Thursday, August 18, 2011

Bella Vita



Never a dull moment at our house. This week has been a wash with the horses--I've been more nurse-maid than trainer-rider, but you know what--that's the reality of life with horses. They're not tools to me--or hobbies--or entertainment--they're part of my family and a way of life. The deal with family is that you take on many different roles with one another. My role this week was back-scratcher, tummy itcher, and militant ear sprayer and mask finder.

I kind of beat myself up about it for a few days...I'm not out there riding them...what kind of owner am I? Then I reminded myself that the last thing they really want is for me to ride them. Riding is my thing, not theirs. At my core, I am a laid back horse owner, but the benefit of this is that I raise laid-back horses.

Part of why I put riding on the back-burner, besides the obvious maladies of the herd, is the upcoming football bbq I'm helping to put together. It's this Saturday in Cheney, WA. It's the first one we've ever done, but hopefully it will continue to be an annual event. There's been a tremendous learning curve, but I think it's going to be a success.






The other reason is that we've started another house project--sunroom (conservatory), deck extension and roof extension. It's something we've wanted to do for a long, long time. Spokane is a cold place to live most of the time, but this room will allow us to be outside anyway...kind of. We're doing all the work ourselves with our boys and yesterday had the foundation poured (picture above).

Bella Vita, and Happy Trails to all of you who are riding right now.

6 comments:

  1. Don't feel too bad- I haven't ridden this week either. Time constraints is my excuse! Mowing lawns, preserving veggies from the garden, building fence, etc.- it's funny how quickly a day can slip away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, good luck with the BBQ! Yep, life gets in the way a lot in the horse world - or any other, for that matter - but horses are very loving and forgiving, taking each day as it comes. I've had lots of guilty moments the last few days/weeks about the lack of time I am spending with our herd, but that will pass as the summer comes to a close and our guests slow down.
    Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement, Juanita and Shirley. It's good to know other people have the same issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, I just love your philosophy about horse ownership. I feel the same way at my core, though sometimes struggle with guilt about the *shoulds* of horse ownership (should ride more, should train more, should....). You reminded me that I don't have these animals in my life to provide me entertainment either, just as I didn't have children to provide me anything. The horses are so content to just *be.* What a great lesson they teach us. It seem to be a lesson I need to learn over and over!

    Lovely sunroom - Coffee there this winter for us gals? I'll bring food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that is a GOOD idea--coffee in the sunroom this winter. We'll do that as soon as it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get a great deal of pleasure from reading your blog, Linda--I had to grin because I was just kicking myself for the same things. Once a wise friend of mine listened to me list off a litany of "shoulds" and she said, "You know, Lisa, you need to treat the word 'should' like another word that starts with 'sh' that stinks."

    "Riding is my thing, not theirs..." yep. That is quite the quotable line!

    Good luck with the BBQ. Hubby and I both are EWU grads, and we have fond memories of Cheney.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.