Monday, April 16, 2012

Cowboy Starts His Meds, Cia Rests

Cowboy started his medicine regime today--carbamazepine twice per day--10 pills which we'll reduce to 6 pills when he shows improvement.  For now, the mask is coming of so we can tell if there actually is an improvement, but we'll also have to have some sunlight.  My veterinarian spoke to some other veterinarians who treat more of these cases and they said they've had remarkable results--even curing it completely--with carbamezepine.   We're going to start with that and then add in cyproheptadine with it--only if necessary.  At the highest dosage it costs about $25.00 for ten days.  The cyproheptadine is much more expensive, but my vet has found a way to bring the price down.

Cia is in her stall resting.  For some reason the other horses acted like they'd never seen her before and the mares were horrible to her last night.  She had a big bite mark on her hind end this morning.  I put her in her own stall today and made many trips back and forth to just be with her and soak her girth area in warm water.  I won't be putting her out with them for a long time.  I just want her to rest and get used to being home again.  I've started doing some of the TTouches to help her relax--mostly massaging around her neck and shoulders and face (as much as she'll allow).   I'm not going to rush her back into training, but when the opportunity is right, I do want to move quickly and keep her going.  I'll probably start with light ground work and go from there.

11 comments:

  1. Thats great that Cowboy started his meds! Can't wait to hear how he does.
    Poor Cia. It's no fun being picked on. I agree that you should get her training started back up as soon as you can. And definitely lots of ground work. I think thats why Chance is so good about everything. I did so much ground work with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chance is doing great. She's a level-headed horse and you can see the ground work really paid off!

      Delete
  2. Do you have any thoughts on why the horses were mean to Cia after her absence? Were they threatened by her presence? Or intimidated in some way? I hope she's feeling better today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne--I have thoughts about everything! lol. Personally, I think her return offset the balance. There are two teams in my herd--Team Shadow and Team Red. They all love Red and wish he was the leader, but Cowgirl and Beautiful most want to raise up Red. Cowboy and Cia are docile horses who go where needed--in this case, with Shadow. Cia, more than any of them is close to Shadow--if any can be said to be "close" to Shadow--and while she was away, Beautiful and Cowgirl challenged him much, much more than normal. Beautiful even went into his stall while he was eating and backed into him like she was going to kick him out of there! She's super gutsy. However, eventually Shadow will make Cia Beautiful's boss again. And quite honestly, that will probably be good for her.

      Delete
  3. I just got a chance to catch up and read about Cia coming home. I bet that was a big disappointment. I bet she'll be more settled if she's trained at home. I hope none of the dangerous behavior starts up again.

    Too bad about the cinch sore! Poor girl! I wonder why that happened.

    Funny you mention the herd treating her badly when she got home. Yesterday when I got home after being gone 3 days, Tonka was so happy to see his herd but Scout acted like a total jerk to him for a few minutes. Then they settled back in. I wonder whether he was trying to be Top Dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they do like to be top dog while the other's gone and don't want to relinquish the title! Yes, it is disappointing about Cia. :/

      Delete
  4. You might get two comments from me, I sent one earlier (I think) from my ipad but in truth I think it's lost in space.

    Good to hear Cowboy will be starting his meds. I hope they help him, poor guy.

    I feel for Cia too, here she was coming home to her safe place and they start picking on her. I think she'll do good with some rest so she can just settle. When she's ready to be ridden again I think if you start slowly with consistent small steps she'll enjoy her at home training. Eventually, I think the others will leave her alone and things will get back to normal. You really have your hands full right now. Never a dull moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'd like for things to go easy again. I'm starting to forget what that felt like!

      Delete
  5. Hopefully the herd will relax about Cia soon. We sold one of our horses to a neighbor girl (it was love) and a few years later he came back to us, when she couldn't keep him anymore. His best buddy in our herd hauled out and kicked him, breaking his jaw. Nice welcome home, huh. I wonder what the dynamics are sometimes. Wouldn't it be great if that medication works for Cowboy? I've got my fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that story--just horrible! It could have happened here the other night with the way they were. :/ Yes, it would be wonderful if the meds work. I should know better, but I'm starting to get optimistic.

      Delete
  6. Sending lots of good vibes Cowboy's way. Hope the meds help. I was thinking that with Cia too, that while she was gone the herd's "pecking order" switched and now they're trying to figure out where she belongs again. Horses are so funny. Gives me something to think about when I bring mine home too. Might have to leave them seperated for a couple of days just in case.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.