6 years ago and Tuffy is my heart-cat!  When they were done and I went in the barn to see the hay, I realized they'd stacked the bales tight and cut off escape routes for the cats.  Typical me, I freaked out and started pushing all of the upper hay bales off until I could uncover the sides of the barn.

I found Tuffy, but I'm not sure if he was in the hay or outside of the barn when they stacked it.  I could  NOT find his sister.  For two days I went out all throughout the day, calling and calling and calling and looking and looking, but no luck.  I felt SICK.

Finally, yesterday afternoon, I just stopped and prayed that God would either show me she was alive or show me she was dead so that I could move on. I went into the house and back out an hour later, called for her, and OMG, she emerged from the back of the hay!  My husband was with me then, and we were both SO HAPPY we hugged each other for joy.  All that for a cat, you may wonder.  But it's about LIFE and the fragility of it.  To take away a life is no small thing.  To celebrate life is no small thing either.  I feel blessed.


 And last, we were at the County Fair and ran into Donald J. Trump.  Well, a cut-out of Trump anyway.  I was a Rand Paul supporter and always will be, but when he bowed out, I decided I wanted to send a fighter to Washington.  I'm sick of nation-building and out-of-control globalism.  I'm sick of loving your country and wanting to keep its nose out of other country's business getting the bad name of "racism" via "nationalism".  I'm a foreign policy realist, and so is Rand Paul.  Trump leans there, too.  Like Trump said, if politicians had done NOTHING for the last 16 years except go on vacation, we'd be better off today than we are.

I have been a proponent of securing our southern border since 9/11--not because of Mexicans who come across to work, but because of the potential for terrorists to get across.  I lived in California much of my life, so I'm well aware the labor has been an agriculture/business necessity.  There has also been abuse of undocumented workers and since no one knows they're here, no one can defend them.  We need a better system for ALL involved.  Something humane.  Unlike some Trump supporters, I would like to see a path to citizenship after we've secured/enforced our border.

Mexican Americans.  Black Americans. White Americans.  We're all Americans.  I would LOVE to see a truly UNITED, color-blind America in my lifetime.




I read a Foreign Policy Mag article this morning by James Traub, "It's Time for the Elites to Rise Up Against the Ignorant Masses"  --yes, you can vomit now.  If this election has done NOTHING else, it has exposed the extent to which we've handed over our country to the so-called "elites" and forfeited our own rights and duties as citizens.

13 comments:

  1. It's interesting that Leah likes bitless- and it's going to be interesting to see what your dentist finds.
    That is a seriously beautiful knife!
    While no politician is perfect, as a Canadian I am hoping the Trump gets in. Your country and my country have kissed Liberal butt way too much in the last few decades, and yes, the elitists are nauseating. The deliberate dumbing down of the masses to more easily control them, instead of helping them rise above ignorance and poverty is inexcusable. Our currrent Prime Minister has absolutely no clue..... sigh....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tomorrow's the big day for dentistry! Can't wait. Although, after riding her today and seeing that her difficulty seemed to be in engaging the hind for long periods of time, who knows! Next Thursday is Chiro. The wheels of the engine move slow around here.

      Love your ideas on Trump and the elites! IMO, your PM seems more like a movie star than a

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this post yesterday, but go pulled away and never got to comment. I'm glad you got your kitty back from the abyss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So are we! We've lost cats to coyotes before, but never human error. The two barn cats are survivors!

      Delete
  4. Glad you found the kitties safe and sound. Love all your hay, it's a good feeling to have a stash of hay put by before Winter. Pretty knife too, I'm never without one on the farm. Cowgirl is gorgeous, she reminds me of Dusty a little. I'm sure she'll love getting out and having some nice rides. Wave runners are a lot of fun. my daughter's family has two and they love them. Leah seems to have found things to like about her rides and her new halter and no halter. Maybe she just needs to switch things up now and again to keep her interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Cowgirl is so pretty to watch in action. That's a real compliment to compare her to Dusty. She is that one of a kind, golden horse--in heart, work ethic and color. LOL. Wish she was mine sometimes. Yes, Leah does like having it switched up. She seems happy when I go to get her now. There has been a big attitude change. When she's going good, I may ride the trails in that hackamore.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is a busy post! Lucky you with those waverunners - how fun!!! Very exciting that maybe you've found something that Leah will work well in. For years and years that's all my hubby and I rode our mares in. We've learned now how severe they can be, but if you ride with soft hands, many horses enjoy no metal in their mouths. Big surprise huh? So, you know my issues with Eagle. Last night I rode him in the sidepull. No rooting! BUt...he still tries to argue and it takes a lot of muscle to turn him when he's wanting to go a different direction. No easy answers. However, I may just have to try him in a hackamore and see how he does. I'll keep looking until we get it right. I do not trust him on the trails yet with a sidepull. I need more "bite" than it affords right now. I actually have never seen an S style hackamore like that - do they have more leverage than the straight shanks?

    Hope you have so much fun at the lake with your kids. How exciting!! And I'm totally jealous... I only have 3 days vaca left, so we're limited as to what or where we can go, but we are going to do something! I NEED my time off! :)

    Glad you found your kitty. Rejoicing over that little life is a reason to celebrate! I love people who have soft hearts...our world needs more people like you and your hubby. Life is precious indeed. :)

    Gorgeous hay too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't own a side pull, but I'd love to try Leah in one. I'm not sure about the difference in hackamores. It was my trainers. I can ask her next time I see her. I've never used one before. That's interesting that Eags liked bitless, too. You'll find the right fit.

      It's not the best weather for the lake today, rainy, but it'll be fun just looking at the water. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and 72 degrees. That'll be nice.

      Kitties always give me a heart attack around here! The two in the barn are proven survivors. Their mama taught them well. She was sick when I adopted her and she never could get fully better. After she had them, and they were full grown, she disappeared--I think by coyote. Since then, we've fenced in the whole place to keep coyotes out--and she trained her young ones well.

      Delete
  7. Almost forgot! Cowgirl is a beautiful blonde!! What a dream to have a nicely trained, all-around horse to ride. :) But, please tell me that our horses who are forcing us to work so hard, are really teaching us bunches!!! Hope springs eternal, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes, that's true. Cowgirl is one of the easy ones, but there is a lot to be said for working hard and building a relationship with your horse!

      Delete
  8. I love your damascus steel knife! My youngest son started forging & selling knives 2 years ago. He has a freestanding blacksmith shop on the property. I like all the things I've learned since he started (he is now 16).

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.