Monday, January 25, 2016

Penny Has a Nasty Head Wound



I looked out the window this morning and saw this.  Yuck.

But, not to sound like a broken record, I had the 100 Day Challenge!

Day 7 and 8.

Yesterday was the 7th day, and I worked with both Beautiful and Leah.  Beautiful stood tied in the barn while I worked with Leah outside the barn.  It was slick, but the sun was out, and it seemed warm at 39 degrees.  

After Leah, I worked with Beautiful on walk, trot and whoa...and directing her feet to the cone, as I'd also done with Leah.

Beautiful actually did better than Leah, believe it or not.  She really wanted to tune into me and get it right.  She just didn't know what I was asking her to do.  Once she got it, she did it fast.  She has been separated from the herd for about two months, and it has brought us much closer together.  


Leah had a lot of energy to release, but once she slowed down, she was able to think about touching the cone.




Today, the 8th day, I got to doctor a wound on Penny, and then I worked Beautiful again on the cone.  

The wound took most of my morning...it had been stuck together with crusty blood and I had to soak it with warm water and then rinse it out with warm water.  We noticed the cut on Saturday, but it looked like it was healing.  Then, on Sunday, I saw that it was swelling and, when I pushed on  it, a little pus/blood came out.  My husband looked at it and thought it was fine, but today I went out there and it was still a little swollen and oozy, thus the soaking and flushing.

This is what was exposed.




After it was clean, I sprayed Scarlex on it and put her away in a stall because I had to go to work.  I have an appointment with my vet tomorrow at 12.  It's most likely too late to stitch it (sadly), but she can flush it out and put her on antibiotics.  I texted her a picture of the wound, and she said it was better than she thought it would be after my description on the phone.  

I've had experience with head wounds, and I know they heal fast.  My same vet worked on a real nasty one two years ago when Shadow got kicked by another horse and it went through his nasal cavity.  That was awful because of the germs involved from the nasal cavity, but it still healed up fast.

Rain, shine, or fog, there is never a dull moment out at the barn.

15 comments:

  1. The bridge of my nose hurt just LOOKING at the picture. I wish you both good luck!

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bill. It looked a lot better when I went out after work. Heading to the vet today.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes, it is. Horses are good at finding, and making, trouble.

      Delete
  3. Ouch! Poor Penny. Hope she heals quickly.

    Good for you for getting out there for your challenge days. Looks like you're getting some nice work done with both girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's little stuff, but a little is better than nothing, I suppose.

      Delete
  4. Poor girl! I'm sure she'll heal up well with your good care.

    Good job keeping up with the challenge! I've managed to play with Duncan every day off. Looking forward to longer days so we can play on work days too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Andrea. That will open up so much more time. Does hauling a horse to the vet count for the 100 days? Lol. I am learning something. :)

      Delete
  5. Yikes! I'm glad the vet thought it wasn't too bad. I'd be freaking out, but you sound calm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm not worried at all. She's as hungry as two horses, bright eyed and happy, so that's probably why I'm relaxed.

      Delete
  6. Looks like it's mostly a skin tear; I assume the vet will clip the hair around it so that it doesn't get into the wound.
    I might have to try the cone game- but I need to find a cone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I would have clipped it myself, but I thought that would be pushing it. It needs to be clipped though.

      The good thing about the cone game is that it can be anything. My trainer uses the same method for trailer loading and getting her horses to move anywhere they need to be. She chooses random objects to practice. :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. Isn't that the truth!? Looks like she's got a bit of proud flesh developing there. Maybe it can be trimmed up some. Poor baby...
    Your picture out your window is what we see around here, a lot. Usually accompanied by lots and lots of rain, but we were blessed by a few days (including today) of sunshine and warm temps. Today we were about 63F and I noticed bulbs starting to come up and some of the trees are beginning to
    bud. Seems a bit early to me, even for around here.

    Sounds like you're doing really well with your challenge! I've done nothing but work at the clinic, come home to stall cleaning, feeding and doctoring Ladde, then dinner prep, followed by bed. I've been so tired lately! I blame it on short daylight hours and sitting so much at the clinic. Looking forward to longer days so I can get out and do more with the horses, or something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did trim some of the dead flesh away. I asked about using Wonder Dust on it, but she said the head doesn't usually develop proud flesh.

      I cannot believe you have 63 degrees over there! We're heading to Seattle in the near future...but you have to get over the dangerous pass. I think it's too early for you to have bulbs coming up, too. We're not even to February yet. Maybe it'll be an early spring?

      Yes, here's to longer days!

      Delete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.