Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Challenge, Day 3: Horse Trailer in Snow & Mozart in the Jungle Review

Day 3 of the 100 Day Challenge.  
Leah.

If it wasn't for the 100 Day Challenge, I assure you, I would not have dug my trailer out of the snow and hauled my horse on it.  On any normal day, I'd look out there and say, It isn't happening.  But the Challenge held me accountable, and when I saw that it was going to be 34 degrees and the main roads were completely dry, I didn't feel I had a good excuse not to.

I called my friend who lives down the road to go with me for moral support, and she did. Off we went.  Turns out, the driveway from the barn to the road was the scariest part of the trip.  There was a moment my truck started to slide and get stuck, but it was able to correct in 4-wheel drive, very minor, actually.

I hadn't worked with Leah since before Christmas, so she was full of it.  Most of our lesson was on the ground, bringing down her energy.  Lunging her, alone, didn't work.  In fact, it amped her up, even though I was controlling her feet and her direction.



My instructor had me work her on a circle with the intention of lowering her speed.  I would ask her to trot out, but if her speed picked up, I would pull the rope to my belly button and release, pull and release, and so on, until I got the speed I asked for.  If she didn't pay attention, I stopped her and had her square up.  It was gentle, easy work, but it asked so, so much more of her than just trotting in a circle different directions.  At one point, she started to resist and go the opposite direction of what I was asking.  Gentle correction, and that was that.

Another activity we did was touching her nose to the cone.  When I first heard that one, I thought it was going to be easy.  I led her to the cone and parked her right in front of it.  My instructor was like, No, that's not what I'm asking.  I want you to stand about five feet away from the cone and then direct her there, without moving yourself, and have her touch her nose to it.  You have to control her feet and her speed.

At first, she blew right past the cone, so I had to turn her the other direction and bring her speed down.  When her speed picked up, I had to do the same thing I'd done on the big circle or stop her.  Eventually, I was able to hold my arm out and point at the cone and she'd quietly follow the lead, really trying to figure out where I wanted her to put her feet--even by inches.  It took a lot of direction changes, and energy adjustments on my part, to get her to that point.






Alas, we were ready to saddle up.  At first, she was more reactive than usual, so we worked again on bringing her energy down through mine.  I became lighter in the stirrups, sat back, and directed my own energy downward.  I was doing the same thing we'd been doing with the cone.  It made a big difference.


I have to throw in a review here.  If you're a music lover or current (or former) band geek--like myself--you will LOVE this series--Mozart in the Jungle.  I've been watching it for a while and was thrilled to see it won the BEST TV SERIES Musical or Comedy at the Golden Globes.  Yay!!!!   


Where else can you watch television and see drinking games that center around a flute and oboe play off?  Or, hear music jokes?  Like, How do you get a guitarist to stop playing?  Give them sheet music.  How do you get a pianist to stop playing?  Take away their sheet music!   Where else can you go to hear Mozart and Bach played throughout?  Or, see and hear a symphony practicing Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture in the ghetto?

Oh, love, love, love.  I love this show.

12 comments:

  1. Love that you got out and did your challenge. Looks like you and Leah did a lot of very nice work. The 110 day challenge is such a great idea. It was probably very rewarding to get something done when you didn't feel like it but forced yourself to do it anyway.

    Haven't seen Mozart but I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did feel good to get out and work with her. I should say, binge watching Mozart in the Jungle would also have felt good, but when I think back about the day, there is deep satisfaction and joy in the memory of working with Leah. It's like eating protein vs. sugar.

      Delete
  2. My take on this is that the lesson for you and Leah, is how to get through these times. Because you know these things/situations will happen again. Different day - different horse. And the same for you. Consistency is such a challenge! But knowing how to approach the challenge is all-empowering. Another little priceless tool for your bag! Have fun in your challenge, and with your horsemanship. I'd just love working with someone regularly, but time just seems to elude me...there's never enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, some of it seems like such detailed work--the kind of work I used to avoid--but it gets big payoffs...and it's fun. It was like a game trying to stand still and have her touch that cone from 5 feet away.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad the challenge helped you get out to work with Leah. I first heard of that show during the Golden Globes, and it sounds interesting. There were a lot of interesting shows I couldn't get because I didn't have the subscriptions, but I can watch NetFlix and Amazon Prime Videos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great show. I'm watching Season 2 now. Let me know if you watch it.

      Delete
  4. That's an interesting game. I'll have to try that with Josie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure to write about it if you do. I'm interested in what you learn through the process.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like fun! Now I want to play the cone game with my boy. Too gross here, though. I did make myself get out in the pouring rain for 10 minutes and halter my boy and bring him into the barn, though.

    I looked but I couldn't find that group on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, the weather today is disgusting. Mud. Rain. Cold! Yuck!! I had to work all day. However, I'm heading to palm Springs tomorrow and I'm renting some horse time. The Facebook page is by horseback. I said something else first. I'll try to tag you in it.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like fun! Now I want to play the cone game with my boy. Too gross here, though. I did make myself get out in the pouring rain for 10 minutes and halter my boy and bring him into the barn, though.

    I looked but I couldn't find that group on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love the smile on your face that shows how much joy you are feeling; I feel that same lightness in my heart when I'm with my horses. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.