Thursday, August 9, 2012

Good News, Sad News, and a Little Fun



Saw this today on Facebook and had a laugh.  So true!  Of course, it's part of a larger series of movies: The Bird Who Flew Up From Nowhere, The Wind That Blew Too Hard, The Metal Drum that Popped, and The Corner of the Arena where the Boogie-Man Hides.

And speaking of Facebook, we have a contest going on now at Real Sisters Talk for a $25.00 iTunes Gift Certificate.  If you "Like" or "Share" the page, you're entered. If you do both, you're entered twice.  I asked my sister, who books all the shows, if she could work on my "dream list" of horse trainers.  First on my list was the one and only....Buck Brannaman.  I also asked for Julie Goodnight, Chris Cox, Linda Tellington-Jones, and Mark Rashid.  I told her at the start GOOD LUCK getting any of them to come on, especially Brannaman, but give it a shot!  If any of you have any pull....please pull them our way.  I want to dedicate part (or all) of November to horse trainers.

Music month has been fun--lots of GREAT bands.  And there was another thrown in that wasn't music related, The Bitter Waiter, but we were just so lucky he wanted to be on, we took him while we could.  He's hilarious.  If you want a good laugh or have ever worked in the food service industry (as I did) you should check out his blog.  The Bitter Waiter Dot Com.

I finally got ahold of my local riding/trainer to help me put some time on the fillies--Cia and Beautiful.  He can't fit me in until September, but that actually works perfect.  It gives me more time to work with them tying and saddling.  The great thing about him is he comes to our place.  He's very patient and just "rides" them out.

In other horse and animal news:

1. Cowgirl's feet are on the mend and she's walking much better without Bute.  She's still confined to the stall.

2. Shadow, our alpha male, cut his eye open and has been confined to fly mask and stall.  It's healed up quickly, but the eye is a very, very hard place to clean....as you can imagine.

3.  Cowboy is hitting the trail with me tomorrow.  He's doing well.

4.  We got all of our baled hay put away this week.

5.  My favorite cat died--the one who came out of the wheat fields on the first day we moved into our first horse property.  The men who were putting up the pasture fence named her "Killer" because she would kill things all day in front of them.  The little girls at our house, seeing "Killer", decided to catch her, take her inside and dress her in doll clothes.  From then forward, she was named Mary Jane, or MJ.



MJ loved our dogs and would sleep on their backs every day.  It was probably her strength, but may have also been her downfall.

Saturday morning my husband came up and sat beside my bed as I slept and said, gently, I have bad news.  It was the sweetest way bad news has ever been delivered to me, and I'm thankful for his approach.  It was a hard loss for both of us. (It was the first cat he'd ever been attached to).  And what's worse, we don't really know how she died.  It wasn't a coyote because they would have taken her body, but she laid pretty peacefully in a spot where she often slept among the flowers. (She had bled out of her mouth and nose).

My husband and I had a little good-bye for her together and we buried her next to her daughter and our old dog (who she loved), Elsa, under what we call, Elsa's Rock.

That day I counted all the animals I've lost in my lifetime, and having been an animal lover, it was a lot.  I thought how nice it would be if we could opt out of death for those we love, but it's not part of the deal, is it?   We've just got to appreciate the time we have together while we have it...with the people we love, and with the animals who love us.  She was a great cat and we have lots and lots of awesome memories with her.

Here's to MJ, and every other noble being on earth.  You know them when you see them.

12 comments:

  1. Why are ads coming up on my post? Is this happening to anyone else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that comic at the start of your post. Priceless!
    When our baby miniature donkey, Little Lorenzo, died Brett woke me the same way with the news. It is hard to lose our animal friends, no matter how many of them there are. It never gets any easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it does not get any easier. That hit me right away this time. I cried all day about losing her, when you'd think, by now, I'd be more callous about it. I used to think living a life with animals, and their fragility, would make me better able to handle death, but it hasn't. I think now, the degree to which we mourn them is in direct proportion to the degree to which we enjoyed them. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Cats can be very special. Of all the animal losses I've suffered in my life (like you, its been lots), perhaps the hardest was a young gray cat who was very special. I grieved a long time. But I agree, we mourn in direct proportion to how much we've loved and enjoyed them. I wouldn't trade that away, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. Life is full of good-byes for we animal lovers. I hope we'll see them on the other side. My dad used to be a pastor, and every time an animal died I'd go to him looking for comfort, asking where their spirits had gone and if I'd see them again. I did that up until not too long ago, actually. You just want to hear someone tell you it's not completely over.

      Delete
  5. That comic is hilarious. Your writing is beautiful. Love the story behind M.J.'s names. I'm sorry for your loss. It's tough not knowing what happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I wish life had a rewind camera...or maybe not.

      Delete
  6. I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved MJ. It never gets any easier when we lose our pets. It just gets harder and harder.
    My trainer use to come to my house and train also. I loved that! That way they got to stay home but still get trained!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree--less stressful for the horses, and I think that's always a good thing. Why add stress if you don't have to? It's just so few trainers come to the home. I should say, he's not really a trainer in the usual sense of the word. You have to get them started and then he does some basic trust work and starts to ride. He's really good at teaching them to move out and work on the trail. I don't know anyone else who really does what he does. Unfortunately, he leaves for the Seattle area (racetracks) in October. :/

      Delete
  7. So sorry about your M.J. It's never easy and we miss them terribly. If we didn't love them so much if wouldn't hurt so much to say goodbye. She sounds like she had a good life and I'm sure she's met some of her old friends over the Rainbow Bridge. She's probably sleeping on Elsa back right now purring away.

    Sounds like everybody is basically doing okay with a few minor injuries. Very cool that a trainer will come to your place. That works out well.

    Hope you get at least some of your trainers to come on the show. I don't belong to Facebook but I wish you well.

    Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear about MJ. She sounds like a good cat. I'm like you, wish we could opt out of the death thing. Pretty much sucks. I hate it because it never gets easier no matter how often we have to face it. But, you're right of course, we just have to appreciate them when they're in our lives, and love them. All of them, and their good and bad parts. Make the most of every single day...

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.