Wednesday, January 11, 2012

T-Touch for Everything?


I just received my copy of The Ultimate Horse Behavior and Training Book: Enlightened and Revolutionary Solutions for the 21st Century by Linda Tellington-Jones.  It's a much more in-depth use of T-Touch than the older version of the book I have.  I also received the DVD where Tellington-Jones shows you how to apply the touch. 

The book is so much more than I hoped for.  There's a large section on problems: pulling back when tied (Beautiful), rearing, crowding your space, etc, and then the corresponding humane techniques for dealing with them.  Her emphasis is on the WHOLE horse--body and mind--on the ground and in the saddle.

It makes so much sense to me.  First, if you don't have your horse's heart on the ground, how will you ever get it in the saddle.  And, what do horses do with each other to show they have given their hearts?  They groom--"t-touch"--each other.  Helping your horse relax by doing these basic body massages can only help the two of you when you get in the saddle and head out for a ride. 

I'm a person who has to SEE it to do it.  I had incorporated some of the T-Touch long ago, about nine years previous, because of Cowboy's high-headed nervousness, and it worked wonderfully even though I, apparently, wasn't doing it right.  My circles were much more haphazard, where they are clear in the DVD that they should start at 6 o'clock and move around a couple times and end on 12 o'clock.

I can't tell you how excited I am to incorporate it into all my horse's lives and in a much broader way.   I think it will help them, not just Cowboy.  In fact, I think it will help me, too.  Linda Tellington-Jones does say that the human benefits just as much as the horse from these exercises.  Think about it, you tune into your entire horse and slow down enough to "think" about them rather than just throwing on your saddle and getting a completely utilitarian experience.  That worked for me for a long time with Cowboy, but it doesn't anymore.  He has more needs--more aches and pains--and I need to slow down and listen to what his body is telling me and then take the time to help him relax and stretch. 

I'm taking the DVD and book with me on my trip this week, so I'll have a lot more to say about it in a few days. 

My thoughts right now after perusing the materials--it's all about the relationship with the horse--the whole relationship--otherwise, we might as well all ride motorcycles.

5 comments:

  1. I love your last line... we might as well ride motorcycles. I have friends who are hard core dressage competitors, keep their horses in full time training, show up for lessons and shows. They look at me like I'm from Mars when I say I want my horse with me at home and we will take our time progressing. It is ALL about the relationship. I do t-touch in a haphazard way as well. I'm looking forward to your posts on the subject!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annette--I just don't get that--the showing up and jumping on a horse. I know a few people, too, with expensive (insured) horses--and it's almost a business to them. Actually, now that I think about it, I know too many people who it's a "business." My close friends, however, all look at it as a relationship. Very much so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting book. Sounds like something everyone who loves horses should read and implement. I look forward to seeing/reading how the techniques help for you and your horses.

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd rather have a relationship with my horse instead of treating them like a vehicle. There were many"show" barns we were at where the horse was a means to an end (mainly a 10 cent ribbon) and meant nothing to them. It was like when this one is broken I'll get a new one. Anyway, your new DVD and book sounds interesting. I'll be looking forward to hearing how it goes with the horses when you put it to use. Have a nice trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope TTouch is working well for you, I've picked up a few things from her that I've found super helpful like leg circles for horses that try to yank them away from me.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.