Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Happiness is on Horseback


Since riding with Teresa-two-hours-is-a-short-ride cowgirl, I found I agree.  My happy place is on my horse.  When I step into the saddle it's like this whoosh of positive energy sweeps over me.  So why quit?  Why get off?  Ever.




The weather forecast for today was upper 50's and sunny, so we packed a lunch of boiled eggs, sandwiches and (unfortunately for the horses) one apple, split three ways, and took off for a six hour ride.


We got to watch Canada geese floating the rapids and honking along at each other, deer running to get clear of us, and lots of gorgeous basalt cliffs, sunshine and pine.  Happiness really is on horseback.  

My daughter left her main horse at home to try Brandie out, and all I can say is everyone needs a Brandie.  There's a lot of them out there and they make trail rides awesome!  

Cowboy is somewhat of a Brandie.  He's been my main horse for over ten years now.  He doesn't have her willingness to go wherever you point her, but he gets the job done....eventually.  He's safe and he walks out fast on trail rides.  Still, everyone needs a Brandie, if for no other reason, they teach the others what they should be doing and how they should be doing it.










I love all my horses.  They take me places I may never have gotten to otherwise.  Every day on horseback is a gift.


8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous scenery and what a good girl she is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scenery was spectacular. When you're cooped up for the winter, you sure do appreciate it more.

      Delete
  2. Wow, beautiful country. I agree, the best pace to be is on horseback and everyone heeds a Brandie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have some great horses, too! All of you do. I'm preaching to the choir!!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. My luck just ran out. I have to go back to work today. :(

      Delete
  4. I couldn't agree more! ...except for the six hour part. That's a bit long for me. I enjoy trail rides that are around two hours -- beyond that, I get really sore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't plan on going six hours, but went further than we thought we did and then had to backtrack.

      Delete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.