Monday, March 28, 2016

March Musings

"I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted." 
 Anonymous



March has been hit and miss for me with my horses, but I'm at a time in life where I don't really care.  I'm still keeping track of my 100 Day Challenge, but I'm not concerned how fast I get there.  I'm enjoying the ride!

I've had to cancel a couple of Leah lessons because the conditions have been wintry--windy and snow/rain mix--and I don't like to trailer a horse who already has issues being in the trailer alone, in bad conditions.  I'm blessed to have a trainer who gets this.  

We had new neighbors move in two houses down who are going to fix up the old Dairy and start boarding horses there.  Years back, a friend and I cleaned up one of the big outbuildings on the Dairy to make it an indoor arena.  The new owners are going to build on that work and open up the arena for the public.  They're even willing to make gates from our place to theirs.  I'm really excited about the possibilities.  They're very kind-hearted people.

I did get out on my first ride with friends last week.  The horses were fresh--mostly Cowboy, that is.  He was jigging for the first five minutes.  We rode at James T Slavin Conservation Area.  The area in the trees was wet and slick, but the ground exposed to sun was dry and stable.  It was a great ride.

Cowboy has started a new thing this year where he does not want to go back to the trailer.  He insists--or implores--me to keep going.  He'll try to lead me to trails that lead away or past the trailer.  He loves that time together, as do I.  He is my heart horse through and through, and I owe him big time for the last 13 years he has blessed my life.




10 comments:

  1. Hi!!

    I just wanted to let you know that I have been a reader for a while and wanted to tell you that I love your blog! It motivates me to work harder with my horses, and it is a absolute joy to read. Thank you for writing good, quality posts, as well as keeping them enjoyable and fun.

    ~Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alyssa. Thanks for your encouragement! I'm glad you took a moment to say hi. Don't be a stranger! Happy Trails!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Cowboy is a very special horse. Most horses would want to get in the trailer and go home. That he wants to stay with you and have more trail time is very sweet. The new neighbors sound wonderful. It sounds like you will have an indoor to use close by very soon. That will be nice in snowy,windy,rainy weather in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hasn't always been like this with Cowboy, but I guess we've become old friends now. :) Yes, an indoor space will really help me next winter. I'm excited.

      Delete
  4. Very lucky indeed; an indoor is one thing I believe you've said you wished for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has been on my wishlist. More for my backyard, but this will be almost in my backyard.

      Delete
  5. That's awesome that you will have an indoor so close! You will get lots more winter riding in. Beamer is like Cowboy- he just wants to stay out and enjoy the ride. He slows right down coming home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's even a better sign when they can see home and go slow. The trailer isn't nearly as tempting, I think, but still, it's a sweet development. I don't have good riding directly from my house. Wish I did.

      Delete
  6. I no longer ride, but am thoroughly enjoying your blog and beautiful horses! Mustangs have always held a special place in my heart also - making your blog extra special :-) Your photos are beautiful ~ thanks for riding & sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you stop by the blog and take the time to comment, too. You must love horses very much. <3 Even though you don't ride now, I'd love to hear your input.

      Delete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.