Monday, May 7, 2012

Getting Ready for a Little Break



My updates on this blog have been few and far between since we started traveling so much for my husband's work.   I had really dreaded leaving our home and animals--I'd become much more of a hermit than I knew--but it opened up my life--and I think my spirit, too--in ways I couldn't have imagined.  I needed that.  I mean, I really needed that.

The Bed and Breakfast where we've been staying, No Cabbages in Gig Harbor, was the perfect place to be these last few months.  From there in the woods overlooking the water--no television, barely any internet, quiet--I could finally think, meditate and explore--like a child again.  It restored in me that child-like gift of wonder--to be a little afraid, amazed, curious, and light.  Light--like no baggage.

Not to sound too woo-woo-out-there, but I learned to like myself again.  Since my divorce, over ten years ago, and all the trauma of trying to make a new life while salvaging whatever I could from my old one--I had somehow started to see myself in a bad-light--almost like I deserved bad things to happen to me.  

Now I don't.

I'm happier than I've been in many, many years--and I'm thankful for that.  

So, I'll be taking a break while I take advantage of all this renewed energy and optimism and finish my creative projects around here.  This definitely will not be a forever break--just a little sabbatical while I enjoy the last bit of traveling, lots of alone time with my husband, and my precious moments at home with all my animals.  

As I sign off, I do want to give you an up-to-date account of the horses.  As of now, Cowboy has ceased to do the head-shaking.  I don't know if I can say the meds "cured" him, but there has definitely been a drastic change for the better.  I'll be riding him this month and test it out on the trail, but I think I can safely say he has quality of life now--and there is a lot to be said for quality of life when it comes to horses...and humans.

Cia has returned to the gentle-spirited, trusting horse she used to be, but her cinch area is chapped and tender and hasn't regrown hair.  It's still very uncomfortable for her to be touched or groomed there--let alone accept a cinch--which, of course, I haven't reintroduced to her.   She's very much still on the mend, but I have high hopes for a full recovery--in all areas--emotional and physical.

Beautiful has matured beyond my wildest dreams for her.  She used to be super reactive and fearful in the herd, but now she has risen to be one of its leaders.  I'm amazed beyond words at this transformation in her.  She seems to have made a decision not to rise to the #1 spot, but you can see it's a decision and it's not fear-based.  In fact, she eats from the leader's pile of food and eats before the alpha-mare, Cowgirl.  It's very strange, but has made for a much more intelligent Beautiful Girl.  I feel like she has fully grown up.

Shadow has been dieting for two months now, and is in the best physical shape he's been in for years!  This is wonderful news for my husband--since it's his trail horse.  Red is still old, but doing great and staying young at heart as he babysits Cowgirl, Beautiful and Cowboy in a separate pasture.

As I've been writing this post, a huge turkey ran through my yard, and it was not a wild one.  Someone is missing their Thanksgiving dinner and doesn't know it yet!

Well, I hope everyone has a great spring and summer with their horses and humans.  I will be writing over at my other blog--and sharing pictures--that is one of the creative explorations I'll be devoting myself to--gardening, writing and the study of Emily Dickinson--but this one will be quiet for a while.  I will, however, still stop in to your blogs to keep up with all your rides, training, and life-transitions!  

So keep writing and Happy Trails!! 




12 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the updates on the herd. And really pleased about Cowboy and Cia.
    I understand completely where you're coming from, sometimes we all need a break to do what needs to be done for personal reasons. I'm thinking about taking a break myself for the summer. Have a wonderful time exploring your interests and have fun with new adventures.

    P.S. Please don't ever get down on yourself it's easy to tell you're a good person from simply reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GHM--I'll still be stopping by to visit your blog--I enjoy my favorites more than anything else on the web.--and thank you.

      Delete
  2. Do what you need to do for yourself, it sounds like you're in the middle of an epic journey. The kind that you need to immerse yourself in completely. Enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way to put it--an epic--an Odyssey--a ride! Nice.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for telling us that you are taking a break. I hate it when blogger friends just disappear. Your time at Gig harbor sounds perfect -- relaxing, healing and fruitful. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was. The bed and breakfast has a strong spiritual element to it--I'm sure I was drawn to it from reading about it on the web beforehand--and it was just what I needed. Healing...absolutely.

      Delete
  4. I am so happy that Cowboy has improved so much and has a good quality of life now, and it's wonderful that all your horses are doing well. Enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra. I put a high priority on "quality of life" for my animals--and I'm happy for him (and me) that he now has it. It will be great if we ride the trails, too, but not as important as him living a full life. It makes me happy. :)

      Delete
  5. That is excellent news about Cowboy! I hope he continues his "headshake" free days!! Also happy to hear that Cia is getting her trust back. What a good girl.
    That's great that you are going to take some time. We all need that from time to time. Do what you need to do and we will be here when you come back to blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paint Girl. Good luck with your training this spring!

      Delete
  6. What great news about Cowboy! I hope that continues to be the case for him. The other horses sound like they are doing well too.

    I really liked reading your words about taking time for yourself and exploring and meditating. Interesting stuff and I'm happy to read that you are feeling happier and better than you have in many years. Enjoy that feeling and let it grow! Enjoy your blog break. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very happy for you. I can feel the serenity in your post. Be good to yourself - you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.