Sunday, February 5, 2012

TTouch Beginner Video & Sunday Stills


I couldn't wait to get to the barn this morning.  As soon as they'd eaten their breakfast, my husband and I ran out to do their TTouches.  Unfortunately, we hadn't caught our pony, so she didn't get a session today.

It was a different day for both Beautiful and Cowboy.  Cowboy was as calm as we've ever seen him and had totally bought into these sessions.  We ran out of battery power during his taping, but it was all very relaxing.  He didn't yawn at all.  When we were done he was standing squarely on all four and stood balanced all day.

I learned a lot about pressure and little it takes to accomplish TTouch.  I was pushing too hard and they trained me to lighten up and loosen my phalanges.  I still have a lot to learn as I watch the tapes from today, the DVD, and refer back to the book, but the only way to learn at all is by doing it.  You have to start somewhere, and, good news, they seem to make huge gains even with inept Touchers.

For the Sunday Stills I photographed liquids from around our house and our trip to Gig Harbor.  I noticed  I focused solely on runoff and melt, but I did think the ice and snow provided a great contrast to the liquid in ponds and harbors.










6 comments:

  1. Wow, they really seem to love it. I noticed Cowboy's ears following you as you moved around him, listening to your voice. The whole environment around the process just seems very chill. Thanks for letting us have a look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's pretty relaxing in the barn, but the barn cats you see running around in the video were a bit of a distraction. They were having lots of fun play fighting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is pretty intriguing. I have to admit in the past I haven't taken TTouch seriously but I'll have to look into it a little deeper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was with you, Andrea, even though it was recommended from the trainer I most respect in the world (who you'd never associate with such a program because she's a ranch-grown, common-sense trainer 100%). I tended to cherry-pick from her methods--mostly using the personality/pain assessment--which is right on...the worried expressions in mouth and eyes, set of ears, etc. But the touches? I barely went there except to use them during farrier, etc.

    At the very least, if you use the TTouch, you will gain a more relaxed horse, a better knowledge of their aches, pains and sensitive areas (like cinch, tail, belly) and a horse who takes bridle and bit, wormer, stands better for the farrier and vet, and all the things that work around the head and legs will solve. That is the minimum you will walk away with.

    When I was out this morning the thought came to me...or the question...do I think Cowboy will be a trail horse again through the use of TTouch?

    The honest answer is no. I could be wrong, but I don't want to get my hopes up. My goal is only to give him a better quality of life, a release from the pain and stress of his injury (however short it may be) and to continue riding him around here.

    For Beautiful and Cia, I consider it the newest cornerstone of my saddle training. And for Jasmine, I believe very strongly it is going to transform our relationship. She already allows something she NEVER allowed before which is for me to come up when she's completely free on our property and pet her. She won't let me halter her yet, but after so short a time with TTouch, I know it's going to happen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good news! I'm in the process of making an appointment with a very knowledgeable TTouch practitioner who has been doing this since the '80s and trained with Linda Tellington-Jones and her sister! I spoke with her on the phone and she is all common sense and information. She's going to come here and work with some of my horses and me....with the emphasis on me since I have 7 different horses to work with. I told her what I've experienced so far and she said that is all very common with this approach. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I might have to look into this for Donnie our resident worrier and all around tense guy. Your horses seem to accept it very well. I'll be interested to hear when Jasmine lets you halter her. Great news about actually having a trainer come out and show you how to progress further. That's very exciting.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.