Friday, July 8, 2016

I'm a Lover, Not a Fighter




No philosophy today, just the facts.  Books are great, but they're no substitute for getting out on your horse and developing that unique one-to-one relationship, which sometimes defies logic.

Fact:

Yesterday I got a ride in with my favorite cowboy.


He kind of looks like a badass in this picture, because he is.  A few years back we were on a date night in the downtown and a very large, drunk man lunged at us from the shadows as we were walking along the sidewalk to a bookstore.  I was scared to death and prepared to run, but my husband lunged forward at him and told him to the "Get the "F" away" and the drunk guy backed right down.  Later, when we left the bookstore, the drunk guy saw us coming and walked across the opposite street to avoid my husband.  Guess you could say I feel safe with him.

He gets things done with the horses, too.  He's the one doing all the heavy lifting around here.  The horses gravitate to him.  They know a good leader when they see one.  My husband is the definition of disciplined, and he tries to teach that trait to others.


Me, not so much.  I like to ride horses, play my guitar, pet horses, play my piano, read about horses, plant some flowers.  You could say I'm laid back, and  you'd be right.  So, I'm thankful to have a disciplined husband to balance me out.

I'm a lover, not a fighter.

Case in point:

On our ride yesterday, we came to a large log in the trail.  Cowboy balked and would not cross over it.  I didn't fight him.  At this point in our long relationship, Cowboy and I have a truce.  So, I let my husband lead the way over the log, then Cowboy followed, and he jumped it rather than walking over it.  Okay, Cowboy, whatever you want.  

I'm in this for the love.

12 comments:

  1. Did the drunk guy have a long, red ponytail? If so, that would have been my brother. But he's not very large. He's just permanently drunk. I love the pictures. I miss riding in the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol!!! I don't think so. ;) If you ever visit up here I will take you on a ride. I have a great trusty horse for you.

      Delete
    2. That sounds like an enticing incentive. It's tough for me to get out and travel. Trying to find dog/horse/house sitters is easier said than done. Usually, my daughter does it all, but she also lets her friends and boyfriend stay over at our place and usually is so distracted by them that she forgets to give Midge her insulin. So, I don't travel much. But thanks for the offer. Circumstances may bring me up there someday.

      Delete
  2. I like your approach to life. I used to be driven but now I just want to hang out with the horses and garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very disciplined though in your caretaking, culinary & everything else.

      Delete
  3. I'm probably more like your husband. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably the friend everyone wants around when walking at night in the city!

      Delete
  4. I'm more like you. I used to be disciplined and gung ho but now...not so much. I still love to ride but I like being in the company of the horses more right now. Maybe it's because we're all older now that we enjoy our peaceful times together. Your husband sounds very much like mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think age has taught us to choose our fights wisely and sparingly and to fill our quiet moments with things that feed our souls. As much as possible anyway. Personally, I know I'm much more attentive now and appreciative.

      Delete
  5. In these days of 'independence' & 'strong women', I remain one of the few remaining old fashioned gals who is quite happy to let defined gender roles remain at the forefront in our home.
    Mr Shoes is an everyday hero (in his career) & a proven authority figure with n'er-do-wells, violent a-holes, & fools of all nature; I've always felt safe with him.
    He also has a 'James Earl Jones' voice that scares the hell out of people that need to be scared, but can also charm the birds from the trees when he turns on the sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty area to ride, love the trees! Like others who posted before me, my soulmate is more or less the opposite of me. We do have similar interests, but with different approaches. My hubby & I also balance each other out. It's a beautiful thing. Glad you had such a great ride with your favorite cowboy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE that picture of you and Cowboy! You need to frame that one...you look so very happy. Makes me smile...as far as badasses go, that's exactly how I like my guys. My hubby is pretty easy-going, but do not mess with him - he will rise to the occasion. I've always felt safe when he's around, and I like that just fine. I am not a gung-ho sort, but very laid back like you. Petting horses, taking pictures, riding my horse, reading, listening to my music, taking long walks with my dogs and planting pretty flowers suits me just fine. Life is too busy to suit me much of the time, and I enjoy free time all too much. Your riding area looks so very much like our central oregon, which is where we'd really like to move to. Just cannot quite make that decision yet, and not really sure why? I envision a much more active lifestyle, more outdoor activities and less time spent at an outside job. So why not??? If only I knew...
    So happy you got to enjoy a ride with your "badass cowboy"! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.