Friday, May 13, 2016

Two Irish Wolfhounds Are Better Than One


Irish Wolfhounds aren't for everyone, but my husband and I are ALL IN with the wolfhounds.  One is better than none, two is better than one, and 10 would be heaven.  Really, heaven, for me, has to have Irish Wolfhounds and horses.

As you all know, I grew up with an IW, Mish of Ballykelly, from the time I was a baby.  She was one of the lucky ones who lived to be 10 years old, so I was about 12 when she passed.  As far as I was concerned, the only dogs to have were Irish Wolfhounds.

I wasn't sure my husband was an IW person though, so I waited to get another one until six years ago.  Turns out, he loves them, too, and now we've decided to never be without a wolfhound.


I introduced you to Loki in another post, and told you that we were going to go meet him before we committed.


He was in Walla Walla, WA with his breeder.  Turns out, we were going to Walla Walla anyway for the Spring Barrel Wine Release, so we chose that day to hang out with Loki.


(Mike and Loki at the breeder's home.  I believe that's his mama in the background.)


Yesterday, the breeder drove up and met us at a park for the first introduction of Riagan and Loki--neutral ground.  It worked out wonderfully.  After the park, she drove him to our house and hung out for a bit, then left for a few hours to the hotel near our house.  He cried a little bit and looked for her.  At 6:00, she came back for dinner and hung out again, and then left for the night.  Loki slept in our bedroom and was really, really good.  This morning, LeeAnn, his breeder, came to breakfast for one last goodbye.




He has a wonderful temperament, just like a Wolfhound should have.  He'll be two years old on Saturday, and he still has that puppyish personality.  The friend who arranged all of this, Janey, was at dinner last night, too, and brought over a bag of squeaky toys.  Loki played and played with them--like a happy 2 year old.  So, he's got the puppy spirit without the chewing and accidents in the house.  Win-Win for us!

We already love him.  He fit right in and it seems, strangely, as if he's always been here.

17 comments:

  1. Definitely a Win-Win. He's gorgeous. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I should always get 2 year olds! LOL.

      Delete
  2. Loki is one handsome guy! Congratulations on the new addition to your family. I know he's found a loving forever home and will be very happy with his new family. I like Irish Wolfhounds too, so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. He seems to like the new place. His last owner didn't have land to run on, and she had to take him to doggy daycare every day and some weekends, I guess. So, he'll have more room to roam and a big dog family.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your new family member! And I must say you look very elegant in that first shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Yeah, my hair was doing some kind of natural bu-font. That's what you get when you hang out with your dogs all day, I guess.

      Delete
  4. OH he's beautiful! I do love IW. Maybe someday....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never had the chance to make the acquaintance of a Wolfhound, but I always admired the way they move.They are one of the few big breeds that I think are pretty cool. It's strange that the big breeds don't live as long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the down side. The average age really is 6.5 years. Riagan is already 6, but hasn't had any health issues. Fingers crossed. I do think they are very serious and deeply committed breed, so when an owner can't be with them, they take it doubly hard. They really need, for their health, less stress and more interaction with their family/owners.

      Delete
  6. Has it really been 6 years already? Wow, how the time flies. Congratulations on your new addition. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrea. Yea, I can't believe it has been 6 years either. I'm starting to sound like an old person. Time is slipping by so fast.

      Delete
  7. Has it really been 6 years already? Wow, how the time flies. Congratulations on your new addition. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A handsome addition to the family - Lucky Loki!
    Our Minnow was 1.5 yrs (adopted from a shelter) & Manic (given to us) was about 6 months when we got her & they were both already potty trained. I didn't mind skipping the house-training at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never adopted an older dog, so this is new to me. There are definitely perks, and they also seem so grateful for a home they can count on.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations! He's a very handsome guy ~ who will have a wonderful home :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.