Saturday, February 11, 2012

Ceramics & Horses


The great thing about traveling is that it gets you out of your comfort zone.  Our weekly trips to Gig Harbor have definitely done that for me.  Besides taking the time to study TTouch, catching up on Heartland episodes, reading all the books I started and didn't finish, having fabulous date-nights with the husband at wonderful restaurants, and walking along the water and in the mystical woods, I've also been hanging out at a coffee and ceramic shop called Java & Clay.

My first mug was practice, but it fired a much deeper color than what you see here.  I would take another picture of it finished, but I didn't want to carry it on the plane so I left it there for now.



My second mug is a travel version.  It's done in a deep Red Tuscan, but it looks almost pink before it's fired.  I painted two coats of white underneath, and then four coats of the Tuscan Red, then etched the hieroglyphs. 


It's a very relaxing way to spend time and the girls who work there are GREAT, but if we keep this travel thing up for long, I'm going to have a lot of dinnerware!  As you can see, I have one thing on my mind....HORSES!


7 comments:

  1. What fun! I'd love to do something like that. I can't wait to see what they look like after they're fired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you free-hand those hieroglyphs? They are pretty cute! Make yourself a snack plate to go with it.
    Bionic Cowgirl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funder, I'm sorry I accidentally deleted your comment as I was trying to publish it from my phone!

    Andrea--It's fun. We have a couple of places who do it here in town, too. I'm going to take my kids. I don't know if any combine it with espresso/bakery/wine shop, but they should!

    Bionic Cowgirl, I did a basic drawing of two hieroglyphs on paper first, and then the girl who was helping me suggested I take a pencil and make dots (indentions) on my mug (the basic form), then etch it out. So, yeah, freehand, but the dots were very smart...gave my eye somewhere to go. I like that they're all different...some look like giraffes, some like dogs, some like horses! haha. I love the idea of a snack plate. I'm going to do it. I'm also going to make a Special Day plate. I've always wanted one for the kids, and now they're almost all grown up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! and wonderful tat you have found another creative outlet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like fun. Nice job on the mugs, I've always wanted to try doing stuff like this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like fun. Nice job on the mugs, I've always wanted to try to do something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very beautiful post : )

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.