Thursday, March 3, 2016

Our Elder Equine Ambassadors


 By the time you're 80 years old you've learned everything.  You only have to remember it.  

George Burns

My first horse was not an old one, even though I wish it had been, but I have had the gift of raising an elder horse now.  Old Red is 35-36, which is the equivalent of 106-108 human years.

With some extra TLC, he is going strong and is still #2 in our herd of 8.  He gives the grand-kids, nieces and nephews their first rides, and he instructs the younger horses on how to be calm and smart.  He's the glue that holds our herd together, which is why, I think, he is still alive.

Purpose.


I have seen so many wonderful things.  Last night, when I got home from work, he and Cowboy were out nipping and playing with each other, heads bobbing, front feet striking the ground playfully--even chasing each other.  

I've seen the mare herd surrounding Red in the dark and walking him to his stall.  I've seen the mares lie around him when he sleeps. They protect and love him more deeply than I would have ever imagined possible.


This morning, before coming to work, my sweet nephew got a ride on Old Red.  (Pictured above)  Then I worked on approaching Beautiful Girl and Leah without them moving away or putting their heads in the air.

I used TREATS!

I spent about fifteen minutes going back and forth, approaching and withdrawing--scratching their withers and giving them their goodies.  By the end of it, they were following me up and down the fence line.

That's the kind of eagerness I'm looking for.

I'll be gone for a little bit, but I will catch up on all your blogs as soon as I get back!

Happy Trails, everyone.  And, give those Senior Equine buddies an extra hug from me.


5 comments:

  1. Old Red is a very special horse. I love how the mares sleep around him. He seems like a sweet and wise soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The elder ones are indeed special.

    Ranger says "Hay".

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red sure doesn't look his age. What a wonderful horse. I love the picture of him sleeping surrounded by the mares.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is indeed a treasure. You have wonderful herd dynamics.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.