Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Winter 2015-2016

It's too slick to haul, and I can't tell you how I miss my lessons with Leah.  At times like this, I daydream about building an indoor arena.  If only $200,000 would fall from the sky with a note attached saying, "Spend this free money on an indoor riding arena."   An old friend of mine, who I still follow on Facebook, has her own indoor arena.  She shares videos and pictures of her family riding in it almost every day.  I think she is a blessed woman.

I downloaded some of my holiday pictures and videos to share, since I don't have anything horse related.  

First, making chocolate covered cherries with my two sons.  I gained 6 pounds over the holidays.  I'd like to blame it on our family's long-cherished recipe for this confection.  My boys, who have a house together, are hell-bent on learning all the family recipes so they can make it themselves.  They did a great job.




These are our kitty bro's, Jack and Dan.  They've been a real pleasure to raise this winter.  Their antics have kept us entertained.  And, now that all our kids are raised and out of the house, it's nice having babies around again...even if they are of the feline kind.


We've had a couple feet of snow.  This shot shows how weighed down the branches are getting.


A sunset in front of our house.  There was a little fog hovering around.


My husband and I have been snow shoeing at our neighborhood Palisades Park.  I really love winter.  Everyone complains a lot about the snow, but besides not being able to ride (which an indoor arena would solve) I love it!!




I also love marmalade.  In the past, I have ordered the Tawny Tiptree from the UK, but my step-daughter and I decided to make it ourselves over the New Year's holiday.  We had a simple recipe and used Cara Cara oranges (rather than Seville), but it turned out perfect!



Christmas morning, my husband and I found ourselves with nothing pressing to do, so I suggested we grab the tripod and a couple of our horses and take a Christmas shot in our back pasture.  I shared one of the photos earlier, but these are here are some solo shots with Cowboy and Leah.  You can't take a bad shot against the snow & pine & basalt outcroppings.








After the photo shoot, I let Red out...Old Red who is 35...and he went running through the pasture, which stirred up the rest of the herd.  I took my phone out and got the video.  I don't have it on this computer, so I'll have to upload it here tomorrow.


My husband took a picture of me getting the video.  Cowboy kept sneaking up to me.  That's my boy.


And last, here is our Irish Wolfhound Riagan.  She'll be 6 this spring.


Here's to snow, the dream of indoor arenas (which, for me, will always be a dream), and future rides in 2016.

Happy New Year, everyone.


12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos, as always. Nice to see your boys wanting to carry on family traditions; my daughter & I make something covered in chocolate every Christmas (this year it was truffles).
    Love the snow & horsey shots - nothing is quite a stirring to me as horses dashing through snow.
    My little band usually makes their way right around to the front of the property to graze in the daytime, but starting about 3:30 I keep a close eye on the pass where I can see them heading in for lunchtime @ 4pm. Occasionally I beat them to the feeders when they are not paying so much attention - I just LOVE to call them in & stand back as they come pounding through the fields, around the bend, manes blowing & tails all flagging, & then pulling up short, all steamy snorts, shaking heads, & flicking hooves.
    Sometimes I try to get photos, but given that most of my good photos are flukes anyways, mostly I just stand quietly & just revel in the sight & sounds of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, horses dashing through the snow cannot be beat. They are surprisingly good at navigating through it, although I do worry.

      Delete
  2. I can relate to so much of this post! -- indoor arena dreaming, loving winter, gaining weight over the holidays. That shot of the sunset is gorgeous! And the shots of you with the horses as well. They look nice and fluffy (like ours) and clean (unlike ours who are caked in mud). Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow helps them to stay fluffy and clean, but when it melts...watch out! Not pretty. Here's to 2016--losing our extra holiday pounds and riding our horses!

      Delete
  3. Love the photos - you all look great! Wow, you do have lots of snow. We rarely get that much. But, day after Christmas we had a dusting which made everything look lovely, and last Sunday we had over an inch! Impressed?? We were, and then we had freezing rain on top of the snow resulting in no driving anywhere Monday morning. Always love an excuse to get back to work late. Happy New Year to you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had some freezing rain/fog, too--dangerous stuff! It's nice you got your Christmas snow. Sound like just enough to set the mood. Happy 2016! Stay safe on those roads.

      Delete
  4. I too dream of an indoor arena. sigh. maybe some day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't even need a big one. Just a small thing will do--with lots of natural light. Maybe it wouldn't be as expensive as I think.

      Delete
  5. Your boys are so handsome I'm sure the ladies will love to know they are carrying on family traditions with chocolate covered cherries! They are my absolute favorite.

    Love all the pictures of the snow and the herd with you. I happen to like winter too. We haven't had much snow yet but we did get the freezing temps this week. Keep having fun in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the boys know cooking is a girl magnet. They asked me to take those pictures for their Instagram accounts. They wanted to make sure it showed their manly arms off just right. haha. Stay warm out your way!

      Delete
  6. I love to see horses playing in the snow! Your horses are looking great. You got way more snow than we do even though we are north of you; I think we have less than 6 inches on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. We did get a lot. We're not breaking any records yet, but we're doing pretty good. I hope it cuts down on drought and wildfires.

      Delete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.