Saturday, February 16, 2013

Interviewing My Heroes--Julie Goodnight & Cindy Meehl

After Christmas and almost one year recording and editing shows on BTR, working sometimes 8-10 hours a day as I learned the ins-and-outs of mixing, I decided if I'm going to spend this much time on anything it really has to incorporate my passions, too--the poets, writers, musicians and horse people I love.  We had interviewed some amazing people, but I wanted to also talk to the people who've changed my life.

It's been two months and I absolutely LOVE what I've been able to do.  I get to interview my heroes! The Pulitzer winner, former US Poet Laureate, Robert Hass (love his work), the author of one of my favorite books, The End of Your Life Book Club, Will Schwalbe, and....

1. Julie Goodnight: I've been DVR'ing her show, Horse Master, almost since it began.  I love her style.  She's a common-sense woman, and she has her special way.  She's also a great communicator to riders of how they can improve.  She's been training since 1987, but I didn't find her until 2008.  The conversation was fascinating to me--especially the part about what the most dangerous horse behavior is--their kill move.


2. Jenn Grant: I fell in love with the CBC series--a horse rescue family drama, Heartland, and I blogged about it here.  The theme song to it is Dreamer, by Jenn Grant, and when I heard her voice I found out who she was and bought all her CDs.  She's well-known in Canada, but just being discovered in the States.  She writes her own music--she's spiritual and wise beyond her years--and our conversation was amazing. Last year she was nominated for a Juno-award (Canada's Grammy) and her mother was dying from cancer at the same time.  She opened up about that and her thoughts about the whole process--which was, for me, very comforting to hear.  Her show was so popular, it quickly became the highest listened to on all BTR--#1 out of 65,000 shows.  I was very happy for her and I hope everyone finds her music--it's kind of life-changing.


Coming up--an interview with my hero, Cindy Meehl--director of Buck, Buck Brannaman 7 Clinics DVDs, and now she's filming, Unbranded, four men and 18 MUSTANG horses trekking 3,000 miles from Mexico to Canada!!!  Can you believe it!?!?  I want to be Cindy in my next life!  Love her!


Also coming up, an interview with COWGIRL, Nashville singer/songwriter Templeton Thompson.  She has a song called Cowgirl Creed that I fell in love with -- and she wrote and recorded the music for Buck Brannaman's 7 Clincis DVDs.  She is a real horsewoman--loves her horses--and she writes music about them.  Her songs have also been recorded by Reba McEntire, Jo Dee Messina, and Little Texas, to name a few.  She was recording a music video with Cindy Meehl when I contacted her.  It's fun to see how one thing leads to another.


I also have an upcoming interview with another of my favorite poets, Claudia Emerson (Late Wife--my fave book ever), Sandra Bierman (my fave artist) and a few others.  I'm having a lot of fun with them.

My own horses are doing GREAT.  I got Old Red through the winter with lots of weight on him.  The other horses have thrived.  We've had a ton of ranch related issues though.  Right as the weather turned cold, the heated/automatic waterers started to short out.  The ground was frozen, so we had to turn them off and revert back to the hose and heaters--walking the hoses out to make sure they're drained and all that other fun stuff--like the old days!  We haven't been able to do much because of the ice and snow that plagued us for almost two months, but the horses didn't seem to mind.  We had snow on the ground longer than any year I can remember.  We're just now starting to see grass again--but not everywhere.

I can't wait for spring!!!

Happy Trails, horse friends!

13 comments:

  1. You have been busy! I was just reading a few of your other posts, don't know why I missed them when you posted them, but my condolences on sweet little Jasmine's passing. It's good to hear that you got Red through another winter, and I hope he does well this year.
    You've been getting some amazing people to interview! I like that you put it on your sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shirley! Hope you're doing well! That was a sad day losing Jasmine--thanks for the condolences. It's tough keeping the old ones going, but I've always said he's worth his weight in gold--and he is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you've been really busy but your time has been rewarding. Well, except for the whole water/ hose stuff. Glad to hear Red is doing well and your snow is starting to disappear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, GHM--I think all of us horse ladies are pretty busy, aren't we?

      Delete
  4. What an exciting line-up for your show! It's good to hear from you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, NuzMuz--it's good to be back and it's all because my show is finally lining up with who I am. Love it!

      Delete
  5. Wow, busy busy!! But sounds like you are loving it and getting to interview some amazing people!! Good for you.
    That's so awesome that Red is doing well and all the others! I can't wait for spring either so I can get back to some serious pony work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Paint Girl. So looking forward to spring! Lately it's felt pretty warm, too.

      Delete
  6. Great post! I loved the interview with Julie Goodnight! She is just so practical, down-to-earth and modest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kara, I'm glad you listened to it! She is very practical and I find that she makes training look so easy. I'm all about easy.

      Delete
  7. BTR... have never heard of it until I just scanned to your top side bar. Are these interviews scheduled for a certain time of day? Or can I click on them and listen anytime! Sounds so fascinating. I don't have time to check it out now, the kids are all home, etc... but please let me know. I'm bookmarking this post as well so I don't forget. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of them are in the archives now, but Cindy's is airing this Saturday at 8 am. I just finished it. She's easy to talk to--lots of animals, not just horses--29 chickens, I think she said. And has a new project she's working on. :o) I'm almost finished with the 7 Clinics DVDS....lllllooooovvvvveeeee them!!!!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I will be back to check it all out! I will most likely mention them on my blog too! Thanks.

      Delete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.