Monday, April 2, 2012

Getting Cia to the Trainer


What a great day!  It started with my pathological fears and ended with none of my pathological fears being realized!

9:00--Going to get Cia loaded--falsely assuming she's done that recently and it will be easy.  (In fact, she hasn't been loaded without a buddy in four years.)  She loads right in, but looks nervous.  I back her out and try to load her again to show her it's okay, but she balks.  I begin to wonder if that was a big mistake and will make me late for my 11:30 Estimated Time of Arrival.  However, the god of horses is watching over me, and Cia decides to trust me once again and reload.  I shut the divider and exit as quickly as I can, hoping her good brain and calm personality will win out.

9:15--Fifteen minutes into the drive, I begin wondering if she's broken her neck or legs.  Has she hit her head?  Is there blood back there?  Is she still alive?

9:20--I get a phone call from my sister (on bluetooth) and tell her ALL of the horror stories I've heard about trailering green horses.  Effectively, I transfer worry to her mind and calm my own.

11:27--I pull up at the ranch passing hundreds of cows who are lounging in the pasture.  

11:30--I jump out of the truck to inspect Cia.  She's in one piece (not a scratch) and looking with wide-doe-eyes at the beautiful stallion in the roundpen.

11:35--I walk her to her stall and she immediately begins to eat as if she's lived there her whole life.

11:35-1:30--Iget to relax and hang out with my friends over lunch.

1:30--We head back to the ranch to see the horses and Cia is still calm and happy.

My trainer, who is also a good friend, was showing me her husband's newest horse after we'd gotten back from lunch.  It was a beautiful, large-boned, muscular gray mare.  She told me how once it had been starved, completely emaciated and covered in lice.  It had been rescued by a woman (she gave me the name) and...more of the story.  My mind had stopped at the name of the woman.  It was my brother's fiance's name.  We compared notes trying to figure out if we were talking about the same person, and sure enough we were.

After calling my future SIL, sure enough, it had been her horse!  What a story.  She and her sister had rescued 11 horses from utter filth and deprivation.  What had happened to those horses was nothing short of HORROR.  What a happy ending for that mare.  And such a small world.

Anyway, despite my many fears, it was a wonderful day with no mishaps.

Oh yeah, I forgot...

2:30: I call my sister from the truck (bluetooth). She has anxiously been waiting to hear if Cia has broken her neck or legs and died in transit.

Oops.

11 comments:

  1. Glad it all went well - I'm bad about worrying about things too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it makes us better horsewomen! (But probably takes a few years off and adds some extra gray hairs!)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad all your fears were unfounded and Cia was fine. Sounds like she's fitting right in at her temporary home.

    It's a small world isn't it, that your future SIL was the one to rescue the gray mare. She sounds like a wonderful addition to your horsey family. I'm happy for the mare and the other horses that they were rescued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's what I was thinking...a very small world. I didn't know all that about my SIL, but I had heard she'd owned horses. Little did I know.

      Delete
  3. Hoping Cia does well with her training. She seems pretty at ease with the whole process so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that part of it really put my mind at rest. The transition away from their herd can be so stressful that they stop eating or get sick.... it's like leaving your baby at daycare. But to see her that calm and happy (I'd separated her out from our herd for two weeks before I took her) made me feel confident about leaving her. AND the benefit will be that she doesn't get overly stressed and sick.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes I find that imagining the worst that can happen is the best way of not making it happen. If that makes sense. Glad everything went well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops = LOL

    I'm glad the move went well, I admit I also break out in a cold sweat thinking about trailering my horses. Just not enough experience with it.

    Hope all goes well with Cia and the trainer. Congrats on having a great SIL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm pretty lucky, and I have to give my little brother kudos for choosing a good one. ;)

      Delete
  6. Your post made me laugh at the end. I do that too with my horses and worry about everything! Can't wait to hear training updates. I'm sure Cia will be quite content trying to show off in front of that stallion ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.