Wednesday, January 14, 2015

When I'm An Old Horsewoman & Attention Poets





WHEN I’M AN OLD HORSEWOMAN

I shall wear turquoise and diamonds,
And a straw hat that doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my social security on red wine and carrots,
And sit in the alley-way of my barn
And listen to my horses breathe.
I will sneak out in the middle of a summer night and ride my old liver-chestnut gelding across the moonstruck meadow if my old bones will allow.
And when people come to call, I will smile and nod as I walk past the gardens to the barn and show instead the flowers growing inside stalls fresh lined with shavings.
I will shovel and sweat and wear hay in my hair as if it were a jewel.
And I will be an embarrassment to all, who have not yet found the peace in being free to have a horse as a best friend.
A friend who waits at midnight hour, with a soft velvet muzzle, a nicker and patient eyes
For the kind of woman I will be
When I am old.
Woman dies after farewell to her horse.  http:

That's the way I want to go when it's time.

4 comments:

  1. So sad and sweet at the same time. I'm glad she got to say goodbye to her horses and they to her.

    I've always loved that poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful way to go...I've always loved that poem too. I think it probably sounds like a lot of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like information about the Women and Horses anthology. Please contact me at nuzzlingmuzzles(at)gmail(dot)com. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NuzMuz--sorry I just saw this. I'll give your information to Kimberly Verhines. She's the one putting it together. She wants poems that express our lives with horses in some way. The poem above is one she included as an example. I'm looking forward to reading yours!!!

      Delete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.