Monday, May 2, 2016

Halfway to a Hundred!

As long as we are persistent in our pursuit of our deepest destiny, we will continue to grow. We cannot choose the day or time when we will fully bloom. It happens in its own time. 


Denis Waitley

Leah, peaking into my dream trailer--my instructor's new ride!


Who would have thought getting to 100 days of working with horses, however small, would be so difficult.  When my kids were growing up, I always told them that the people who are really good at things are the people who stick to it, kind of like the tortoise and the hare.  I'm definitely the tortoise, the "race" is a true partnership with Leah, and the race is still on.

But getting to 50 Days is something to celebrate!  

Last week, day 47, I had another trotting lesson with Leah, and it went much better than the previous (video) one.  We worked on being able to turn her with just a squeeze of the fist on the rein.  

Day 48, I worked with a trainer who rode Leah for me at the lope.  She also evaluated her for me and told me what I need to work on.  

Day 49, I met the same rider/trainer and she worked again with Leah on the lope, but my instructor, Regina, was also there, and we all talked about where Leah was at and what we need to do.

Basically, Leah was decent at the lope and good with her whoa, but needs more work on being able to bend on the line, but still keep the same line.  

Day 50 was today at home.  Since I had to go to work, my ride was early, but it was a beautiful morning, and I didn't want to miss out.  

One of the things we worked on was side-passing.  It was i-n-t-e-r-e-s-t-i-n-g.  When I asked her to take one step over, she took maybe five.  So, I dismounted and worked on it from the ground.  I had her place her front feet over a pole, and then side-pass along the line over the pole.  The pole worried her, but it was good practice.

I also had to work on getting her to stand still when mounting.  She started moving away a couple of weeks ago, and did it for the rider/trainer, too.  It appears she likes that little delay before every ride.  I'm hoping, with time, she'll give that up if I'm consistent.

The ride itself was far from perfect.  She was tuned into the herd, but I worked hard at keeping her on the circle with the outside rein, and she finally complied.  We did better at the walk than the trot.

It was an easy ride because I didn't want her to get too hot with so little time to cool her off before I had to get ready.  Maybe an easy ride now and then is a good thing.

In truth, I would rather that our 50th ride had been better, so that I could sit here and write about how wonderful it was and how hard work really pays off.  Instead, I'm trying to talk myself out of discouragement, if you couldn't tell.

I guess you've gotta have the faith.

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on being halfway to your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So halfway is something to celebrate- I admire your persistence. Also, the good part is that you are refining gaits and her attention. The third thing is that even though she over reacted but in a good way- she was trying to do what you wanted. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky that she's not a dangerous horse. She is pretty easy going for the most part. I haven't landed on my head yet, in any case. Thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete
  3. It all takes time and 50 days are behind you now- and the hardest part. Keep motivated, it'll get better from here! Take a look back at the first week.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. I should look back to the first week in the archives. I think we started last September. Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  4. I think you're progressing marvellously!

    I never thought about using a pole to sidepass over - what a good idea. My gelding is, of course, perfect, but Mr Shoes' mare could use a little practice.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have a perfect horse. Cherish it!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on your half way mark! That's a big accomplishment. (I've come yo the conclusion I'll never make it) even though you weren't that pleased with your side pass work I'm sure Leah learned something from it. Any work towards a goal is good work in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, any little bit is better than nothing. Spring and summer will give me more and more opportunities to work with her. You may get to the 100, too. Winter almost doesn't count. ;)

      Delete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.