Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Letting Go Of My Little Cowgirl

What a wild and crazy summer.  Two weeks after we got back from Norway, we hosted our daughter's wedding on our little ranch. The night before, at rehearsal, the smoke was so thick and ashy, they declared it the worst air quality since Mt. St. Helens erupted, but the day of the wedding, it miraculously cleared.  It was sunny with a high of 79.


The wedding was at sundown with the horses grazing behind the gazebo. When they were pronounced man and wife and everyone clapped, the horses galloped away into the sunset.


It was beautiful.

She was beautiful.





But I was saying good bye to my "little" girl. (Insert sobbing) The little girl who was my constant companion in life and horses.  Before the wedding, I'd be driving down the road or playing the piano and break out crying when I remembered all the times I'd saddled Old Red for her (who was Big Red in those days), then the moment she did it all herself and rode into the arena to meet me, completely independent at 11 years old.  I remembered all the chats in the barn while we groomed.  All the trail rides and the moments I'd look out the window and see her racing through farm fields on Cowgirl.


 I texted her brother the day she left on her honeymoon and said, "I've lost Shiloh."

He wrote me back and told me I was overreacting.  I'd never lose her.  She had moved ten minutes away and would always be close to me.

I sucked it up.


I won't lie.  A part of me will always be a little bit sad and wish I could go back in time and relive those days with her.  Pay more attention.  Savor it.

But I console myself with knowing she is one of the lucky ones who found someone to love and walk beside her in this world.  We've got a new son, brother and member of our family that we all adore....


 And, maybe I'll get some more grand-kids! 




13 comments:

  1. You look beautiful in the photos. You haven't lost Shiloh -- its just a new chapter. What a beautiful bride -- she looks so happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Annette! She was very happy.

      Delete
  2. Aww what a beautiful bride- interesting dress too, love the way it allows her to show off her boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, the boots are everything! She designed that dress and had Marcellas in Spokane make it. I was gasping for air when she asked to cut it down, but it was her plan and her personality. I'm posting another picture with she and her bridesmaids that I loved.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely day for you - your daughter - and your family! Love the setting, and soooo glad you like the new family member. Congratulations to the bride and groom.
    Bionic Cowgirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a lovely setting. We're homebodies, so getting to celebrate at home was perfect for us!

      Delete
  4. Such a beautiful Bride your little Cowgirl made -- hearty congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, your little girl is absolutely beautiful!!! And the momma is also a beautiful lady, lovely setting, horses galloping off into the sunset...how perfect! So happy for you all, weddings are such joyous and emotional affairs. I love it all - *sob*. And those boots!! What could be better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weddings are happy, aren't they? You can't really go wrong with them. People are there to celebrate a marriage and it brings out the best. :)

      Delete
  6. Congratulations to your little cowgirl and her new husband. Wishing them a lifetime of happiness! You're not losing her she will always be your little girl. That never changes. Lovely setting and I love that the horses galloped off at the end of the ceremony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hadn't expected the galloping off, but it was perfect. The ground thundered under our feet.

      Delete
  7. Linda where was this gazebo at??? im looking for a place in Mustang Ridge,TX for my marriage to take place it gonna be very simple and straight to the point.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.