Saturday, October 13, 2012

RIP Jasmine


I don't believe anything happens unless for a reason, and so I wonder for what reason Jasmine came into my life.  Those of  you who follow the blog know that Jasmine was our little pony whose journey is largely unknown--having been picked up from auction and then passing through a few hands to mine.  All of us tried to connect with her, but she remained aloof. 

A couple  years ago I realized she had Cushings, but it didn't seem to affect her too much.  It was about that time I kind of gave up "training" her and allowed her to have free roam of our property.  Looking back, that was the best decision I could have ever made...for her and me. 

The thing about Jasmine is that she had the sweetest spirit--she wouldn't harm a fly.  She had a heart for children.  But she just didn't enjoy grown-up people.  I will never know why, but I suspect a tumor.  Last winter when I was doing TTouch with her, it really did seem to give her relief--from what?  My guess is that there was something going on in there physically.


Last spring, just a month or so after these pictures were taken from the sunroom--I'd often see her in the backyard from the sunroom windows which was a real pleasure for me--Jasmine started to go downhill a bit--eating less and drinking more and more and  more.  Still though, she was roaming around quite happily--always a feisty little pony.


But a few days ago there was a drastic turn.  She went off food and water and completely lost her sight.  I moved her into a stall and tried to feed her by hand and help her navigate, but it only got worse. 

Today we put her down...ourselves.  I haltered her, petted her, and fed her grain from my hands, and we did it--my husband and I.  It was immediate and it was completely peaceful.  She wasn't stressed at all.

We'd never done anything like it before--neither one of us--(he was the one who actualy did).  We'd studied and concluded that for some situations and some horses, it would be the absolute best thing--humane and respectful, we just didn't know if we actually could.  We're not hunters, so it's not something we do or are used to doing.  To the end there was the temptation to pass it off to the vet, but Jasmine isn't like other horses--she doesn't trust other people...she trusts us. 

Our belief with our animals is always make decisions about quality of life and be there to the end for them.  Hold them.  Talk to them.  Feed them.  And let the last thing they know here on earth be that they are loved.   She knew that today, and that gives me some peace.

I don't want to sound corny, but I guess I am--so here goes.  I believe we'll meet on the other side.  She won't be afflicted by whatever was afflicting her.  She will no longer be scared and stand-offish.  I will no longer be the ignorant human I am today.  We will just be two spirits, at peace and able to enjoy each other.  I look forward to that. 

Goodbye, sweet little Jasmine.



17 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Jasmine!! It's never easy having to make such a difficult decision. You and your husband will be in my thoughts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry about Jasmine. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your loss, and glad you were able to give her a home until the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is clear to me that you and your family were the ones to be there for Jasmine in her final years. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its so hard, I know. Bob always does ours when it is necessary. Hate it but know that they are happiest when someone they know and love are there when they are in need. We have been there. Thinking about you. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry you had to go through that! But I'm so glad that you were able to be strong enough to help her move on in the best way possible for her. I'm not sure I could do that. What a lucky little pony to have spent her last years with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a beautiful tribute to her and you gave her such a lovely life. I just lost one of my horses and understand the terrible grief. I hope my prayers and thoughts help your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very sorry to hear about your Jasmine. She sounds like a very special girl. You and your husband gave her wonderful peaceful years until she couldn't stay anymore. I'm sure you will meet as free spirits someday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brett and I have talked about doing it ourselves before but we just can't. You and your husband are brave -- and loving and loyal. RIP sweet Jasmine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just read your comment on my post. You hit the nail on the head.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Linda for giving Jasmine the final years she needed. You understood her very well. She did trust kids and was never really comfortable around big people. The only way I could catch her was on my knees and then she would stop and look at me. I am so happy that you are the home she went to and that you kept her. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina--that means a lot to me, and I appreciate your thoughts. You understand what I mean when I say how awesome it would be to see Jasmine on the other side--unafraid of us big people. She made big strides from her perspective. I had much bigger plans, of course, but she taught me that for some horses, a little movement forward is actually monumental for them and we have to adjust our expectations. I guess it's also like that with people...and I am one of the worst with expectations. So, good lessons for me to carry through life...thanks to Jasmine.

      Delete
  12. I love what you said about having to "adjust our expectations". That is so well said, and I believe, so true. Sweet little Jasmine is at peace and resting now. I'm thankful that you put your feelings aside and did what you believed was best for her - what she would have wanted - when it was her time to go. That is a truly loving, kind and selfless act. Not an easy decision to make, and an even more difficult one to follow through with; but you did it. Thank you for loving her, doing your best by her and for respecting the little one. I'm so sorry, I've been there with my horses, and I understand your grief. It sucks, but it's a part of this life. RIP little Jasmine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The horse world needs more people like you. You will meet her on the other side someday and she will say "Thank you, my friend".

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am saddened to hear of your loss.

    The ones that have had their hearts wounded in some way seem to make the most dramatic impact on my heart. I can't help but want to fix it. But as Jasmine showed you, making it all right for them is not always what we think. She was a lucky pony to have found you in her final days.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sending lots of heartfelt condolensces...I think what you and your husband did for her-from day to day to that very last day-was amazing. Very difficult to do: what is right for them isn't always right for us but we do it out of respect and compassion. Bless you both for loving her for who she was. Your post brought tears to my eyes and I hope the support from the folks who read your blog helped bring a little bit of peace into your hearts. I do believe she will be waiting on the other side...
    with much respect and love,
    Sue and the crew

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.