Monday, August 15, 2011

Still Getting Better & Extreme Vacations

Strong mares fear nothing.
Strong stallions fear mares.


Wisdom from Beel & Juanita--It's a Horse Life.

Red's ear is getting better and he went back to his place as #2. The incident shook Shadow up, though, and now he won't let Red anywhere near the herd. Red is so preoccupied with his mares that he won't even eat his grain when I lock him away from them.

There's so much I don't know about what's going on with all them that I can't tell what's instigating it. The bright side is that fatty Shadow is getting into much better shape with all the chasing and worrying. He looks the best he has all summer.

Fetlock brought up an interesting point about Bute and old horses on the last post. If Bute gave Red that much of a new lease on life, it sure is tempting to give it to him more often, but is the risk of injury too great? Is it okay to make a 31 year old horse feel 3 again?

In other news, we just got off what I now refer to as my husband's Extreme Vacation. Almost every day of his vacation we did something we probably shouldn't have--biking, hiking and golfing. We took each of those sports a little further than our ages would recommend we should have (the Bute effect in humans.) I'm battered and severely bruised, but still alive. I won't bore you with the details--you'll just have to take my word for it. I will say, though, sometimes bikes make horses look real safe.

It started like this...



Then this....



I'm such a sucker! I didn't know what was in store for me at the top!



la la la...fun times. Ignorance is still bliss.



Getting higher.



Hmmm...the road is closed? That little trail is for us? My, what big rocks you have. My, what big tree roots you have. My, what steep cliffs you have!!!



I'm going to die!!!!!!

A few hours later (it took us 2 hours to get off the mountain) we saluted our precious, dear, wonderful lives.



And, I won a book! I never win blog contests, but apparently, I did this time. I won, Cutter, by Laura Crum. As soon as I get it, I'll read it and let you know how it is.


6 comments:

  1. Glad the older guy is feeling spry, wonder if the Bute is the reason. Anyway, sounds like a great vacation but I'm exhausted just thinking about all that exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You dared to go up a ski lift to bike down?! I'm impressed. I think I will still let my horse do the work, thank you very much. Glad you had a good time.

    The horses will shake things out themselves...and it sure is fun to watch.
    Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you on the trip! How fun.

    And yes, it is sad about these old ponies and how a little pharmaceutical magic can make such a difference. I remember reading in one of Temple Grandin's books about "pain guarding" (how animals will automatically protect an injured limb by limping, etc.) and it's easy to see how if you take some or all of the pain away, they probably won't naturally "guard" those old joints any more.

    Just like we old humans, that tend to regret decisions like biking down steep mountains and etc! Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda--I mailed Cutter off to you yesterday--would have been sooner but my little boy has been sick. You got the hardcover--the cover you posted is the paperback and it has ALWAYS irked me. Do you notice that the supposed cutting horse in the photo is wearing an English saddle? I was quite annoyed with the publisher over that one. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the story--glad you won the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda--I mailed Cutter off to you yesterday--would have been sooner but my little boy has been sick. You got the hardcover--the cover you posted is the paperback and it has ALWAYS irked me. Do you notice that the supposed cutting horse in the photo is wearing an English saddle? I was quite annoyed with the publisher over that one. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the story--glad you won the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a good book. I have most of Laura Crum's books and they are a good read :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.